Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

weltweit

Given the barely contained anti car feeling in the recent expensive train thread I think it may be time for a thread in praise of the private car and the freedom it brings.

After many years with a turbo diesel which while ok, was not the most economical, (I used to get 400m from a tank of £60.00 diesel) I now have a 1.2L 3 cylinder petrol Corsa which seems to cost £48.00 to fill the tank and will also do 400 miles per tank, making it quite economical.

So car users have to pay for :
1) the purchase price of the car
2) insurance
3) road tax
MOT test and consumables, petrol, tyres etc

I wouldn't be without my car, go where I want when I want, fill the hatchback with all manner of things, way more than I could carry in a train or coach .. carry 5 people including myself .. a dog .. and I can hide valuables in the boot when I don't want to carry them.

So a thread about cars and how great they are. By all means compare journeys by car with other means or whatever ..

Once, in Northampton, I had a nasty experience with a child and my car. I was waiting for a light to change and a woman appeared pressing through the cars dragging a recalcitrant child with her. She pushed into the road and ran directly into the front of my car then collapsing, with the child, beneath the bonnet!

Horrified I climbed out, went to the front of the car to see her rising to her feet and, without uttering a sound, continue dragging her unhappy child towards the opposite pavement.

Actually, I don't think so. The vast majority of the population of the UK lives in places where public transport is patchy at best, for them the car is the best solution for their transport needs and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable.
if the money spent on private cars was spent on public transport....

well i think we all will have to eventually, especially if we don't get over our fetish for the motorcar and keep burning that fuel.
We'll be fine for several lifetimes yet. Especially with people like you about. You make it possible for people like me to drive 3 litre turbocharged cars and be an extremely frequent flyer, so I've decided to pair-up with you. I'm just using the fuel that you're not, so the net effect is to even out the carbon footprint, and between us we're burning no more than two normal people.

I think we make a pretty good team but I'm buying a second car soon so I need you to put some thought into finding something else to cut down on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom