Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A proper waterproof coat - help required!

A former housemate of mine, at my old place several years ago now, once gave me a brand new Barbour jacket, still in its wrapper. Granted, it's now been properly worn in and so looks nothing like as nice as it once did, but it's nice to have.

Especially as it was free, gratis and for nothing.

They'll keep out rain, wind and cold, but do have the slight disadvantage of smelling unless properly washed regularly.

TKmaxx have loads in at the moment, I got a really nice craghoppers one for 39.99 but they had some nice black sprayway ones in as well.

It's a fucking liberty. What works in Bristol obviously wouldn't work in the enlightened North.

(the locals might try to eat me :()

Bless you Bob. Although i'll need a size up, not being that slight ;)

(no fucking graditude really :mad:....)

(;))

Oh yeah, if it's really pissing it down, invest in a scarf, stops water getting down your neck. Also don't wear much under it as those things also stop wind dead and you will get warm if you're wandering about.

I used to think it rained a lot in Manchester, till I moved here :D

Sorry, that's not very helpful, is it? :(

Okay then Rizzy, lend him your waterproof and you can wear something so uber stylish that nobody'll care what he looks like.:cool:

1) Find a shop that does proper outdoor activity gear - Blacks or similar.

Proper outdoor shop? Blacks? Hahaha.

They sell underspeced gear for over inflated prices and the few bits of gear they have that do the job are brands that fetch silly money, with staff who haven't got a clue. TBH honest I'd avoid things like Berghaus and The North Face unless it has very healthy discounts on it, which is the kind of stuff that Blacks tend to favour. There own brand technicals stuff does the job, but again is overpriced.

Maybe have a look at places like themountainfactor.com or if on a smaller budget gearzone. Now is a good time to buy as places clear out summer ranges ready for winter, so have look round then web and see what you can find.

It depends what you mean by waterproof and what you need it for. I bought a thin waterproof, windproof, breatheable jacket from millets about 10 years ago. It basically looks like a cheap kagool but it's never let me down in summer showers or winter downpours. I've bought more expensive kit since and despite the price and name it turned out to be crap that needed reproofing regularly.

Proper outdoor shop? Blacks? Hahaha.

Seconded! Not for a very long time now. :(

My suggestion - an offshore survival suit:

CMS_6-138-mainImg.jpg

You even get a version with built-in lifebelt:

revere1409.gif

They usually cost around £500 but you can fairly easilly pick them up in the pubs round here for a tenth of that. :D

It depends what you mean by waterproof and what you need it for. I bought a thin waterproof, windproof, breatheable jacket from millets about 10 years ago. It basically looks like a cheap kagool but it's never let me down in summer showers or winter downpours. I've bought more expensive kit since and despite the price and name it turned out to be crap that needed reproofing regularly.

Well waterproof and breathable are mutually incompatible, as to make something breathable means putting lots of tiny holes in it. Its really easy to make cheap waterproof clothing, but it tends not breath.

I tend to be a big fan of Paramo gear, which is probably overkill for the OP, but lasts for ever, provided you treat it. Goretex is far more forgiving of not being treated, but in my experience dies after a couple of years (or sooner) of heavy use.

Well waterproof and breathable are mutually incompatible, as to make something breathable means putting lots of tiny holes in it. Its really easy to make cheap waterproof clothing, but it tends not breath.

I tend to be a big fan of Paramo gear, which is probably overkill for the OP, but lasts for ever, provided you treat it. Goretex is far more forgiving of not being treated, but in my experience dies after a couple of years (or sooner) of heavy use.

Sure but it depends what you're using it for. It makes me laugh when I see some people walking around town in their goretex coat and boots. I've got an amazing amount of use out of a far cheaper jacket that I know has seen more altitude and lots more miles. It's not about one item of clothing, however much it costs, it's about layering and having clothing that is multi-functional.

I bought some North Face Gortex walking shoes, as my New Balance ones were not very good in the rain - utter rubbish! Yes, they stop the rain getting in, but my feet sweat so much in them that I still end up with soaking wet socks!

Back
Top Bottom