Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A proper waterproof coat - help required!

Balbi

Hey, Dean Yager!
I'm in Manchester, and it rains as if the sea's making an airborne invasion.

My previously 'alright in rain' coats are now becoming 'alright, if you like pockets full of water' coats :mad: Even my army parka's 'orrible!

So I need a decent length, very waterproof coat to survive the commute in and out every day :)

Any suggestions urbs?

20904.jpg

I'm getting a new Regatta waterproof this year to replace my old knackered one. They're quite good. :)

Millets or Blacks is probably your best bet. I got a nice Four Seasons one from Jolleys in Bath (House of Fraser) which is great for walking to work in winter, but it was quite pricy - £140 or so. What's your budget? Barbour do some lovely waxed jackets but they are £200 plus.

TK Maxx usually have loads as well.

Budget's about 50 quid :)

Umbrellas are a bit unwieldy in the wind, and trying to shuffle along the towpath with one potentially risks more water than i'm prepared to deal with.

1) Find a shop that does proper outdoor activity gear - Blacks or similar.

2) You probably need at least taped seams, pockets with flaps (which velcro shut so they don't collect water), at least a 1" overlap (with velcro) to stop water getting through the front zip, and pref a 2 way zip so that you can walk/run/cycle comfortably, even if the waterproof is longer than hip length.

3)BTW hip length is fine as long as you don't mind getting a wet backside. Cagoules are just about okay for keeping dry if worn with waterproof trousers - which tend to be pretty vile.:eek:

4) You'll probably get what you pay for, don't go for the absolute cheapest. Regatta and Henry Loyd are about the priciest you'll need.

5) A good waterproof which will remain good is unlikely to be under £50 for an adult size, but it will last you. Just make sure you can easily fit at least one warm layer under it.

Budget's about 50 quid :)

Umbrellas are a bit unwieldy in the wind, and trying to shuffle along the towpath with one potentially risks more water than i'm prepared to deal with.

I'd look in Millets or TK Maxx then. Blacks is a bit more expensivve as they tend to do North Face and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom