Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

76 Children Unaccounted For in Brighton

Joe Chi Min

Eco-Zealot
Banned

What in the actual fuck has gone on here?

‘The Home Office has said it is the local authority's duty to protect children, but the council has said responsibility for the safety and welfare of youngsters lies with the Home Office.’

Apologies if there’s already a thread..

It’s being discussed on the Braverman thread, but it does need its own thread, and it’s shameful that the BBC haven’t given the story more prominence.

Probably referring to the Afghan double-murderer who went to school in this country aged "14" but was actually 18 and then stabbed a Royal Marine over an e-scooter:

TBF I would be pretty pissed if he'd been sat next to me in year 9.

Reactions: tim
To be clear you don't believe that anti migration right wing types believe this?
Here's a couple of tweets to indulge your tedious bullshit

to be clear: i don't trust you and like to see you back up your claims. and your claiming two tweets by one twat as support tells me all i need to know about the strength of your claim. pitiful.

It's bloody ridiculous buck passing, that's what is fucking going on. :mad:
It's one of those things that falls between the cracks as to who is responsible be it the Home Office or the Council, its probably all very fuzzy as to who does that. Add in the fact that budgets are going to be tight on all sides and the number of people who actually care about doing it is probably small then it's hardly surprising.
It all seems very vague how many are missing? When they say children do they mean primary age or middle teens (I would guess mostly the latter but I bet no-one actually knows) Have some been abducted? Have some just seized the chance to skip off when no-one is looking? No-one probably knows record keeping is clearly not being done to a high standard never mind anything else.

Probably referring to the Afghan double-murderer who went to school in this country aged "14" but was actually 18 and then stabbed a Royal Marine over an e-scooter:

TBF I would be pretty pissed if he'd been sat next to me in year 9.
No, it was this one Tory shame of asylum-seeking children missing from hotel run by Home Office. The comments are fucking vile and the "not really children" line is vomited out repeatedly.

am I being cynical thinking it's intentional...let them run wild, get into trouble and in front of a beak, then you can deport them easily...?

I wouldn't put it past the Home Office

am I being cynical thinking it's intentional...let them run wild, get into trouble and in front of a beak, then you can deport them easily...?

I wouldn't put it past the Home Office
Every kid that goes missing is one no one has to pay to put up somewhere. This is how they ended up in hotel purgatory to begin with. It's literally just the grooming gangs thing all over again, no change despite all the media hype

Not exactly related but if there's any justice, care homes are the next big scandal. I work with kids in these homes and some of the stories I hear from them are horrendous, prosecutable. And I meant to type that earlier but couldn't decide if it was appropriate to this specific thread. Then this just happened on the BBC site.

Agency staff are a massive problem IME

As someone who has supported and tried to safeguard children inside and outside of the care system, I sincerely hope that when they become adults they get to sue both their Local Authorities and central government.

This is not to denigrate the often desperate and essential work done by many dedicated professionals. This is what we do for a living. But systemically it's failing. Finance, resources, the court system, the fleeing brain drain...

I don't know. It's just bleak and overwhelming. The government demonstrably gives not one shit. The next government might give more of a shit, but will be too tentative. We will need to rebuild from first principles and fuck knows how that would look or where to start.

continues to rage at the sense of futility

ETA: And, of course, the intoduction of 'the market' taking priority over people's lives. Leeches.

Last edited:
When they say children do they mean primary age or middle teens (I would guess mostly the latter but I bet no-one actually knows) Have some been abducted? Have some just seized the chance to skip off when no-one is looking? No-one probably knows record keeping is clearly not being done to a high standard never mind anything else.

That's my experience with it. When you hit 17 or so the care accommodation starts showing you what housing is available and often it's not great.
A lot of the people around you are making money doing deliveroo stuff (with fake NI details I hear) and so you just head down that route.
Not everyone of course but I've seen it happening a couple of times.

It's one of those things that falls between the cracks as to who is responsible be it the Home Office or the Council, its probably all very fuzzy as to who does that. Add in the fact that budgets are going to be tight on all sides and the number of people who actually care about doing it is probably small then it's hardly surprising.
It all seems very vague how many are missing? When they say children do they mean primary age or middle teens (I would guess mostly the latter but I bet no-one actually knows) Have some been abducted? Have some just seized the chance to skip off when no-one is looking? No-one probably knows record keeping is clearly not being done to a high standard never mind anything else.
I know a little about this from my work with local authorities and the Police on missing from children's homes albeit 7 years ago. Generally, 80% of UASCs are over 16 years old , predominately male and initially placed with the local authority where they landed either by sea or air . Hence Kent gets the lions share.

That age group is normally likely to be placed in children's homes or 'semi-independent living'. Kent has a large number of children looked after or for whom they provide assistance not only due to UASCs but the size of the authority and the proliferation of private children's homes that take placements from other boroughs.

The whole children's care home business is rife with the fragmentation of arms length children home, private homes, agency staff, a lack of local authority oversight and decision making.

Exactly this.
Got me thinking whilst watching the football.

I did some work on the issue of children's homes for Ann Coffey who was at that time the Labour MP for Stockport. She employed a research student and I oversaw the research project with our policy team and the Police. At that time we had a big issue with not only missing from homes but crime spikes in localities as other councils used private homes in Stockport to place kids who were spree offenders. We even had one case where an old lady was killed by two teenage burglars from Yorkshire who had been placed at a private home. Stockport children's Services hadn't been notified of the placement, the Police in Yorkshire hadn't informed the Police in Stockport and the Council weren't aware of the existence of the Children's home as a change of purpose of the property didn't require planning permission at the time.

Anyway, when we say business I mean business, I recall that it was estimated then that 75-80% of children's homes nationally were for profit and that a similar percentage of the top ten children's homes companies were owned or linked heavily to private equity firms, not just UK based but internationally Canada, the USA and others. I haven't got access to the research over here but I dare say it's on the internet somewhere. That research must be at least a decade or so old, now some of the communication will be more joined up and we closed the loophole in planning and change of use , one offshoot was that our PRU's then ended up with more pupils from these homes however I can't see anything that has happened that's going to drastically change those headline figures tbh.

Last edited:
Tell you what though. The children's home kids are the toughest, most resilient of the kids I work with, 99 times out of 100. Being put in 'care' seems to build a certain character not seen even in other children who've had 'ACES' (adverse childhood experiences is the common buzzword of the day). There is a difference between them and kids who have massive shit but still live with a parent/grandparent.

Back
Top Bottom