Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

YouTube finds

BristolEcho

We watch a lot of YouTube and so this thread is for channels, or videos that you particularly enjoy.

Two channels we've been watching a lot of recently are Hannah Alonzo's Anti-MLM videos.

I got into this one via the Anti-MLM Reddit page and she does a great job of breaking down the scammy companies and people involved.

She does some great deep dives too into some of the companies too. Like Elomir who are an American MLM selling.... Well the usual crap really.

We've also started watching Fundie Fridays recently who exposes and explores Christian Fundamentalism.

Such as the "Girl Defined" sisters. You can see how a lot of the alt-right views drip down from these people.

On the slightly more chilled vibe this guy delivering Uber eats and Deliveroo was strangely enjoyable.

This guy does good football videos that cross over into politics. For example this video is about a football stadium, but really it's about Lithuania's recent history.

This group do videos called War History, General Knowledge, Geography and all sorts of off shoots.

I'd not heard about the fire bombing of Tokyo before this video was awful, but interesting. Gave me some good leap offs for reading.

Quite like the new Spicer series too.

This group do videos called War History, General Knowledge, Geography and all sorts of off shoots.

I'd not heard about the fire bombing of Tokyo before this video was awful, but interesting. Gave me some good leap offs for reading.

Quite like the new Spicer series too.

1000 degrees it was, the winds fanned the flames caused by incessant bombing. Must have felt like hell.

A fucking war crime.

Watched this last night, all about the effect of changing technology in street lighting through the decades in Los Angeles and Hong Kong has played a massive part in the 'look' of noir films over the ages. In LA, he explores the incandescent era to mercury vapor (green tint) in the 70s, and sodium (orange) in the 80s/90s and now into the LED (bright white) era. In Hong Kong he explores the demise of Neon lighting in the era of LEDs, and how the disappearing aesthetic was captured through movies, citing Michael Mann's Collateral as a brilliant example of capturing a point in time where digital shooting in high def was able to perfectly capture the nighttime look of its era . This sort of thing is bang up my alley.

Watched all this fellas films in the last couple of weeks, very relaxing, archeological interest, exploring

Reactions: Ax^
YT has been triggering my OCD with this channel today ....
So a bit like limberjacking but with added 7kv cables...
Yet another job I could never have done ...

Last edited:
I've said it on other threads, but I just like watching people talk. Which is an odd but curiously popular thing. Video essayists etc.

The Knotted awards for great and current content go to:

I keep recommending leftist youtuber FD Signifier. Very US based on (US) black issues and manosphere stuff and feminism but also hip hop, anime and other pop culture things. This one in particular is a bit of tour de force

Dr Justin Sledge of Esoterica offers a tremendous wealth of knowledge on all things religion/occult/esoteric. An absolutely fantastic educator, although what he offers may not be what you are looking for. Here's his most recent video which happens to be on Marxism. It's not what you fear it might be, no bullshit, no conspiracies just detailed scholarship.

If you're not subscribed to Rebecca Watson you really should be. Usually posts about twice a week with short well researched videos on science and scepticism, usually on things in the news and politically charged or controversial. Most recent here:

My other main must watch regular biweekly youtuber is Maggie of deepfocuslens who does film criticism/review. This is not analysis and it's not usually spoiler heavy. She'll help you navigate the strangest David Lynch film or give you some smart feelings about the latest blockbuster. I've watched this channel grow over the last few years and its beginning to get quite big now. Basic but intelligent. Latest video (haven't watched it yet):

Spikima Movies is a film analysis (not review/criticism) channel. And absolutely worth it if you are even tangentially interested in cinematography or filmcraft in general. Spoiler heavy though. I really liked this video about Climax, a lot has been said about the camera angles but Spikima focuses on the music choices.

I carry the 12tone music analysis channel around the internet recommending it to anybody who will give me half a chance like an evangelic carries around the bible and talks to people about Jesus. Most people aren't interesting in music analysis and many are curiously hostile to it. Ignore these people. This is where it is at.

The audience for political commentary on science and the sociology of science is perhaps surprisingly not that small. It's great seeing this rather niche channel do so well. Dr Fatima leftist ex-astronomer. Check her out. This video in particular is a tour de force:

Jesse Gender is an autistic transwoman Star Trek fanatic and is really good at the Youtube video essay. Here's nearly six hours (!!!!) of detailed thought and political commentary about Star Wars. I don't even like Star Wars much and I would still say that this is six hours well spent. Somewhere in the region beyond tour de force. I was quite emotional by the end.

Quite a startling piece this, the guy doing the interview has a weird clowning thing going on (all part of YouTube vernacular I guess) but ignoring that, the actual guts of a former employee describing their treatment by Youtube's biggest star is absolutely damning portrait of one of the most influential nu-media figures around today.

Back
Top Bottom