Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP YouTube

Most of the people who make content for YouTube rely on ad revenue, so if you do block ads, but value their content, you really should chuck some money to them in other ways (Patreon, Kofi etc.)
Fair enough. I have done that occasionally. Probably should do it more. I don't actually block ads that much. I just don't agree that it's wrong to do so in principle. We don't, and shouldn't, have to accept such things passively.

I never see ads on YouTube because I use AdBlockPlus
but have just had an email from them asking me to choose a handle.
Hi bluescreen

B7DCh9hBAtRu5QC_KCAKZem3iTBwNo1hkZx49PQW0EIoIBRUzrvQDoynLuHCMAFQr2AWHY0ERMn_RW9ttsfB5pX6yKaK_Q962guaZj-a8wd5EXPduSO9L5d_Tt9IxCoKcuUoUCPsimjaug=s0-d-e1-ft
You can now choose your channel’s handle.​
B7DCh9hBAtRu5QC_KCAKZem3iTBwNo1hkZx49PQW0EIoIBRUzrvQDoynLuHCMAFQr2AWHY0ERMn_RW9ttsfB5pX6yKaK_Q962guaZj-a8wd5EXPduSO9L5d_Tt9IxCoKcuUoUCPsimjaug=s0-d-e1-ft
As a reminder, in most cases, if you already have a personalized URL for your channel, we’ve reserved this for you as your handle. If you’re happy with that handle then you’re all set. If you want a different handle from the one we reserved, you can change it. If you don’t already have a personalized URL today, you’ll also be able to choose a handle. Keep in mind that handles are unique to each channel, so once a handle has been chosen, it can’t be selected by anyone else.​
I really wish urban had a shudder emoji

I don't even understand that.
I'm liable to be producing proper content in future, so I will wait till I do understand...

I never see ads on YouTube because I use AdBlockPlus
but have just had an email from them asking me to choose a handle.

I really wish urban had a shudder emoji
I don't see the issue. Presumably you've got a YouTube/Google account if you're getting that email?

It's just letting you know you can choose a handle/URL for the account, should you ever upload videos to it. E.g. YouTube.com/bluescreen

You don't have to use it, but as a creator or commenter, it allows you to be found via URL or tagged easily by using the @ symbol on the platform, just like this one bluescreen

I don't see the issue. Presumably you've got a YouTube/Google account if you're getting that email?

It's just letting you know you can choose a handle/URL for the account, should you ever upload videos to it. E.g. YouTube.com/bluescreen

You don't have to use it, but as a creator or commenter, it allows you to be found via URL or tagged easily by using the @ symbol on the platform, just like this one bluescreen
You're right of course. The shudder is for the ubiquity of alphabet dot com

Short ads before a clip don’t bother me too much and I can understand folk want to claw back some of their costs if not profit from their content. I agree randomly placed mid clip ads are annoying though.

Short ads before a clip don’t bother me too much and I can understand folk want to claw back some of their costs if not profit from their content. I agree randomly placed mid clip ads are annoying though.

But they annoying AF when you want to quickly show someone something and you have to sit through some totally irrelevant and unskippable advert for 20 seconds. Honestly I would never go back to regular youtube now.

ALERT- if you get free vpn Urban vpn, set it to Ukraine, then you can sign up to youtube premium for £2 a month
You need to set up a new google account though , then set the VPN , then sign up to Youtube. Otherwise, it defaults to your original Youtube/google account location.

But they annoying AF when you want to quickly show someone something and you have to sit through some totally irrelevant and unskippable advert for 20 seconds. Honestly I would never go back to regular youtube now.
Equally annoying is forking out a wad on software and hardware to make content and then putting the effort in only for your audience to be impatient in showing it to a mate.

I'm only too happy to look the the way when some advert come on because I want to support the content creators but some really take the fucking piss with 20 second adverts before a 2 minute clip, or having a shit ton of adverts plus a hefty sponsor message half way through.

If a YouTube subscription was like £5 a month I'd consider it but I can't be arsed faffing about with VPNs.

Top tip: if a clip you want to see says it has two 15 second adverts coming up, going back and clicking on the clip can sometimes reward you with much shorter adverts!

Equally annoying is forking out a wad on software and hardware to make content and then putting the effort in only for your audience to be impatient in showing it to a mate.
A lot of the stuff on YouTube is people lifting other people's content (like classic films, comedies etc) and monetising it for themselves.

A lot of the stuff on YouTube is people lifting other people's content (like classic films, comedies etc) and monetising it for themselves.
I’m kind of agnostic on that. YouTube looks out for stuff lifted but I guess the copyright owner has to instigate any removal.

I’m kind of agnostic on that. YouTube looks out for stuff lifted but I guess the copyright owner has to instigate any removal.
I've had to do it a couple of times and it was a right pain in the arse. . . . it's actually possible (quite easy if not owned by a huge corporation) to register someone else's work as your own, which makes it quite difficult to claw it back even if you have all the documentation, as there are various companies involved (not you tube) and it's not really within their interests to give a shit.

I've been creating content for years and have had shitloads stolen - and it can be an almighty effort trying to get it taken down. I've often just given up unless they've monetised the fuck out of it.

I've been creating content for years and have had shitloads stolen - and it can be an almighty effort trying to get it taken down. I've often just given up unless they've monetised the fuck out of it.
Oh I’m definitely against people ripping off content creators. I was more shrugging at it happening to the big picture houses etc

Creators get far more cash if you sign up to YouTube Premium compared to you watching ads. Although that might not be quite so true if you've got a super-cheap foreign rate.

I'd sign up for it, but the price is a bit excessive. I think it's based on the assumption you will use it to stream loads of music, which I wouldn't want to do, and the background play and watch offline features aren't useful for me either.

We ended up with YT Premium after trying it free for 3 months during lockdown. I watch it everyday, mainly for workouts (SO MANY!), gd watches YT Kids, we all use for music (it has more music than Spotify)... My son + a friend of the family also use it. Up to 5 ppl can share the subscription iirc.

A cheap way of doing it is find a group of 5 people who want to share the subscription price ;). Around £3.40 a month

You need to set up a new google account though , then set the VPN , then sign up to Youtube. Otherwise, it defaults to your original Youtube/google account location.
Worked fine for me in my old account. I just opened youtube again in new browser rather than the app

I've graciously been allowed to upload a video of the crowd singing at a recent DJ show but only after being given this reminder. And just look how many companies have got their fingers in this song's pie.

FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK
Updated 21 December 2023​
Content owners: ECAD_CS, LatinAutor - SonyATV, AA-PAL, Sony Music Publishing, JASRAC, UMPI, SOLAR Music Rights Management, CMRRA, LatinAutor - UMPG, MUST_CS, LatinAutorPerf, UMPG Publishing, APRA_CS, ASCAP, IRICOM, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, FILSCAP
Content type: Melody or lyrics
Impact on video: No impact until you become a monetising creator​

I pay for youtube because I watch quite a lot of stuff on it and much of the content I think is way higher quality than anything on "TV". I'm happy to pay to get rid of the adverts and happy for the creators to get some cash.

However ... I'm now getting quite fed up with the lengthy sponsor segments that appear in many videos. I've paid to not waste my time watching adverts; now they are being added in on the sly. That's not what the deal was.

I pay for youtube because I watch quite a lot of stuff on it and much of the content I think is way higher quality than anything on "TV". I'm happy to pay to get rid of the adverts and happy for the creators to get some cash.

However ... I'm now getting quite fed up with the lengthy sponsor segments that appear in many videos. I've paid to not waste my time watching adverts; now they are being added in on the sly. That's not what the deal was.
Sorry that's me and the other adblock users fault

I've graciously been allowed to upload a video of the crowd singing at a recent DJ show but only after being given this reminder. And just look how many companies have got their fingers in this song's pie.
The selling of the rights of pop music has been a hedge/investor fund bonanza last couple of years. I read it's calming down now but still wild west stuff

Back
Top Bottom