Your local train station

Wish it was brighter, or changed to look like Rotherhithe station

Attachments

• Streatham_station_building.JPG
    Streatham_station_building.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 10
Apparently this is the nearest station to me, I had no idea it even existed. :D

small_heath_entrance_building_on_golden__hillock_rd.jpg

Rather like my parents local Railway Station Stoke-On-Trent withn its overall roof that covers about 3/4's of the platforms I on the other hand only have Willesden Junction on Bakerloo/London Overground

Just behind those trees init!

Also there's a landfill site up the road so it often stinks too.

There's a municipal waste depot in between Manchester and Oldham, and in summer it absolutely stinks like a thousand manky bins wafting across the area. I used to hate passing it on my bike, and the train goes right past the place. God knows how people cope with it who live near it. Urgh. :(

1124350_f0fa625c.jpg
My old local station which has also been my family home for the past 30 years.. was great rolling out of bed virtually onto the platform for the train to school :D My parents still live there and still if i take people there for the first time they refuse to believe there is a house in there, The rest of the station is used as storage for a theatre company. The station is still in full use with 2 trains an hour into london

Last edited:
Had 3 stations a bus ride away when I was growing up, but a short walk from my both my nans'

upload_2014-4-27_19-27-11.jpeg upload_2014-4-27_19-27-59.jpeg upload_2014-4-27_19-28-34.jpeg

another a short walk from my maternal nan

upload_2014-4-27_19-29-59.jpeg
images

The closest station to my place which I don't need to use often. :)

wmgok2.jpg

ad1n8.jpg

2ntecye.jpg

Notice how they only kept on tiny piece of the station building facade after the rest was destroyed by fire? :confused:

History

The station was opened on 1 June 1873 by the South Eastern Railway.[2] In 1923 it was taken over by the Southern Railway.

The line was electrified in February 1926.

In 1948 the station passed to British Railways.

In the mid 1970s the station was re-modelled when the fast line island platform was closed and demolished. This provided space to build a flydown from the Lewisham-Nunhead line to the up fast line.

The booking office at street level was destroyed by fire in the late 1970s.

Accidents

Damaged brake van and rear carriage in sidings at St Johns after the accident in 1898.
On 21 March 1898, two trains collided in thick fog, killing three people, when a signaller allowed a train to enter the station while another train was at the platform.[3][4]

On 4 December 1957, two trains collided just south-east of the station on the main line bypassing Lewisham, bringing down the Lewisham-Nunhead railway bridge and killing 90 people. Further disaster was averted as a train about to cross the bridge was halted by its driver.

Back
Top Bottom