Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your local train station

Tulse Hill station is not particularly photogenic, but I've always thought the mouth of Knight's Hill Tunnel, just outside the station, is very pleasing to the eye

gb_knightshilltun-1.jpg

You do have a song about Tulse Hill though :cool: :D

Brilliant :D. Why on earth did they name their trains after the elephant? Not exactly the swiftest way to get about I'd have thought?
To be honest with the Czech obsession with Moles, goats and bears it would have been less surprising, but naming it small goat could have been really funny as the Czech term Kozički (small goats) is a slang term for breasts

There used to be a rather nice station building:
265px-Pembroke_Railway_Station.jpg

but they knocked it down in favour of this rusting bus shelter (seen here with a typical Pembroke train):
img_0013.jpg

Occasionally, we have an incongruous train come through (I couldn't find a photo of an incongruous train at Pembroke, so here's one at the terminus, Pembroke Dock. The strange thing to the left of the train is a ramp they use for loading tanks from the nearby Army range at Castlemartin onto flat wagons):
TC+43023+43142+Pembroke+Dock+25082012+2rs.jpg

Here is our main station.

201103289773876.jpg

We have a light rail station about ten minutes away too but no photos on Google.

I've been there. Nice town. I got a train from there to Beijing once after having been promised a plane. About 18 hours as I remember but wasn't so bad after I discovered the train toilet was so stinky I could get away with smoking spliffs in there and throwing the dog ends straight on the track. Had been wondering where in China you were for a while.

This is the actual closest (about 8 minutes' walk from my house):

Kemsley_2007.JPG

But this is the local mainline station (20 minute walk, or a 10 minute bus journey, or a 5 minute train journey):

10611481.jpg

Sittingbourne%20003.jpg

The second picture is quiet old now as that class of rolling stock isn't used on the Sheerness branch anymore, and a few years ago they built a brand new footbridge, with lifts, so now we have two:

2878901_4c928a9b.jpg

the one near my mothers is just two concrete platforms with no shelter. You just walk across the tracks to cross over. Its in a field.
There is a direct phone to the signal box to find out when the trains are.

I've been there. Nice town. I got a train from there to Beijing once after having been promised a plane. About 18 hours as I remember but wasn't so bad after I discovered the train toilet was so stinky I could get away with smoking spliffs in there and throwing the dog ends straight on the track. Had been wondering where in China you were for a while.

Did you come here for a reason? :hmm: I'm very fond of this city but I wouldn't visit it in the way one might do with Suzhou or Xian iyswim. :oops:

Wan Chai MTR (tube station)
View attachment 52118
All the MTR stations have those three steps up before you go back down again. I presume it's flood protection.

My closest is Tulse Hill, or Streatham Hill. Or maybe Herne Hill if you walk through the park. Herne has the nicest station building, Streatham the worst. Tulse has the nicest platform view, Streatham the worst. Tulse also has a wider choice of destinations. Tulse Hill wins.

1000536.jpg
I used to go to this one fairly regularly when we went to visit my father-in-law in Lincolnshire, this is Ruskington Station - a little walkway across the tracks to get the train to Peterborough.

Did you come here for a reason? :hmm: I'm very fond of this city but I wouldn't visit it in the way one might do with Suzhou or Xian iyswim. :oops:
I was recruiting for a British university though not directly employed by them. This is my most used train station in China these days. Lots of tearful goodbyes at the door to this place.

Tianjin_Station_03.jpg

There used to be a rather nice station building:
265px-Pembroke_Railway_Station.jpg

but they knocked it down in favour of this rusting bus shelter (seen here with a typical Pembroke train):
img_0013.jpg

Occasionally, we have an incongruous train come through (I couldn't find a photo of an incongruous train at Pembroke, so here's one at the terminus, Pembroke Dock. The strange thing to the left of the train is a ramp they use for loading tanks from the nearby Army range at Castlemartin onto flat wagons):
TC+43023+43142+Pembroke+Dock+25082012+2rs.jpg

The contraption alongside is the ramp (owned by the MOD) for loading and unloading the odd military vehicle trains for training at Castlemartin. (useless info I know) !

The nearest to me is this one...

2578858_c24a5211.jpg

Some Urbanites will have passed through here on their way to the Midland Hotel for tea and cakes if they changed train at Lancaster and got off at Morecambe. Sadly the signal box has been modernised and is no longer there :( Small (and crap) article about it in local rag.

I prefer to use Lancaster as I have to change at there anyway, so I may as well go there first.

It was here once, really should be again. If only we had a local authority with even a smidgen of ambition and planners that did anything other than roll over for developers of shopping centres and crap flats.

Site_of_Armley_Moor_railway_station.jpg

Instead I have to trundle through this site, a mere five minutes walk from home, and alight at this desolate place two miles up the line:

640px-Bramley_station.jpg

Back
Top Bottom