Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your local train station

The contraption alongside is the ramp (owned by the MOD) for loading and unloading the odd military vehicle trains for training at Castlemartin. (useless info I know) !
I'm not sure they use it any more, but that's not a surprise, given that getting vehicles large enough to warrant transporting by train would involve navigating them through both Pembroke (some tight turns and steep hills), and Pembroke Dock (very parked-up roads, and more tight turns) to get them to the station, with a final tight turn to get up an alley in order to reach the railhead. I've occasionally seen some light armoured stuff on flat wagons in Haverfordwest, but I am not sure what they do from there - I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be OK to drive from there to Castlemartin, and they'd have to cross the Cleddau Bridge (and squeeze through the toll booths, and negotiate Pembroke...

conisbrough-train-station.jpg The station in the village where I grew up. Donald Pleasance the actor lived here in the 1920s, his father was the station master.Eight miles south west of Doncaster.
kirk sandall.jpg Our nearest one now, eight miles northeast of Doncaster, our next nearest and mainline station.

Really ugly sucker, unfortunately.
Itmqkik.jpg

When I grew up, this was my local station:
800px-Tolworth_station_building.JPG

While I suppose there was some architectural merit to it, I have never really been able to see 1930s cast concrete architecture as anything other than fugly.

Although where I used to commute to London from...

Surbiton_Railway_Station.jpg

...which is of a similar vintage, manages not to look quite so bloody awful, especially once they decided to tidy it up a bit.

This was the station where I grew-up. I can just remember it with tracks and the occasional train, although it was already in the run-down prior to the tracks being lifted:

20027.jpg

This is the current main station, swallowed by a shopping centre on the site of the old freight sheds:

Aberdeen_station,_inside_Union_Square_shopping_centre,_August_2013.JPG

But the station hall itself is still in good nick:

Interior2-xl.jpg

:)

This was the station where I grew-up. I can just remember it with tracks and the occasional train, although it was already in the run-down prior to the tracks being lifted:

20027.jpg

This is the current main station, swallowed by a shopping centre on the site of the old freight sheds:

Aberdeen_station,_inside_Union_Square_shopping_centre,_August_2013.JPG

But the station hall itself is still in good nick:

Interior2-xl.jpg

:)

Moston_railway_station,_looking_north_in_2008.jpg This is Moston station, which is the nearest one to me(looking north)

Moston_Station_Peter-Whatley.jpg Here it is in 89 looking south- All the buildings have gone now.

P1050910.JPG But there is this mural.

Since we're going down that road, here's the one local to me where I grew up:

1977257_21188b11.jpg

There used to be a small building at street level about here, that was the ticket office. It closed years ago (even though you still passed through it), and the ticket office moved to the platform. The building was demolished some time after I moved away:

Nunhead+Station3.jpg

Actually I had several nearby. This one:

crofton-park-.jpg

Crofton%20Park%20003.jpg

This one (my brother used to go to work from here):

Honor_Oak_Park_railway_station_in_2008.jpg

Honor_Oak_Park_stn_building.JPG

And this one,, which was a short bus ride away:

350px-Peckham_Rye_station,_Grade_2_listed,_in_Rye_Lane_central.jpg

That's reasonably local to my mum and dad's caravan. The Swanage Railway has come on great since I used to go on holiday there in the late 70s, shame about the supermarket in the carpark of their main station!

I'm not sure they use it any more, but that's not a surprise, given that getting vehicles large enough to warrant transporting by train would involve navigating them through both Pembroke (some tight turns and steep hills), and Pembroke Dock (very parked-up roads, and more tight turns) to get them to the station, with a final tight turn to get up an alley in order to reach the railhead. I've occasionally seen some light armoured stuff on flat wagons in Haverfordwest, but I am not sure what they do from there - I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be OK to drive from there to Castlemartin, and they'd have to cross the Cleddau Bridge (and squeeze through the toll booths, and negotiate Pembroke...

I can assure you it was used when I ran a bit of Railfreight - the most interesting "special" we did was a Ramsgate - Pembroke Dock formed of 2x33 , 3 passenger coaches , a couple of air braked vans for baggage and about 20 flat cars with German light tanks etc /.......this running through Clapham Junction towards Reading via Staines must have looked like a 1940 Invasion special......!!!

I can assure you it was used when I ran a bit of Railfreight - the most interesting "special" we did was a Ramsgate - Pembroke Dock formed of 2x33 , 3 passenger coaches , a couple of air braked vans for baggage and about 20 flat cars with German light tanks etc /.......this running through Clapham Junction towards Reading via Staines must have looked like a 1940 Invasion special......!!!
Only the Germans would be organised enough to have pre-booked their tickets before invading. Then ensured the train departed on time no doubt...

The slogan was "the wheels must roll for Victory" - used to be daubed on the DR stuff (rolling stock etc.) in the 1939-45 era. We did have a good laugh about it at the time with the usual clichés - the staff at Pembroke related they were excellent and left some good German beer as an appreciation. The Italians for the same excercise just complained .........

It would have looked even more like that if they'd stuck a couple of Warships on the front :)

Mine - this is before they reinstated the passing loop and rebuilt the platform to the left (although most of that would be behind the shot). I must get down there and get some pictures of it now.

5760902793_15c2fd0dcb_b.jpg

My local

upload_2014-4-18_15-10-15.jpeg upload_2014-4-18_15-11-47.jpeg upload_2014-4-18_15-12-59.jpeg
Though when I first moved out here trains used to run to Croxley Green & Broad Street in the rush hour; now It's only Euston, there was never any chance of Croxley Green being opened again once they cut the line with a road. Once the Croxley Rail Link is up & running we'll get more trains & another route into London.

Back
Top Bottom