Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your local train station

machine cat

nod from the big man as kosher
Banned
We've got this beauty:

Huddersfield_Railway_Station_(RLH).jpg

There isn't one here. It would be great if there was, it would make it possible for Mrs D to come to see me. As it is she would have to spend about an hour on the bus to get to the nearest.

Huddersfield is a lovely station. Mine is Manchester Piccadilly - not very attractive from the outside:

2459-0000008.jpg

But it has the original lovely train shed behind the new front bit:

Manchester_Piccadilly_platforms_1_to_3_shed.jpg

The whole train shed is on stilts, with a very large undercroft below:

Manchester_Piccadilly_station.jpg

And from the air it is a hefty station:

760_wm.php

And if they ever build HS2 up here it will look like this:

high-speed-2-manchester-piccadilly.jpg

Huddersfield is a lovely station. Mine is Manchester Piccadilly - not very attractive from the outside...

I like Picadilly.Yes, I agree it's not very attractive, but it has the added advantage of that back route up the stairs in the platform 13/14 area if you don't have a ticket. :D

I like Picadilly.Yes, I agree it's not very attractive, but it has the added advantage of that back route up the stairs in the platform 13/14 area if you don't have a ticket. :D

They're really quite full on these days on platform 13/14, with ticket staff lurking at every access point, including on the footbridge from other platforms. I don't think there is a way onto the platforms without encountering these. They quite often man every door from the concourse too - usually just Northern Rail staff - and as I don't use their trains I just point to a Cross Country or Virgin train on the platform and walk straight past them.

I guess fare evasion is a serious problem in Manchester...

Last edited:
:cool:

How many platforms?

Huddersfield has 8 but 3 and 7 have gone missing.
Five altogether but only platforms 3 (heading to Reading) 4 (heading to Paddington) and 5 (the Marlow Donkey line, which is basically a tiny branch line going to Bourne End and Marlow) are used regular.

1 and 2 sometimes but that may change when crossrail starts

They're really quite full on these days on platform 13/14, with ticket staff lurking at every access point, including on the footbridge from other platforms. I don't think there is a way onto the platforms without encountering these. They quite often man every door from the concourse too - usually just Northern Rail staff - and as I don't use their trains I just point to a Cross Country or Virgin train on the platform and walk straight past them.

I guess fare evasion is a serious problem in Manchester...

I think it depends on day and time. Weekday rush hour and you have to have a ticket. Weekends, especially if there's football on then they don't bother.

Free WiFi? :cool:

There's free WiFi in the city centre here - time-limited access, granted. I think it's been rolled out to the transport hubs now. As I live in the centre I'll see if I can pick up the signal...

ETA - can't see the free WiFi. Must be in a shadow here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom