Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*Your favourite record and what it means to you!

fave record

It's too difficult to choose only one fave. Could write about at least 5 that mean a lot to me tho'!
Agree with the choices for The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Jeff Buckley, The Beatles.
Need bit more time. Might go for Electric Ladyland or Led Zep first album...

fave album

IHB said:
Impossible because of constantly changing moods etc....

The one that I will put forward is:

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

:cool:

I agree, moods count for a lot!
Dark Side Of The Moon is a damn fine album too.

I reckon I'd have to go for the imposibly pretentious Godspeed you black emperor!'s FhashAhashinfinity (can't find the right keys!!!)

It marked a wierd time for me, I'd gone through a tremendous long term depression - I'd left home for the first time and I was taking far to many drugs. I spent far too much time sitting thinking, and getting really very scared. I heard GYBE on radio three, I bought the album from ALANS in Wigan (the best record shop ever - anyone ever been? It's a skate shop now sadly)
All I can say is I became obsessed with that record, listening to it over and over again, lying on the floor, riding the ebb and flow of the textures, surfing along passages of music, driven by the incredible intensity of the climaxes. It was honest music, incredible, strange and beautiful. I joined a discussion group on GYBE, and though it seems sad, I found somewhere to speak of the unbearable isolation I felt.
The dark music seemed to mirror my life, yet had hope, no matter how bad I felt, there would be moments of equal happiness, for every dirge, every off key drone, there would be climax, a chresendo. I read what qoutes I could find by the band, "This is not music for people who take drugs" "This is not music for lying and crying"- God that helped me. I don't hate drugs - I just can't cope with them. I didn't need to lie down or cry, I needed to live!
I listened to it over and over again, I wrote long sprawling stories about nothing, I found a space in that record, A place I could go that was safe, a place where I could always rely on being there. I found a world of music, incredible, impasioned music by artists who never chased success, artists whose music I trust, I love, - At the beginning of this was GYBE! and for that I will alway love them - Today, no matter how bad I feel if I go and lie down in the dark and play Moya I always feel better.
I can't put into words what this record means to me and I think that is the greatest thing about it. It somehow comunicates something about thinking differently or not believing in the world, without leaving you feeling hopeless or alone. - It always makes me feel somehow less alone.
Though I could choose many other records to eulogise, I think if I had to save one, it would be this one.

Rozi said:
Portishead-Dummy

Every so often you hear a song, an album, a chorus that changes your musical direction and even the way you look at the world. My musical epiphany occurred ten years ago, when I first heard the magnificent "Glory Box" on Now Something or Other in 1994. In 1994 I was 11 and going through could be classed as a difficult period. I'd recently testified in court, my friends had alienated me for being too wrapped up in the above and I genuinely felt that nobody in the world felt like I did. I was in my room, listening to this crappy compilation tape when, as if from nowhere, a load of weird samples and that voice came out the speakers. The lyrics, the sadness, it all fit perfectly. I listened to it again and again and again, wallowing in it, feeling for the first time that there were others who felt as sad as me. The next day I found the album in my local library and listened to it constantly, usually using it as a soundtrack to writing in my journal, crying or simply staring at the ceiling trying to make sense of my life. My mother described it as "music to slit your wrists to", but I loved it for precisely that reason. Beth Gibbons voice spoke of pain, isolation and loneliness, something I needed to hear to know that I was not alone, that others out there were hurt, melancholic and confused. I needed that wake-up call, and have used the album ever since to remind myself that things aren't so bad and even if they are, they can produce real beauty.

I got that record the other day and wandering star has blown my mind - I found my old Tricky records and was amazed how good they were, I never really gave Portishead a chance at the time and I really wish I had done. She sounds so fragile, yet so strong and like I say, wandering star is unreal!!

David Bowie - "Heroes" is my favourite tune of all time.

It's got amazing, unplifting lyrics, but in a very english way, in a "Hey, we could do this, but lets not push ourselves, Hero for a day? That'll do"

"Though nothing
Will keep us together
We could steal time
Just for one day
We can be Heroes
For ever and ever
What d'you say"

How could you turn down an offer like that?

'Hydra' by Crossfire- on the Spy Technologies album on DSC14.

(Note that I'm taking 'record' in its literal context here, i.e. a piece of vinyl, not necessarily my favourite ever tune- although this'd certainly rank high on that list too).

Stripped-down, minimal, relentless techno-influenced drum'n'bass. There seems to be a strange subsection of people who gain real happiness from hard, dark, fast music- although I love all forms of music to some extent it's this kind of filth that I find really hits a chord with me.

'Hydra' is just epic- no huge epic breakdowns or heartfelt vocals, in fact I think the reason I love it so much is because it manages to affect me so much without relying on such crutches. Every time I listen to it I get really excited by it, its very simplicity I find life-affirming. Many favourite records conjure up a particular emotion- be it love, sadness, etc- however 'Hydra' just makes me feel glad to be alive, despite being one of the most apocalyptic pieces of music I've ever heard.

I'm rambling now... I recently got in touch with Crossfire (www.crossfirerecordings.com) and he's sending me some of his new tunes, can't wait to see what he's come up with... :D

papanoelys said:
the mighty wah, with the song the story of the blues

Here in my pocket I've got the story of the blues,
try to belive me cos' could be front page news, :-/ !
I said I live it like it hasen't happend yet
I can thinking on everyone how I'm the one the one they're trying to get. :-/ !
To tell...
(Story of the Blues)
First they take your pride, :)
then turn it all inside, lol
and then you realise you got nothing left to lose.
So you try to stop,
try to get back up, lordy x
and then you realise you're telling the Story of the Blues.
Felling browbeaten day after day,
I think It's over but I just can't get away.
You said forget it,
well don't go jump to the gun, different gravy x
you're laugthing this time next time you might be the one :-/
To tell...
(the story of the blues)
First they take you're pride,
then turn It all inside,
and then you realise you got nothing left to lose.
So you try to stop,
try to get back up
and then you realise you're telling the Story of the Blues.
Repet chourse....
What they say about me when they tell
the Story of the Blues. :oops:

:cool:

BOUNTY KILLER - DEPTH CHARGE

I can remember hearing on the radio donkeys years ago & it took my about 8years to find out who it was & what is was called. I was sat at a mates house and he just starting playing on the decks..........I was sooo excited, I could have soiled myself!!!! :)

editor said:
Here's a chance for you aspiring writers to get your words onto urban75 and be seen by an audience of millions!

The Stone Roses

The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses, because it is the best album in the world ever.

Not a duff note or word on it. Still sounds like the freshest, most perfect piece of music ever (to me). My life would literally be competely different without it.

Last year I realised I had been in love with Ian Brown for over half my life. It made me very happy that I got the chance to tell him so . . . . can't wait for the new track. :)

Outta Here

Outta Here By BDP

wowo what a tune sez it all

the story of hip hop
disses peoples for being materialist and well tells KRS1 ' s life story

banging tune :)

Bob Marley "Exodus" "Rastaman Vibration"
Boz Scaggs "Dig"
Joe Sample "Carmel"
EVERYTHING by Larry Carlton
Led Zepplin "II" "Houses of the Holy"
Al Green "Still in Love with You"
Arethan Franklin "Lady Soul"
Joe Jackson "Night and Day" "Look Sharp"
Herbie Hancock "HEad Hunters"
EVERYTHING by Grover Washington Jr
Marvin Gaye

A Storm in Heaven- The Verve

Although of course they were called 'Verve' at the time, this album is completely trascendental and a world away from their latter anthemic style that emerged through 'A Northern Soul' and was emphatically confirmed on 'Urban Hymns'.
It means so much for me because of memories- when i heard it for the first time it sounded like nothing before- almost like a dreamworld. What i appreciate most is the way the band manage to unfold a definitive and unique aesthetic- a piece of music that rolls through a different time-space axis, a shimmering and alternatively bright and dark sphere of distorting guitars, faded voices and heartfelt confusion (on the part of Ashcroft at least). The musicanship is excellent- Ashcroft's latter day whine is more contained and gentler, while Nick McCabe on guitar is clearly feeling the effects of all those E's and Acid the band were getting through in the early 1990s. Traditional song structure is done away with to explore the complexities of instrumental interaction and although a little self-indulgent at times, retains the balance required to produce identifiable patterns, noticeably on 'See you in the next one' and 'Slide Away'. John Leckie's production also deserves a special mention for forging the band's raw qualities into the mystical and ethereal vision that they held out for.
I have no idea of what the album is about. I listened to it regularly during long and sometimes traumatic smoking sessions, and got the feeling that it may have been about a severe mental breakdown or psychological experience that forced a detachment from the 'real world'- it certainly has a distant quality about it, and on 'The Sun, The Sea' and 'Blue' there is a very prescient schizophrenic atmoshpere. Lyrics such as 'Concealed in a chrome dream/ I was a crease in the shirt that this world wears' seem to me indicative of a malign influence.
All in all a thoroughly rewarding experience- while exploring darkness, there is a real beauty in the album and is a triumph of effort in creative imagination and musicianship.

Other Albums up there:

'Loveless'- My Bloody Valentine
'Unknown Pleasures'- Joy Division
'Nowhere'- Ride
'Technique'- New Order
'Screamadelica'- Primal Scream
'The Bends'- Radiohead
'The Notorious Byrd Brothers'- The Byrds

STFC Loyal said:
by The Stone Roses

I got into the Roses late, around the time of One Love. When I bought the album and listened to it for the first time, I was filled with regret - why hadn't I been into them from the start, why hadn't I bought everything they had ever done, why hadn't I been to see them live?

Never before had I listened to an album which was virtually perfect - most have 3 or 4 good tracks and that's it - and without the backwards version of Waterfall (a brave move but doesn't do it for me) and Elizabeth, My Dear (not my cup of tea politically) the word "virtually" would have been surplus to requirements.

From Mani's plodding bass on the intro to I Wanna Be Adored to the last bars of I Am The Resurrection, The Stone Roses give you everything anyone could ever want from an album. Love, hate, joy, sadness, introspection, arrogance...you name it, it's all in there somewhere, all held together by some of the best bass playing, drumming, guitar work, lyrics and vocals (Ian Brown could never be described as the greatest singer of all time, but who else could possibly have sung these songs?) ever recorded.

This is without a doubt my favourite record, and one which I never tire of hearing. It still sounds as good now as it did the first time I heard it, but even now, I am still left with those same feelings of regret.

an inspired choice..bravo :D

Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks

It has to be this album for me , which originally saw the light of day in 1967 , and was promptly ignored by the vast majority of the record buying public .Each tune tells its own little narative ...Ray Davies' wit and playfulness has never been more present than on this album . I love the bands musicianship on tunes like "Wicked Annabella " and the like ...As with a lot of Davies' writing , he is trying to hark back to the archaic in his writing , to a time which may have existed , but more likely than not didn't ,much rather he is harking back to a state of mind rather than a specific place ...He used to write about his family and also the things that he observed going on around him ...not many songwriters were doing this at the time ... a great album

here are some more

beach boys - pet sounds

beatles - revolver

underworld - beaucoup fish

paul mccartney - ram

mark hollis - mark hollis

talk talk - laughing stock

television - marquee moon

fairport convention - unhalfbricking

pentangle - cruel sister

incredible string band - the hangmans' beautiful daughter

nick drake - pink moon

peter gabriel - up

polyphonic spree - the beginning stages of the polyphonic spree

robert wyatt - rock bottom

their we go ....... muso episode over .

I dont have one favourite, but the five that came to my head first..

Neil Young - After the goldrush
The Verve - Urban Hymns
New Order - Substance
Bob Dylan - Before the flood
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

editor said:
List one album that you couldn't live without and then write a short piece (around 500 words) to tell the world what it means to you and why it's so precious.

!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i think people are losing the point of this thread

liberty said:
Superstylin makes me happy :)
please don't tell me you were listening to it today?
i listened to it very loudly on my mp3 player this afternoon, to stop thoughts about the job i applied for.
it cheered me up, and stopped the thoughts for about 2 minutes.
:)

Quite simply;

The Man Don't Give a Fuck by the Super Furry Animals.

Not only is it a truly great tune but it also reminds me that all governments are liars and murderers.

trevbus said:
Quite simply;

The Man Don't Give a Fuck by the Super Furry Animals.

That's a fuckin' ace tune. The 22-minute live version from last year was no bad thing either. :D :cool:

trevbus said:
Not only is it a truly great tune but it also reminds me that all governments are liars and murderers.
Yes. :mad:

:) Van Morrison - Sweet Thing
its my fav at the moment,,but i change my mind all the time,,depends how I'm feeling at the time :)

shot by both sides

the best record ever made should be REAL LIFE by MAGAZINE, 1979. I can't face the prospect of writng anything about it so can only suggest you go out and buy it.

Back
Top Bottom