Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*Your favourite record and what it means to you!

ebird said:
David Bowie - "Heroes" is my favourite tune of all time.

It's got amazing, unplifting lyrics, but in a very english way, in a "Hey, we could do this, but lets not push ourselves, Hero for a day? That'll do"

"Though nothing
Will keep us together
We could steal time
Just for one day
We can be Heroes
For ever and ever
What d'you say"

How could you turn down an offer like that?

magical post, had never thought of it in that way.

angel77 said:
The first suede album, because it was the first album that said something to me about my life. I was 16 or so and living in Downham, and here was was a record talking about escaping the shitty grey satalite towns, to off towards the bright lights in search of (sleazy)sex, drugs and rock n roll? For everyone who felt different growing up in a boring place, surrounded by boring people going about their boring lives, they were our band.

spot on

1979 by the smashing pumpkins. firstly because its an absolute masterslass in arranging a rock song; it fades in from nowhere before exploding into a perfect, driving riff which gets even more intense at just the right point and trickles away to nothing at the end. Secondly because its about what it feels like to be young but to know that what you feel can't last- it would be a bittersweet song were it not for Billy's howling refrain: but we don't even care...

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

I know it will always appear on someone's top ten, but if I had to pick one, I would go with this one. It embodies all I love about music now and back then. It represented a change in Van's musical creativity, embracing jazz, blues, folk and classical works and was a real poetical yet personal representation of his growing up in Ireland. I love The Way Young Lovers Do - it expresses all that's wonderful about falliing in love - all the unknown and heartfelt desires 'if I ventured in the slipstream, between the viaducts of your dreams, where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop, could you find me? Would you kiss a my eyes? To lay me down, in silence easy, to be born again.'

I mean, what words. If I could be there now, doing that, falling in love like that...

and Sweet Thing - ' 'Hey, it's me, I'm dynamite
And I don't know why
And you shall take me strongly
In your arms again
And I will not remember
That I even felt the pain'.

This for me expresses the utopia that you feel when falling in love, feeling like you're on top of the world and nothing can deflate you.

It also reminds me of a period in my life when I went out with a poet and we had a little stall in Belsize Park selling old bits of furniture and jewelry and we would return home, having sold nothing and get drunk listening to Van the Man and looking out the window at the leaves.

Call me romantic, but I'd swap that any day.

If ever anyone plays this record, it goes straight to the heart felt wonderful memories of my past. Painful, yet personal and precious.

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Admitedly, I only started listening to the Eels because I fancied a girl who like them. The girl I never got, but the band I did and feel instantly in love with Mr.E's beautiful music.

Electro-Shock Blues was the Eels 4th album, released in 1998 and following on from their mainstream breakthrough Beautiful Freak. As a 16 year old with no money, I craved to have the album, but was far too scared to light finger it from my local HMV.

When Christmas came though, imagine my adolescent shock when I opened up my CD case shaped present from my parents to discover that they'd brought it for me.

I'd never asked for it.
I'd never mentioned to them I liked the Eels.
I couldn't even believe they knew who they were.
Yet they still knew.

It was a Christams gift I never forgot and easily the best of my young years (sorry Optimus). I listened to the whole album that day and it was a gut-wrenching classic. Through a world of depression, suicide and tragedy there is an incredible expression of beauty and love of life.

Amazing album and a wonderful reminder of my childhood.

P.S. It still rocks my world.

Japan - Adolescent Sex 1978
756659.jpg

Too young to get this when it was released, a mate passed this treasure to me when I was 13. Just the right age to create an alternative music listener I believe.

She was two years older than me and was, to quote Jarv 'allowed boys in her room'. She was cocky and brash and apparently I was her first girli crush, which I didnt learn about until many years later when she introduced me to her girlfriend. She smoked at home and played this album constantly, mostly because it had rude lyrics and therefore pissed her parents off.

My parents were also equally horrified at the 'get it up, get it up, get it up take it much higher' lyrical content, but it was in the age of 'Frankies - Relax' so they accepted my changing music taste.

Dave Sylvian doesnt like this album apparently. That makes me feel sad that I like it so much. It was the first Japan album I bought and it turned me onto his voice big style. It also turned me onto punky/gothy music and image. I had discovered there was a world of non chart music out there and having no elder brother to teach me about Peel Sessions, I had to rummage around gleaning bits of information from the elder kids at the park about music that wasnt being played on Radio One at lunchtime.

The album has lots of groovy harshness to it. I cant find another way to describe it, but am sure google would find plenty of more articulate reviews. Their cover of 'Dont rain on my parade' is gritty and spat out, the music casts up images of standing under a bus shelter in a down pour. I didnt know it was a cover until some time later, exclaiming excitedly that Babs had done a Japan song. I was so pleased for them :rolleyes:

By the time I found them, David was totally gorgeous. Typical image of the era - Nick Rhodes ish, and Japan later had a cracking hit covering 'Second that Emotion'. My favourate track by Japan is Nightporter. This is alot of Japan fans fave too, but a moving, subtle epic of a track none the less.

Not really that good at big writing stuff, trying to get my 13 year olds excitement and feelings on a PC isnt second nature to me. However, I totally recommend a listen, and also their later stuff although its not that similar except for David Sylvians spooky voice.

I have often looked a this thread and thoughtto choose a single favourite is really difficult there are so many! There is one that stands out though, it's a reggae compilation called Staggering Heights by Players and Singers. I have been listening to for almost 20 years now and I never get bored with it. It has deep baselines, querky steel drums - great variety of sounds. It is also reminiscent of a particularly good time in my life.

loud 1 said:
jeff buckley-grace

i stumbled across mr buckley way back in 95,i remember flickin through tv channels and hearing this song (grace),and i was absolutly gob smacked,at the time i was in my first band and trying to find direction,and i think i found it all in that one song!,the way it builds and builds until the end when jeff stays holding one note for what seemed like forever.

funny thing is i didnt at the time know who sang it!,none of my freinds had ever heard the tune or jeff buckley,so after a while it just slipped into the back of my mind.
then a few years ago a female freind played me this album,and up popped that song,the day after i rushed into town and bought the album.....every song blew me away,and not a day goes past that i dont listen to it.

ive spread 'the word' of jeff buckley onto all of my freinds,and it seemed to have exactly the same effect it had on me all them years back.Everyone has at least one song that they can relate too,either happy or sad.

But now he's gone,like so many inspiering artists,jimi hendrix, kurt cobain,rod hull:)D ).

but the memory never goes.

I was only introduced to Jeff Buckley this year but Grace has barely left my CD player since, it truely is a beautiful album and he was so gifted. He would have been 40 this year and it makes you wonder how far he would have gone had he lived.........but most definitely my favourite record. :)

The Drifter - Dennis Walks [Moodisc (JA) / Crab (UK) 1969]
An awesome piece of music, recorded at Studio 1 and produced by Harry Mudie. The driving bass line never fails to grab me, the drumming is solid and energetic, while the soaring militant horn refrain lifts it to a truly triumphant crescendo, giving it top marks in those most crucial elements of Jamaican music. Walks never bettered it in his long career, despite returning to it in the slower roots, early dancehall and fully digital periods, and his voice suits perfectly the slightly sorrowful lament of the regretful prodigal son.
Such has my obsession become for this tune that I started a few years ago to collect every recut of the song and rhythm. I've compiled a discography, numbering over 100 tunes now, from King Tubbys dubs to a Prince Jammy one rhythm LP. So far I've been able to buy about 55 of them on original vinyl, the quest continues.

So I was a scrawny, shy 15 year old kid in a dull town with not that many friends. I'm doing work experience in an estate agents and one day we're driving out to a big house to do a valuation. It's a stupidly hot day as a song comes on the radio. I ask what it is. It's "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths from The Queen Is Dead. The opening riff flows through my body and the melody enraptures me before Stephen Patrick Morrissey's voice quietly intones;

"Take me out tonight,
where there's music and there's people and they're young and alive".

That lunchtime I go into the record shop and find the album and buy it and listen to it three times that evening.

Music changed from being a background noise to fill in for gaps in conversation to something of art and beauty. Other songs I play more, other songs have sent shivers down my spine, other songs I have had to yelp out screams of disbelief because of the way they have melded sounds, but that album, fuck me, it's amazing.

A slightly pretentious second post I know! :p

Dr Gonzo said:
Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Admitedly, I only started listening to the Eels because I fancied a girl who like them. The girl I never got, but the band I did and feel instantly in love with Mr.E's beautiful music.

Electro-Shock Blues was the Eels 4th album, released in 1998 and following on from their mainstream breakthrough Beautiful Freak. As a 16 year old with no money, I craved to have the album, but was far too scared to light finger it from my local HMV.

When Christmas came though, imagine my adolescent shock when I opened up my CD case shaped present from my parents to discover that they'd brought it for me.

I'd never asked for it.
I'd never mentioned to them I liked the Eels.
I couldn't even believe they knew who they were.
Yet they still knew.

It was a Christams gift I never forgot and easily the best of my young years (sorry Optimus). I listened to the whole album that day and it was a gut-wrenching classic. Through a world of depression, suicide and tragedy there is an incredible expression of beauty and love of life.

Amazing album and a wonderful reminder of my childhood.

P.S. It still rocks my world.
This is lovely - I can see your face opening the gift. We all feel the same sometimes.

Just at this moment in time, as my music playing habits are influenced greatly by my emotions. My favorite song of the moment is Alanis Morissette - Bent For You
I chose this song because of it's lyrics, I hold them dear the heart at the moment as with my mentality it feels like I'm trying to pull blood from a stone from my friends, family and even my hon.

"You're unsure and you're not ready so that must mean I want you
You're unavailable and disinterested and to you I look for comfort

A million times in a million ways I will try to change you
A million months and a million days I'll try to somehow convince you

I have waited for you and adjusted for you and I'm done
I have deferred to you and enabled you and I'm done

You're too young or you're too old or you're simply not inclined
You're asleep or you're withholding be that my cue to crave you

Several times in several ways I'll try to squeeze love from you
Several hours and several ways I'll feast on scraps thrown from you

I have bent for you and I've deprived for you and I'm done
I have depressed for you and contorted for you and I'm done
I have stifled for you and I've compromised for you and I'm done
I have silenced for you and sacrificed for you and I'm done

It won't be long before I am reclaimed
It won't take long and I'll be on path again
It won't be easy for us to disengage
I'm at the end of self deprivation stage

Aou're afraid of every woman afraid of your inner workings
You cringe at the thought of living under the same roof as me god' and everything

A million times and a million ways I've tried to alter to match you
Several times every several days I've tried to uncrush on you
"

all eyes on me

my favorite record of all time is all eyes on me by 2pac.
Evry song u hear he raps about reality wat he saw and did he rap about his life

Orbital - Belfast

I know it's a bit cheesy but I remember this song from when I was at uni and I'd just been out doing pills for the first time. It was a brilliant experience and we all piled back my mate's house and he put this on. We were sitting, smoking and discussing our night and I knew from that moment that this was the way forward for me.

I had to walk home up a huge hill on a very frosty winter morning but I felt incredible - tired yet still wired with all these mad thoughts running through my head and I still get a big smile whenever I hear this song and think of that night.

Also Killers - Mr Brightside (Thin White Duke Remix). Reminds me of the night I proposed to my fiancee as it was playing in the background when I asked the question. :D

indielad said:
The Libertines - Up The Bracket

:p I bought the album a copule of months ago after hearing a couple of the songs on the evening session. I had heard that the album was quite good so I went along and bought it. When I got home and banged it on the hi-fi I was amazed the pure confusion and emotion put into every song just blew me away. The album seems to have all the qualities you can dream of while what makes it perfect is its inperfection. I dont think it has been off my cd player for more than a day since I bought it. I cant wait for the next one. :p

I recomend it to anyone into alt music. It is amazing!!!

AGREED!!!!!

Queen - Greatest Hits Vol 1

Everybody has this in their collection. Will always put you in a great mood when played.

If I was stuck on a desert island, the sound of Freddie rocking in my ears would bring utter bliss!:D

oh, 'all lost in the supermarket' by the clash. Ironically, i don't think much of the clash at all and don't really count them in the cannon of decent british punk bands. I don't get the claims to genius people lay at their feet, and find strummer massively frustrating for having amade up voice and a made up background. Their first album is unlistenable.

But 'all lost...' sounds beautiful to me. I love the way it rolls with a danceable tempo throughout and then just trails off. That makes me feel that the guy is lonely and lost, but still going on, not distressed enough that anyone would notice and not narcissistic enough to really notice himself. I can empaphise with the feelings of alienation and the image of a reclusive lover it brings up; the specifics of the lyrics, whcih my be coincidence, also are important to me. It ham-fisted stuff, but its way before wanky people moaned on about consumer culture non stop as opposed to genuine politics - so the idea of being 'lost in the supermarket' and 'unable to shop happily' is quite prescient. I look at it like someone who is trying to do everything that they think they should do to be happy and valued, but it hasn't worked.

the kids in halls and the pipes in the walls/
making noises/
for company.

Long distance callers make long distance calls/
and the silence/
makes me lonely.

the line i've highlighted, i absolutely love. He feels like everyone else is doing something, fitting in or having a role, but he has none.

I also like the fact that this song actually seems to be true to their fucking backgrounds, unlike the other crap where they claim to be 'guttersnipes' or somesuch crass bollocks. It reflects their true backgrounds and it doesn't detract from the anger of the song at all. For me, its the only time i see their anger genuine.

Its a beautiful song, but i wouldn't want it associated with me cos its not how i feel about my childhood and i don't feel lost.

American Life - Madonna
I'm a huge Madge fan anyway...but this album is great, it came out around the time I found out I was pregnant with my son......

madamv said:
Japan - Adolescent Sex 1978
756659.jpg

Cool to see this show up. I like the New Romantic Japan a lot more than trashy Japan, but the title track of this album is just about the best glam-disco thing ever, along with 'same old scene'

A gender crossing knee stap lay while burlesque Filipinos masqueraded and mannerisms were slaughtered. The appearance of nothing broke the deafening silence in the darkest sunshine and tremulous carnivores storked their prey of spore-bearing fruiting bodies of fungi. This could only invoke the cladding of crimson!

The dance broken from the chains of the rhythm smashed the confines of rhyme and reason to engender bliss in motion. The corpulence of the reed like synthesis no longer hearkened back to tango. The flailing sheaths of moribund negros new no greater ecstasy as sensibilities were crashed. And there,,, in the darkest hour,,,,, lay god!

Would fruit no longer be sown? Would dawn ever break on a day of wonder? Would globules a mitigating disaster ever become dextrous or more frightening?

These questions may never be answered, but that they were asked, seems reward enough.

Madness: Welcome to The House of Fun

Greensleeves does it for me tonight, takes me back to pleasant lands/times, puts a smile on my face : )

eek a mouse - ban ban biddy ban bam , fisherman dub, love

Back
Top Bottom