Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*Your favourite record and what it means to you!

The Times They Are A'changing by Bob Dylan.

Hard to explain the affect this had on me. It seemed to convey some of my most deeply held views in an other-worldly, earth-shattering poetic way. It was the first time I realised what the artist as a genuis is truly capable of. It didn't really conform to anything, genre wise, other than his own pure feeling, thought, and personal history. I was into Oasis and other indy bands at the time, and it just made them seem so lightweight. The album is now being studied by English literature proffesors in unis across the world. Will still be in a 1000 years time, if you ask me.

And it isn't even the BEST Dylan album.

Cheers,

Greenfish.

can i have two?

ok, since no-one answered i'll assume i can.

the future sound of london - papua new guinea : epitomises all that's amazing about amazing electronic music.

rozzer's dog - the pusher, the pimp and the panther : the pinnacle of acid techno, with or without drugs.

Dark Side Of The Moon.

When it was released we used to play it endlessly during art classes at school. Even now when I hear it I think back to those days and remember the laughs we had. Sadly some of those school mates are no longer with us, but the memories are and that makes that album special for me.

Bat out of hell meat loaf.
I dont think theres anyone in my generation that hasnt had this in their collection at one time ! Every song was brilliant and related to some teenage angst at the time :)

The Undertones - The Undertones

B0000C0FCG.jpg

In 1979, at the age of 12, I was on holiday with my family. My older brother and I had enough money to each buy an LP and my brother had narrowed it down to two albums; The Undertones debut album and Scared to Dance by The Skids. He very thoughtfully allowed me to have first choice (of his two choices!) and I chose The Undertones album because I just liked the innocent posing of the band on the cover.

This was my first ever album and I played it constantly when I got home. I loved it right from the start and The Undertones became my favourite band (and still are). Even though I am now 42 and my musical tastes have changed over the years, I still have a special feeling when listening to anything by The Undertones and have particular fond memories of this album, their and my first!

It could equally have been New Boots and Panties but I've taken the road less travelled and gone for:

Power in the Darkness - Tom Robinson Band.

In '78 I was 17, living alone in London, ripping up my clothes, shoving safety pins through my face and having the time of my life. Worked with a couple of RAR activists - massive Clash fan and ended up at the legendary Anti-Nazi gig in Victoria Park. And saw Tom Robinson.

His music threw me - political, millitant, angry, radical - and intelligent, wry, witty and, heaven help us - amusing. He looked like a Bay City Roller and swore like a Pogue, the music was poppy, the message was anything but, and the inner sleeve had a stencil for a black power salute and details of the Gay Switchboard. TRB were one of the first to ally themself with RAR and Tom himself was one of the first openly gay performers - he was out there, and I loved him for it. All my mates wrote him off as socially responsible, but essentially a lightweight. But they didn't know Tom like I did.

I played the record incessently and at the time barely owned an article of clothing or furniture without the stencil on it. Tom spoke with my teenage voice - Up against the wall, better decide which side you're on, you gotta survive, winter of '79.... to me, this is what we were up against in 78, this was fighting the good fight, this was our battle cry and our anthem.

TRB weren't the Sex Pistols or the Clash, but in their own little way, they were as radical and as trailblazing and opened my mind to a different way to protest, with words and humour and ridicule rather than hurling dustbins at shop windows. Their music still speaks to me.

Last year at a Miles Hunt gig, he told a story of jamming with Tom in New York, and covered 'Up against the Wall'. Miles was surprised that I was word perfect, and we spoke afterwards, and sang a little bit of 'Winter of 79' to each other - I can't sing to save my life, but I hope Tom would be proud of me.

i find this the most impossible question ever to answer. There all my favs at one point or another. I dont fill my boxes wi crap. I fill em wi my soul x

how many are we allowed i mean really? What a fukin question to ask sumone. Tut tut. Da hool dextrous mix love parade theres one for you. Watch ya bass bins i'm tellin u

fuk me i killed teh thread fuk it. Nina jayne pale face like a feather, meks me melt wi the right subs x

sara parker my love is deep ...always records i learned to mix wi gotta be my favs even salt n pepper double pack push it now thats sumat i learned to mix wi, boring in a sense but gud for me... Am i too young for this thread or just off mi hed??

My current fave is Aretha Franklin-Songs Of Faith. It's her debut album recorded in a church in Detroit when she was 14. Backed just with either piano or organ. All gospel songs. Her voice is simply incredible. So raw and powerful. The soul just pours out. Inspirational stuff.

i'm also going to be naughty, and nominate two

the sheltering sky, king crimson
sex with a new lover on a summer's night...open windows, smells of grass and flowers

and
a side, warrior on the edge of time, hawkwind. it's all one trip really, be wrong to separate

for being absolutely spanked, lying on a hill on a clear night looking at the stars..a tune to plan an evening around, to go for a spaceflight

Moondance by Van Morrison. Cropped up at birthday parties, the beginnings of romances.. I never put it on myself but it appears at nice little moments throughout life.

Bargain Store by Dolly Parton, the greatest woman songwriter. For those of you of a certain age who have found true love after a long relationship gone wrong with one person (23 years in my case ) im sure will identify with these lyrics.
He has certainly replaced the missing part of my broken heart!
I apoloogise to to those of you that i have sung this track to.....but its very special to me x

2127.jpg

Because it is the only album I own which I have to listen to all the way through, it's seamless.

I'm listening to Fugazi now, I'm not even sure how I found them!

As for my favourite record ever I'd have to go NOFX Punk In Drublic. It just takes me back to good times with good friends.

Love every track

Motorhead - Iron Fist

Just perfect in every single way. Dirty, aggresive, groovy, sleazy and LOUD. When i was younger and squatting I used to have a framed pic of Lemmy that I took around with me and it was always the first thing that was put in place anytime I found a new place to live. I lost it somewhere along the way but still have all my motorhead vinyl, although Iron Fist was the party album so I doubt it will bear many more spins before falling to pieces.

The Stooges – Funhouse

Released in 1970, purchased by me in 1984 and my favourite record ever since. This one is an absolute monster. It should really be included as a ‘thank you for purchasing’ freebie inside the box of any new record or CD player. A solid and unfussy bass and drums combo lay a sparse and hard foundation while Iggy’s plaintive wanton howling has never sounded better. The real genius here, though, comes from guitar of the mighty Ron Asheton. This is the Stooges’ second album and Ron’s playing has come on a bomb and he’s now at the height of his powers. Tough dirty riffing and wailing wah drenched solos fill the room. The first side is relentless – Down On The Street/Loose/TV Eye/Dirt –every song perfect. You can’t recover from that and no one would expect you to. Side two starts in the same vein with ‘1970’ then things get truly weird with two tracks of extended free jazz lunacy. Like all great records (and there haven’t been that many over the last 50 years if we’re being honest), this one was made in isolation – no one else was making music remotely like this in 1970 and no one has come close since.

Gosh hard to pick one.
There are three that made me sit up and want to jump up.

World Domination Enterprises - Let's Play Domination
The Dwarves - Blood Guts and Pussy
Guitar Wolf - Love Rock

hard to choose one - can't believe the wonderful John Martyn has not been lauded on this thread - Bless the Weather is an album of gentle bliss. Martyn's voice floats lazily above crystalline chords, with the instrumental Glyndebourne signalling Martyn's enthusiastic echoplex guitar sound which would attain full gleaming virtuosity on Solid Air. For sheer longevity, I reach for Stormcock, Roy Harper. In truth, Harper is an artist who can give rise to major irritation on days when his nasal vocals are not really the ticket. Even so, I played this record continually during the summer heatwave of 1976. Living in boho comfort in a tiny Cambridge squat, 'Me and my Woman' sounded almost numinous, drifting around the half-dozen backgardens we had knocked together. We had peach trees and an aged russet apple which was turned into cider (we hired a press), there was loads of decent hash and many music wars. We had an Eagles, Steve Millar and Steely Dan camp, a small, but vociferous punk movement and a few hippy types who would drag out the Increds at every opportunity. Most afternoons, I would haul an armchair outside, get into prime loafing mode and play Stormcock as the heat (and the dope) made us all lethargic, dreamy and yearning.

O gods, this is always a changeable feast. It depends on the mood I find myself in. Currently, it's got to be Tom Waits "Nighthawks at the Diner". I just want to be there at that moment in time, taking in the atmosphere and being bewiched by Waits' drawl and schtick.

Taylor Swift - Mine. This song tells the story of puppy love with no results. I've experienced the same situation before, so every time I listen to it, I'll feel deeply touched and think of my first love.

Back
Top Bottom