Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Mable-martha (Girly kitten) had an unfortunate incident earlier when she finally plucked up the courage to jump from my bed onto the nearby bin .... Unfortunately it's a swingtop bin so whilst she successfully cleared the distance as soon as she landed on it it swallowed her whole :D I haven't laughed as hard in ages :thumbs: I did rescue her and she looked most put out :oops:

View attachment 186879

Cats hate being laughed at. Mine certainly look most put out.

chloe and rogue together

chrog.jpg

chrog2.jpg

Mable-martha (Girly kitten) had an unfortunate incident earlier when she finally plucked up the courage to jump from my bed onto the nearby bin .... Unfortunately it's a swingtop bin so whilst she successfully cleared the distance as soon as she landed on it it swallowed her whole :D I haven't laughed as hard in ages :thumbs: I did rescue her and she looked most put out :oops:

View attachment 186879

Did she do the "I meant that" look?

Have enjoyed a rare visit to this thread to catch up on the kittehs of urban.

Just wish I didn't live so close to the road; there's miles without on the other three sides ...

I do love a black cat Schmetterling .

I am Cat-less right now. My dear old One-eyed Cat died back in March and I’ve been dealimg with various crises since then. But I’m now in a new flat that is proper home, with a garden and a cat flap. I’m not quite ready for a personal companion, I don’t think, but I’m certainly noticing the locals. There’s a busy fella who scurries about twice a day, he uses my garden as a passageway but so far as I can tell he doesn’t stop here. And there is a gorgeous entirely black cat who has been spying on me from the roof of the shed. Quite shy, very sleek, a youngster. He’s literally crossed my path several times. That’s good luck, right?

Keep finding the bath mat in a crumpled up ball the other side of the bathroom. Found the culprit today .
View attachment 186996
View attachment 186998

It wasn't a shock to learn it was the mad ginger.

Does he do that thing if you discover him killing the bath mat where you can see the exact moment when he realises you are there and his back legs that are kicking the thing to death gradually slow down and stop...

I do love a black cat Schmetterling .

I am Cat-less right now. My dear old One-eyed Cat died back in March and I’ve been dealimg with various crises since then. But I’m now in a new flat that is proper home, with a garden and a cat flap. I’m not quite ready for a personal companion, I don’t think, but I’m certainly noticing the locals. There’s a busy fella who scurries about twice a day, he uses my garden as a passageway but so far as I can tell he doesn’t stop here. And there is a gorgeous entirely black cat who has been spying on me from the roof of the shed. Quite shy, very sleek, a youngster. He’s literally crossed my path several times. That’s good luck, right?

i have always thought of black cats as being special and that they bring good luck, though I was aware that people think of them as bringing bad luck, but was aghast to learn that they are difficult to home due to people’s suspicions and suspicious beliefs.
When we went to choose our cats from CHAT I was asked whether I don’t mind the fact that two of the three cats we chose - they were/are a family group that CHAT didn’t want to split - were black I said: Ach, they cancel each other out! :D

After the last of my previous set of two cats had died I had a break of exactly one year and that was nice but knew the time for more cats had come when I found myself absentmindedly petting my son’s outdoor microphone cover. Watch out for that behaviour and you will know. :)

Ok cat people... I need your help.

Firstly - Percy (8) is tolerating the beastlets but he's not really overjoyed about them and is mostly staying out or upstairs. Will he just get used to them in time?

Secondly - one of the reasons he's probably not all that enamoured with them is that they are apparently not inclined to use the litter tray. I initially bought wood but their old house used silica so I bought some of that. It's not helped. Later I'm going to buy another one to put in the hallway which is more private. Any other ideas?

If they do a poo somewhere they aren't supposed to, don't throw it away, put it in the litter tray - the smell will tell them that is the loo

Give any areas that they have pood or weed in that *aren't* the litter tray a good clean with an enzyme cleaner - brands such as UrineOff in spray bottles are your best bet IMO - so that the smell doesn't tell them *that* is the loo!

Make sure the litter trays have a little privacy, but not necessarily covered - they tend not to like folks walking past, but not all cats like those covered trays

If you see one of them squatting to go in the wrong place, don't make a big fuss, just gently say "No", pick them up and put them in the litter tray, praise when you see them getting it right. Although don't hover over them while they are using the tray, that can be offputting.

I am sure that it will sort itself out - they look to be quite little still and maybe didn't have much time to practice copying mum before going home with you

Firstly - Percy (8) is tolerating the beastlets but he's not really overjoyed about them and is mostly staying out or upstairs. Will he just get used to them in time?

maybe, maybe not. some cats don't get on with some other cats, the same as some humans don't get on with some other humans.

Secondly - one of the reasons he's probably not all that enamoured with them is that they are apparently not inclined to use the litter tray. I initially bought wood but their old house used silica so I bought some of that. It's not helped. Later I'm going to buy another one to put in the hallway which is more private. Any other ideas?

general wisdom is it's worth having one litter tray per kitty and then one spare (if home is big enough) - tends to reduce risk of one cat being reluctant to go to a tray that's in another cat's territory.

if not stating the obvious, cats protection have quite a lot of kitty advice online here

If they do a poo somewhere they aren't supposed to, don't throw it away, put it in the litter tray - the smell will tell them that is the loo

Give any areas that they have pood or weed in that *aren't* the litter tray a good clean with an enzyme cleaner - brands such as UrineOff in spray bottles are your best bet IMO - so that the smell doesn't tell them *that* is the loo!

Make sure the litter trays have a little privacy, but not necessarily covered - they tend not to like folks walking past, but not all cats like those covered trays

If you see one of them squatting to go in the wrong place, don't make a big fuss, just gently say "No", pick them up and put them in the litter tray, praise when you see them getting it right. Although don't hover over them while they are using the tray, that can be offputting.

I am sure that it will sort itself out - they look to be quite little still and maybe didn't have much time to practice copying mum before going home with you
All of this. And clear up spills really quickly and really well!

Back
Top Bottom