Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your best tips for a perfect roast chicken?

kittyP

Pluviophile
OK I have searched but there does not seem to be a thread for peoples opinions on the definitive roast chicken.

I have a medium sized free range one sitting in the fridge for tomorrow.

I don't want anything over the top, just the best way to get the perfect crispy skin, moist meat and timing etc?

Also feel free to add you own preferences like juniper and Jif cream cleaner if that's your thing.

Kitty x

Surely the answer is 'get mum to cook it'

I've seen lads wolf down their ma's dessicated shitbird with the zeal of a man who's not eaten in years.

stuffing a lemon up the arse also seems to work

I put a lemon half up the bum, and lift the skin at the neck and slide butter underneath rubbing some on the skin from the top too. Then season :)

This is the kinda of thing I am after.
I may have to puke* after lifting and feeling under the skin but it will be worth it.

*I have and issue with touching raw chicken and no other meat, even offal :confused:

I rub oil all over it, and then sprinkle the skin very liberally with salt then whack it in the oven. it has a crispy skin and is moist and juicy.

rub it with olive oil, salt and pepper, sometimes mixed herbs, lemon half in the cavity and cook in a fairly hot oven

The already cooked ones from M&S are quick, easy and surprisingly good, just rub a bit of butter on it, season etc. Srsly it sounds lazy but they are impressive!

You can stick a can of something up its arse, keeps it very moist. Beer or cider would both be fine I reckon. You need to sit it up IYKWIM if you do do so. Also loadsa butter, salt and pepper, all sorts up its arse as well.

You can stick a can of something up its arse, keeps it very moist. Beer or cider would both be fine I reckon. You need to sit it up IYKWIM if you do do so. Also loadsa butter, salt and pepper, all sorts up its arse as well.

I have been meaning to do the can up the arse thing for a while but will save that for another time I think. ;) :D
Wanna keep it simple tomorrow.

I think lemon up the arse, poke slivers of garlic under the skin, loadsa butter under and on the skin and a good dose of salt and pepper is what I have amalgamated from these posts.

Cheers guys x x

It's a medium sized chicken, how long to cook?
I always get paranoid and over cook :(

Have you a toothpick? Stick it in the thickest part of breast and thigh, when it's clear, not bloody you're good. Depends on the oven, but 30-40 minutes on about 180 degrees with a fan oven?

Cheers.

I have been known to go for 2hrs due to being paranoid.
I am only like it with chicken :oops:

I will restrain myself tomorrow :)

Butter under the skin, bacon over the top if you're feeling flash. Something involving a little bit of garlic if you're that way inclined. I can't remember. Long time since I've been involved in a roast chicken :)

Back
Top Bottom