Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yorkshire Yatter

The revitalisation of the Hebden Bridge district: greentrified Pennine rurality
http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/447/

I remember Yorkshire before these hippys came with their fruit trees and community garden projects:rolleyes:

DonoraSmokeStacks.jpg

Are you using the royal we, friedaweed ?
Is that King George?

I was discussing with my children only yesterday how someone who is born in another country can still play rugger or football for England. I used welsh international Pat Van den Hauwe as my example.:D Finn Larden then asked "What about cricket dad?" To which I replied "You will play for Yorkshire son, don't worry about your international career just yet";)

I will be gentrifying York tomorrow :hmm:
Are you by any chance going to the Beowulf in candlelight event? I went last night and it was truly atmospheric! The gentleman sitting next to me dozed off five minutes in. My friend lasted maybe 10 minutes longer and then fell into a deep sleep. Occasionally he woke up, gave me a sleepy kiss and fell back to sleep. Maybe it was because we were sitting in the back row - all other people seemed to be well awake.

Are you by any chance going to the Beowulf in candlelight event? I went last night and it was truly atmospheric! The gentleman sitting next to me dozed off five minutes in. My friend lasted maybe 10 minutes longer and then fell into a deep sleep. Occasionally he woke up, gave me a sleepy kiss and fell back to sleep. Maybe it was because we were sitting in the back row - all other people seemed to be well awake.
Just going for a general mooch around the Viking festival. Not sure if we'll make it to that, although one of the people I'm going with is a storyteller and has done Beowulf a few times so it'd be interesting to compare.

Was it in the original Old English?

Off to the Dales next weekend, hoping if the weather has to be shit thats its snow. Loads of snow :cool:

Went to the Kelham Island museum for the first time today (I live 5 minutes away), have to say it's pretty good. Certainly shits all over the Police and Fire engine place (although that has a fascinatingly weird room upstairs about some police chief who they view as something of a dear leader). Some excellent bits of machinery and nice old tools - there's a bit with tools for furniture making/general wood stuff which was quite odd, I still use many of the traditional tools so it was like a museum of my job. The highlight was, of course, the River Don engine - titan of a machine, when still it kind of exudes this caged energy, when running it's actually a bit scary. Beautiful piece of engineering. The speed it switches to reverse is amazing. Roadkill have you been?

Runs fast at about 3.20.

Last edited:
Can I just show some love for the River Don Engine. The bloke with a boiler suit and a neckerchief who gets it going has the best job in the world. Well, best job in Sheffield anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom