Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

Yes, and planning permission is needed to change from a1 -> a3. Must be a sign of the recession that noone is willing to punt on opening a new bar at the moment. It's a shame as it's unlikely that the change will be reversed in the future.

On a slightly more positive note it seems that the Farside is reopening soon, if it hasn't already. The old management are sadly out, but S and crew from The Railway are taking over by all accounts.
They've changed the name back to the original 'Old Queens Head' which can only be a good sign.

Loads of pubs have struggled, but the Living bar was a right earner, perfectly located and I'd say still a pretty safe bet as a lucrative bar.

Quite a few people around Brixton in the bar trade saw this potential and expressed serious interest in buying it, but the original wild asking price meant it stayed empty for a long time.

Yes, and planning permission is needed to change from a1 -> a3. Must be a sign of the recession that noone is willing to punt on opening a new bar at the moment. It's a shame as it's unlikely that the change will be reversed in the future.
It seems strange seeing as the night economy in Brixton looks pretty bright: the Fridge has reopened, the Ritzy has a new venue, the Rest Is Noise has opened and Hootananny is doing well too.

Loads of pubs have struggled, but the Living bar was a right earner, perfectly located and I'd say still a pretty safe bet as a lucrative bar.

Quite a few people around Brixton in the bar trade saw this potential and expressed serious interest in buying it, but the original wild asking price meant it stayed empty for a long time.
I saw the freehold for sale for something £1.2 million a while back...:eek:

1.2 Million!!

No wonder it was empty for so long. 800K would be a reasonable asking price. Clearly your not going to make that with fish, so who ever currently owns it has a loan against it and needs to try to hold onto it by renting it out.

A music free rustic gastro style pub could do very well if the food was good and the bar well stocked. Its fitting well with the building. Unfortunately you'd need someone with talent to run the food or its doomed.

Was Living a right earner? Even allowing for LM's habits, it only ever seemed to get busy at weekends and then only for a few hours, often coinciding with drinks promotions and special nights. For a lot of the week it was fairly empty - I can't even remember if it was open daytime

My gut feel is that it's a bit small for a full on dancey-boozer, it doesn't have much of a kitchen iirc and there's not much of an outside area for smokers. And to be brutal it doesn't have a set of dedicated locals bringing in a steady revenue stream. Add to that it's surrounded by well kitted out competitors with better reputations.

It's far from an impossible mission, but it doesn't strike me as a pub with massive obvious potential. You'd have to invest and work hard to carve out the right positioning for it.

I agree tarrannau, I reckon it would take a lot of hard work and deep pockets to sort this place out. The location is perfect - apart perhaps from having the Albert opposite!

I saw the freehold for sale for something £1.2 million a while back...:eek:
Here's the link - which also shows you what it looked like before these new signs went up [opens a PDF]

Was Living a right earner? Even allowing for LM's habits, it only ever seemed to get busy at weekends and then only for a few hours, often coinciding with drinks promotions and special nights. For a lot of the week it was fairly empty - I can't even remember if it was open daytime
I disagree - and so would several local landlords/promoters who were mustard keen to get their hands on the place when it first went up for sale.

It would need work and investment of course, but I'd happily take a punt on the place (well, I would if I wasn't promoting a club directly opposite!).

It seems strange seeing as the night economy in Brixton looks pretty bright: the Fridge has reopened, the Ritzy has a new venue, the Rest Is Noise has opened and Hootananny is doing well too.

Has it?

Is it still a gay nightclub?

There was all that thing a couple of years ago, where the brave old coppers raided it to rid Brixton of the scourge of gay people in a club on E causing no trouble.

True, but there was also that incident when the Fridge bouncers nearly kicked that guy to death on the main road outside the club. I thought that was why it got closed down.

The security was very in-your-face getting into the Fridge. You had to empty your pockets into a tray and then get a full pat-down, airport style.

Not the most welcoming of entrances, really.

Got a reply from the council:
I write further to your recent emails concerning the change of use and display of advertisements at 443-445 Coldharbour Lane, to advise you that an enforcement case is currently running and your details have been added to the case

Has it?

Is it still a gay nightclub?

There was all that thing a couple of years ago, where the brave old coppers raided it to rid Brixton of the scourge of gay people in a club on E causing no trouble.

They've had a few gay nights over the last year, Love Muscle has been on a few times and other promoters have had a go. They've been good nights but competition from Vauxhall and the credit crunch have made it hard to get the numbers through the door to make it work :(

yeah we got a reply from the council too. i expect they'll visit the place and try to resolve it informally to begin with...

Fairplay to the council. I didn't expect them to react so quickly. Still, goes to show it's never too late to complain about a blatant breach of the planning laws..

Back
Top Bottom