Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

Did you see one then?

I certainly didn't and I pass by there most days and would certainly have looked at such a notice.

So it looks like it has been slapped up without permission?

I did ask some fellas unloading a lorry next to there, a couple of weeks ago, what they were doing & they said something about refrigeration which makes more sense now. I thought they were just using the insides of the building for storage.

Anyway, it's a shame about the building but then I'd rather have it in use than a boarded up eyesore.

And as far as I'm aware, moaning about things on Urban doesn't really get things too far.

All the best with your campaign though. :)

And as far as I'm aware, moaning about things on Urban doesn't really get things too far.
in fact, we've had several successes with planning issues which started on here, e.g. stopping the old bike shop getting turned into another bar, and stopping the footpath between tulse hill and appach road getting closed by the building of some 'luxury' flats.

I'll look up Dombeys at the weekend then. I wasn't aware it existed. I don't shop a lot down the bottom of the hill except Iceland and the fish place under the railway line.

All the best with your campaign though. :)
It's not a 'campaign' but I've every right to comment on tacky developments on my street. And sometimes 'moaning' on here can bring about a response in the real world too, so perhaps you shouldn't be so negative.

Oh, and you didn't answer my question. Did you see a laminated street notice about this or not?

I can't believe someone who often does their shopping at Iceland's has the temerity to whine about halal butchers, especially when they seemingly can't use the eyes in their head to spot the umpteen pork vendors in Brixton.

Bigotry make you blind these days AJ? Or do you make this whinge about halal every time anything vaguely connected is mentioned?

in fact, we've had several successes with planning issues which started on here, e.g. stopping the old bike shop getting turned into another bar, and stopping the footpath between tulse hill and appach road getting closed by the building of some 'luxury' flats.

Looks like the boat has been missed here.

Heh a good joke that's been missed by the look of it...:hmm:

It wasn't. :)

i have no objection whatsoever to that building used for what it is being used for.

but ffs it looks a fucking eyesore, twas a lovely pretty original facade.

Can they really have got planning permission to do this to such a fine old building?

coach-and-horses.jpg

Oh that's great. Brilliant. Can't wait to head down there now.

Can remember that road about 8-10 years (haven't been there at night for a while) or ago being buzzing on a Friday Sat night. Really, really buzzing with revellers or people just enjoying the evening.

Would be a damn shame if CHL morphed into the usual chicken shops, nail bars, money exchange etc.

Lambeth Planning for the town centre are massively understaffed, I did an FOI request last year and they had something like 12 outstanding breaches for the last 5 years just for electric avneue. They cant cope with it. I'd email a a complaint, but they probably already think i'm a nutjob. anyone? tpac@lambeth.gov.uk

edit: yes, those signs would need some kind of permission as far as I know

Can remember that road about 8-10 years (haven't been there at night for a while) or ago being buzzing on a Friday Sat night. Really, really buzzing with revellers or people just enjoying the evening.

Would be a damn shame if CHL morphed into the usual chicken shops, nail bars, money exchange etc.

Yeah, that'd be awful if it became a road with shops that local people had demand for and used rather than style bars that mainly incomers popped into every 5 years or so

WTF?

So it looks like it has been slapped up without permission?

Sounds like a job for lang rabbie!

I'm currently dashing around my flat with buckets dealing with leaking roof so not well placed to do much.

Suggest contacting all three Coldharbour ward councillors - Donatus Anyanwu, Rachel Heywood and Sharon Malley and making it clear that such an obvious breach of planning in a key conservation area is a major embarrassment for the council.

However, as the sign doesn't appear from that photo to be back illuminated it would not automatically get turned down in a conservation area - any arguments will have to be about size and proportions relative to the character of the Coach and Horses building.

Course it doesn't, unless you've some weird belief that you can taste the neck cut or the presence of ethnic hands on your bangers.

It's just AJ being a bigoted plum, again.

Buy a big lump dead cow from a non Halal butcher
Buy exactly the same lump (well as close as you can get) from a Halal butcher

Lay them on plates for a day

Loads mor Blud drips from the non Halal - better for yer Blue Steaks but otherwise not a lot of difference....

It might not be as good as bringing back the old but comfortable Coach and Horses but it's a sure fire improvement on that fucking Living Bar.

That said an abattoir would be better, or a nuclear waste tip.

I'm currently dashing around my flat with buckets dealing with leaking roof so not well placed to do much.

Suggest contacting all three Coldharbour ward councillors - Donatus Anyanwu, Rachel Heywood and Sharon Malley and making it clear that such an obvious breach of planning in a key conservation area is a major embarrassment for the council.

However, as the sign doesn't appear from that photo to be back illuminated it would not automatically get turned down in a conservation area - any arguments will have to be about size and proportions relative to the character of the Coach and Horses building.

Also the method of fixing - if it's damaged any of the shopfront (and it seems likely that it will have) then that's certainly a valid concern.

If someone has the time to do it, I would definitely recommend that a complaint is made to Lambeth planning. The complaint will ideally be accompanied by some photographs.

http://e-forms.lambeth.gov.uk/Lambeth.EForms.PlanningEnforce/(fq0tva45d53zqc45kxgbzsys)/Default.aspx

Editor, if you aren't able to do it, if you email me the photos you took, (did you take any more close-up ones?) I will do it myself.

I reported some demolition in a Brixton conservation area a couple of years ago and they did respond, and an officer came round to look. He agreed it was technically illegal but said they wouldn't pursue it because it was relatively minor. This, though, is on a main street and affects the frontage of a historic building so I think they'd have to take it seriously.

Even if Lambeth are too crap to do anything about it, I think it's worth registering the complaint as a matter of principle. At least they might speak to the buiding owners and give them some hassle which might just make it slightly less likely they'll do any further damage to the building.

Also the method of fixing - if it's damaged any of the shopfront (and it seems likely that it will have) then that's certainly a valid concern.

I reported some demolition in a Brixton conservation area a couple of years ago and they did respond, and an officer came round to look. He agreed it was technically illegal but said they wouldn't pursue it because it was relatively minor. This, though, is on a main street and affects the frontage of a historic building so I think they'd have to take it seriously.

Even if Lambeth are too crap to do anything about it, I think it's worth registering the complaint as a matter of principle. At least they might speak to the buiding owners and give them some hassle which might just make it slightly less likely they'll do any further damage to the building.

I have done this before in CHL . It was sorted out. The officer did get on the case and told the shopkeeper to take down the awning etc.

Depends on the officer maybe. When I put in a complaint about the removal of the fountain outside the library and changes to the Tate Gardens they didnt want to know.

Dogstar Larry did a lot of damge to the building. His excuse being that that he denied doing it and there was no proof. Which is why recent photo is good idea as LR says.

It's not a 'campaign' but I've every right to comment on tacky developments on my street. And sometimes 'moaning' on here can bring about a response in the real world too, so perhaps you shouldn't be so negative.

Oh, and you didn't answer my question. Did you see a laminated street notice about this or not?

I never saw one and i walk by there on a regular basis. In any case its worth putting in a complaint.

I have done this before in CHL . It was sorted out. The officer did get on the case and told the shopkeeper to take down the awning etc.

Depends on the officer maybe. When I put in a complaint about the removal of the fountain outside the library and changes to the Tate Gardens they didnt want to know.

Dogstar Larry did a lot of damge to the building. His excuse being that that he denied doing it and there was no proof. Which is why recent photo is good idea as LR says.

I'd imagine that the changes to Tate Gardens had already gone through the process of consideration by the planners, and they had approved it, which is why they weren't going to consider an objection after the event. This seems not to have been subject to any application, so hasn't been considered by them which is why they ought to take action.

Also -

I would have thought that this constitute a change of use? ie. from public house to shop. That should have been subject to planning permission in its own right.

Its almost certain they have done this without planning permission. I can access the crap Lambeth website but have been able to download Planning enforcement form.

The grounds would be possible:

Material change of use
Unauthorised advertisement
Development without Conservation area consent.

Affect on "amenity". Makes the area look shite:p

The change of appearance of the building without consent is important in a Conservation area.

I'd imagine that the changes to Tate Gardens had already gone through the process of consideration by the planners, and they had approved it, which is why they weren't going to consider an objection after the event. This seems not to have been subject to any application, so hasn't been considered by them which is why they ought to take action.

Actually in the case of Tate Gardens no. Im not talking about the new square but when they took away the old fountain and some seats and paved it.

It was done with no planing application. They said it was movement of street furniture and did not need planning consent. I put in planning enforcement query to contest this as it was major works imo. Removal of the old fountain was more than moving street furniture.

The officer doing the case (or rather not doing it) asked why i wanted to know. I said i just wanted to know if a retrospective planning application was required or fountain reinstated. He said he had spoken to the senior involved who had done it by "consulting" residents. I said it probably still needed a planning application which was a form of consultation.

Apparently senior officrs werent happy i had queried this.Made me more sure i had a point. I now what "consultation" is like in Lambeth. Planning applications are at least quasi judicial and a proper process you can comment on.

Of course nothing came of this.

Back
Top Bottom