Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup VAR and the French penalty

There is only divided opinion on the penalty because you have clowns like lawrenson saying it can't be a penalty because he touched the ball. Every single referee who saw that on replay would agree it was a penalty so it was in no way a contentious decision

The standard of refereeing in the PL has been awful for years so this might actually help improve things. VAR decisions need to be quick which I think they have been in the WC so far and they have hardly affected the flow of the games

Do you really think that? And what possible relevance does it have to this?
And you've spoken to them all? What a ridiculous comment to make.
No I haven't spoken to them all but that one they keep in the box agreed with the ref on the field so that's 2 out of 2 so far

No I haven't spoken to them all but that one they keep in the box agreed with the ref on the field so that's 2 out of 2 so far
But very, very short of "every single referee who saw that on replay." Admit it - it was a stupid thing to say. If referees were all 100% consistent like that, there'd be no need for VAR.

But very, very short of "every single referee who saw that on replay." Admit it - it was a stupid thing to say. If referees were all 100% consistent like that, there'd be no need for VAR.
Fucking hell it's called hyperbole you have heard of that before?

It's actually 3 refs thought it was a penalty - on the pitch, the var ref and the one in the studio. Because it was a penalty. The only people saying it wasn't a penalty are idiots like mark lawrenson.

The VAR ref doesnt get say in the decision, so thats still only 1.

he tackled him and in the course of the tackle caught him after connecting with ball. No penalty.

he tackled him and in the course of the tackle caught him after connecting with ball. No penalty.
Nah if he'd tackled him the ball would have been taken away from griezmann's control. He very slightly touched the ball onto griezmanns boot, the ball rebounded forward in the direction griezmann was moving and then he took his legs away. Just because he touched the ball first it doesn't mean he gets to wipe him out, if he'd made proper contact with the ball and cleared it away then no penalty but he didn't do that

Nah if he'd tackled him the ball would have been taken away from griezmann's control. He very slightly touched the ball onto griezmanns boot, the ball rebounded forward in the direction griezmann was moving and then he took his legs away. Just because he touched the ball first it doesn't mean he gets to wipe him out, if he'd made proper contact with the ball and cleared it away then no penalty but he didn't do that
show me in the laws where it gives a measurement of how far a tackler must use the ball for it to be a tackle!

Not conclusive .Such a precedence would leave the game open to all sorts of professional fouls. Touch the ball slightly in a tackle and then take the forwards teeth out, in the same tackle, with the same foot. Fair? ...
show me in the laws where it gives a measurement of how far a tackler must use the ball for it to be a tackle!
The Aussie stopped Griesmann from active play with the second movement of his foot - admittedly the same foot that very slightly touched the ball. A touch that had no bearing on the trajectory of the ball in relativity to Griesmanns movement towards goal in the penalty area. Clear cut!

Last edited:
Having said that, the Peru VAR decision vs Denmark was a joke. the Peruvian forward intentionally put positioned his foot in the way of the danish defenders trailing foot, yet the ref gave it after reviewing VAR
. just shows how naive the refs are.
see 1:45 in
Peru 0-1 Denmark (WORLD CUP 2018) Highlights
the cheating forward then went on to take the penaly and did one of those dodgy staggering run ups... and sent the ball into row z... cunt... Karma

Back
Top Bottom