Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

I think it's a combination of the 0 commission offer and the fact that they are valuing properties way, way higher than haart and local agencies.

94% is a high %.. higher valuation bands (they work in 25,000s at the lower end) can always be negotiated down. Every buyer knows there is a Foxton's premium. They also know that is a prop doesn't sell and it is closing in on end of 0% commission time, you can offer (at the every least the balance in commission between 2.5% and a local agent) so the buyer doesn't have to pay Foxton's more..

It means if you want to buy in the Brixton area you will almost certainly have to buy through Foxton's.. who will then be able to claim a higher and more recent sales record than any other agent. And so it will continue. Moving forward other agents will start adopting sharper practices to survive..

its what Fucksticks do though right? Value everything higher and its a vicious circle, seller is told foxtons will get them more, they go with foxtons, they have more control over the market... I have been burnt to the tune of many thousands twice after Foxtons interfered with a purchase.

94% is a high %.. higher valuation bands (they work in 25,000s at the lower end) can always be negotiated down. Every buyer knows there is a Foxton's premium. They also know that is a prop doesn't sell and it is closing in on end of 0% commission time, you can offer (at the every least the balance in commission between 2.5% and a local agent) so the buyer doesn't have to pay Foxton's more..

It means if you want to buy in the Brixton area you will almost certainly have to buy through Foxton's.. who will then be able to claim a higher and more recent sales record than any other agent. And so it will continue. Moving forward other agents will start adopting sharper practices to survive..
Keatings at least already have answered with a 0% commission rate of their own.

Pretty sure I saw a poster of theirs with a prominent 0% on it. Could have misread it of course.
I think you may have done. They launched a campaign which targeted Foxtons 0% deal without naming Foxtons. It had a big 0% on it but basically suggested that the 0% deal was for suckers. Reckon the 0% deal must be hard to resist if you are selling.

I think you may have done. They launched a campaign which targeted Foxtons 0% deal without naming Foxtons. It had a big 0% on it but basically suggested that the 0% deal was for suckers. Reckon the 0% deal must be hard to resist if you are selling.
You could well be right, yeah.

Such is the demand for property in London that using an estate agent is probably a waste of money - my workmate has just been gazumped for the second time while trying to buy here. I reckon I'd try to go it alone if I was selling at the moment.

its what Fucksticks do though right? Value everything higher and its a vicious circle, seller is told foxtons will get them more, they go with foxtons, they have more control over the market... I have been burnt to the tune of many thousands twice after Foxtons interfered with a purchase.

I think people are aware of how shitty Foxtons are though, I would never sell my house through them.

When I sold my flat in Loughborough Junction, Oliver Burns in Herne Hill valued it much much higher than Haarts in Brixton or Burnet Ware in Herne Hill who both came in at the same price.

I went with Haarts & Burnet Ware on a joint deal, sold at a fair price in 3 weeks. Downstairs neighbour sold his a year later through Oliver Burn who overvalued it and it took him months to shift.

Foxtons sold a friends flat in Clapham, reeled him in on a high valuation and over the next couple of months devalued it by 25%

I think people are aware of how shitty Foxtons are though, I would never sell my house through them.

When I sold my flat in Loughborough Junction, Oliver Burns in Herne Hill valued it much much higher than Haarts in Brixton or Burnet Ware in Herne Hill who both came in at the same price.

I went with Haarts & Burnet Ware on a joint deal, sold at a fair price in 3 weeks. Downstairs neighbour sold his a year later through Oliver Burn who overvalued it and it took him months to shift.

Foxtons sold a friends flat in Clapham, reeled him in on a high valuation and over the next couple of months devalued it by 25%
Sadly they got the valuation for the flat we're currently in spot on, didn't take more than 2 weeks for the landlady to get her asking price.

Mate of mine was advised by two agents for his 2 bed in Herne Hill. One agent advised putting it on at 345 for a slowish sale or 325 for a faster sale. He put it on at 325 on the Thursday, had eight bids at asking price by Saturday, went to sealed bids and sold for 345ish on the Monday. He was rather pleased.

First comment :D

afa991e8168bd2d90cf0f9e02ea6e741

Ian March 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm · Reply
hmm… not bad, no spelling mistakes; however I think a more effective ‘protest’ would be to get nicely drunk, walk in, sit down and order a number 24 and a number 35 (don’t go for the green curry was always awful) and repeat weekly – if group dinners can be arranged even better…

Back
Top Bottom