Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

The social event of the season has happened, I was there, anyway I walked past and here's the evidence. My over whelming impression was that there was a lot of dark grey suits and paper plates...
I wish I could unview that scene.

I walked past too, and was wondering how long it would be before someone put a Mini through that window.

BTW - are estate agents the only people who wear suits these days?

I know the Office of Fair Trading had run-ins with them about fly-boarding. They made a big mistake when they stuck a board outside Alistair Campbell's house...

I've ripped down many boards outside our flat. It not allowed and the fuckers nail into our brick work. I have informed the odd estate agent that if it happens again I'll be nailing it to their shop window.

The wood can be very useful source in projects.

I had a look in the window when I walked past last night. £455k for a two bedroom flat in Elm Park, yes it looks nicely done but way overpriced. You can buy a three bedroom house in the next street for less than that..

without the residential sales/letting industry, the arse would fall out of the not-very-lucrative bike hockey scene.

/trupost.

XtK2.jpeg

I had a look in the window when I walked past last night. £455k for a two bedroom flat in Elm Park, yes it looks nicely done but way overpriced. You can buy a three bedroom house in the next street for less than that..

Same can be said all over London. Doesn't matter what is on the next road really.

More crazy Brixton:

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?bedrooms_from=2&center_point_name=SW2 4EN&keyword_type=postcode&lat=51.447194658835&lon=-0.127290579194229&property_id=728144&radius=0.5&search_form=keyword&search_type=SS&sold=1&submit_type=search

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?bed...word&search_type=SS&sold=1&submit_type=search

House prices for Victorian conversions are at their highest at the moment. It's the Clapham etc overspill and gentrification of Brixton.

The flat I am buying is under 200k, the next road I can see into the garden of 700k+ properties. (Holmewood Gardens area)

I remove 'let by' and 'let by and managed' signs in this street. Estate agents put them up as adverts. Why do we need to know they have (already) let a property to people?

If abused, Estate Agents boards are anti-competitive.

The most effective form of avertising for Estate Agents is their 'board count'. As a general rule - if someone see lots of boards in their area from a particular agent when they're thinking of buying, selling or renting, they will tend to assume that company is one of the better ones so are more likely to consider them. Estate Agents know this, so they obsess about their board count. Whacking signs up which are unrelated to any actual sales is effectively cheating both ordinary people and the competition. Foxtons have history on this - but they're not alone.

Leaving signs up longer than the statutory period (shoul be removed 14 days after sale or let) is much more rife in Lambeth - some signs stay in place for months if not years. I had a motion passed at Full Council two years ago calling on Lambeth to write to all agents asking them to clean up their act on this, and threatening action on those who didn't. Despite it getting passed as policy, it seems nothing was done about it. I asked Lib Peck a follow-up question on it 6mths later (it was her portfolio at the time) and got a garbled response which basically confirmed nothing had been done. I will ask again at the next opportunity, as it seems that the council still doesn't take the mushrooming of estate agents' signs across the borough seriously. Seems it's okay to turn a blind eye to some free advertising in our public realm - yet I've had small local shops in my patch threatened by the council and told to take down PVC banners etc.

And they can't even spell: The Keatings boards advertising Sudbourne school fair had '23st March'. Van was sent round yesterday to change them all to '23rd March'

i wanna know where these people who buy up the sort of places mentioned here send their kids to school? from what i can make out, they don't send them to any of the schools i know in the brixton area.

private schools? genuine question.

(Re: Keating)
I know for a fact that they're incompetent cunts.
After they kinda fucked me as a tenant years ago, I call them "Cunting Estates" :cool:

Btw Kanda, sounds like you're very near to us! (though our place was nowhere near £700k! :eek: )

Back
Top Bottom