Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

Why buy through them? Either through naivety - or they have the house you want
Well. You think they have a house that might be worth looking at. But when you get there you discover it is under offer and they evade questions about whether they knew that when you called. But it's ok, they have one round the corner! For that 2 minuted you are in the car they either pump you for information or patronise you (I'm blonde and female- I got the explanation of the city's effect on house prices that was both factually incorrect, poorly expressed and completely irrelevant) before showing you a house that is wildly over priced. Where they then claim not to see the damp that is running down the walls or the interesting crack where they have put an extension on and merrily knocked out the back wall. Then they and every other foxtons agent in south London call you once a day for three weeks.

Someone said it is their reward model that makes them behave like that, but <<shudder>>

What about if you pay rent to a landlord that bought up lots of property?

Doesn't that make you part of the problem too?

I don't understand.

Isn't everywhere becoming "gentrified" not just London

I live in the crappier end of a village in North Bucks, loads of the houses in this street are being done up, lots no longer really look like the 1930s semis they are

I'm everso naive, genuine questions.

Just thinking about estate agents exacerbates my hypertension. Their whole business model, buying or letting, depends on people moving all the time, creating transient communities of rootless souls chasing an impossible aspirational dream built like the financial crisis on debts that can never be repaid. There's even one in Clapham that's actually called "aspire", which would be funny if the consequences of their victims missing the irony weren't so tragic for us all.
So true, so true.

They need renters to move each year so they can get their fees off the landlords and tenants. They even charge for renewing a contract (they shouldn't iirc due to recent guidelines). When I find somewhere I like, I like to live there for a long time, not move every year, which is just nuts. I love where I live, but with rising prices I'm shitting it that they're gonna ramp the rent up, which could result in having to move to another area :(

I don't understand.

Isn't everywhere becoming "gentrified" not just London

I live in the crappier end of a village in North Bucks, loads of the houses in this street are being done up, lots no longer really look like the 1930s semis they are

I'm everso naive, genuine questions.

Yes, gentrification has spread all across South London, turning unremarkable places such as East Dulwich and Balham into unaffordable ones.

Brixton had avoided this for historic reasons.

foxton-arrives-brixton-1.jpg

*sobs.

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-brixton-apocalypse-begins-as-foxtons-arrive-on-brixton-road/

Eagerly awaited by comrade Molotov and his cocktails!

Between our flat and the two upstairs, our address has received 6 letters like that from Foxtons in one go- three addressed to real residents (though we're the only ones still living here- the two upstairs moved out some time ago) and three addressed to 'the occupier'.

Not the first time it happens either. Fuck knows how much money the parasitic cunts are spending in mailshots across the borough.

Letter dated 04/02/2013
Brixton Foxtons office opens on the 9th of March
Sell Your Home For Free With Foxtons 0% Commission Offer

0% commission offer is applicable if you ONLY advertise with Foxtons, otherwise you will be charged 3% commission. If you do advertise with Foxtons the property MUST sell by 5pm on 08/06/2013. This means that offers have to be accepted and solicitors instructed.

Look at the small print. If they sell before a certain date then there is no fee but if they don’t sell it before then you will pay their 3% commission fee. You are likely to be tied into contract for a long period of time and generally speaking they will overprice initially (to gain little interest) and then push the seller to reduce sales price after the ‘FREE’ period so they can sell it and claim their 3% commission fee. Obvious they would have calculated for a small percentage to sell for free but the majority would be paying. Mark my words I have had past experience of this ‘clever’ marketing ploy.

People will take them up on this offer and as a result Foxtons will be able to cover the area with estate agent signs. Also many (greedy) sellers will ditch or choose not to use other local agents in the hope of selling for free.

Letter dated 04/02/2013

0% commission offer is applicable if you ONLY advertise with Foxtons, otherwise you will be charged 3% commission. If you do advertise with Foxtons the property MUST sell by 5pm on 08/06/2013. This means that offers have to be accepted and solicitors instructed.

People will take them up on this offer and as a result Foxtons will be able to cover the area with estate agent signs. Also many (greedy) sellers will ditch or choose not to use other local agents in the hope of selling for free.

My first thoughts when I read it was they're not going to really try to get it sold before 8 June so you'll have to pay the commission anyway. Dodgy gits.

Letter dated 04/02/2013

Also only the 'first 200' people to sign up get the free deal anyway...

I assumed it was going to be more 'oh sorry you didn't make the first 200, but tell you want, coz I like you why don't I give you a discount to 2% anyway'

Take a week or so to get the property listed and paperwork done.
The property will be overvalued so won't sell. On the rare occasion it does they will be selling both parties mortgage services and anything else they can bolt on.

Later they will advise the vendor that market conditions mean they need to drop the price (closer to the end of the 0% offer). They also have a brutal legal team behind them.

I know that staff from Foxtons will hide (or take home) keys to properties they know will sell so other staff can't show buyers the property. Greed is encouraged :(

This offer is pure marketing. They will be setting up deals with developers to make the bulk of their early money.

Brixton Hatter said:
So true, so true.

They need renters to move each year so they can get their fees off the landlords and tenants. They even charge for renewing a contract (they shouldn't iirc due to recent guidelines). When I find somewhere I like, I like to live there for a long time, not move every year, which is just nuts. I love where I live, but with rising prices I'm shitting it that they're gonna ramp the rent up, which could result in having to move to another area :(

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2010/19-10#.URRhnEMt3xc

Back
Top Bottom