Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

editor

hiraethified
Fire at Crooked House Pub

Well, what a surprise.

A famed 18th Century building once known as "Britain's wonkiest pub" has been completely gutted by a fire.

Smoke was reported coming from The Crooked House at Himley, near Dudley, at about 22:00 BST on Saturday.

Pictures from scene showed the property, which drastically subsided in the 19th Century, engulfed by flames.

Last month, it was confirmed the owners, Marston's, had sold the popular Black Country landmark to a private buyer for "an alternative use".

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said no-one was believed to be inside the building at the time and no injuries had been reported.

Author Miranda Dickinson, from Wolverhampton, said: "This is so sad. The Crooked House was a Black Country landmark, recently controversially sold and now suddenly gutted by fire.
"Such a horrible end to a much-loved building."

The Crooked House pub

Barely a week since the announcement that it had been sold and would not reopen as a pub - if it turns out the new owners were behind the fire, I hope they get ordered to rebuild it wonky brick by wonky brick

It's grade II listed so any shenanigans and they could be forced to rebuild it. Tregothnan Estate (Lord Falmouth) apparantly gutted a pub in a village along from me and then found out it was grade I listed. I heard they would be forced to rebuild but I'm not sure whether they eventually did.

Very sad....and suspicious :(
We've been chatting about it on the Birmingham and Black Country thread.
As I said on the BBC thread, I was immediately suspicious about this fire.
Whether or not arson can be proved & pinned onto the new owner, "he" should be forced to re-instate it exactly as it was.
Having thought further about it should then be confiscated and given to a locally run CIC to operate as a community centre ...

Too much of a coincidence, and has many similarities to the fate of the Bonded Warehouses on Newcastle Quayside.
Those were also listed, and due to be "redeveloped" ...

Back
Top Bottom