Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*wireless watch* > post your radio recommendations here

For anyone who hasn't caught up with it yet, I recommend Iggy Pop's two hour show on Sunday afternoons on 6Music, a two hour master class in how a radio music show should be.

This week's programme goes from The Nitty Gritty by Shirley Ellis to the Second Movement of Gorecki's Second Symphony :eek: :thumbs:

I'm a new poster and I can't quite work how to quote....I clicked on quote in answer to andysays so fingers crossed.. I caught up with Iggy Pops In Praise Of Beauty today and thoroughly enjoyed it ...lots for me to enjoy on it.
Going on to another station and programme Radio 4's Great Lives this week had Isy Sutti championing Jake Thackray. She hadn't even heard of him 9 months ago until a friend sent her one of his albums for her birthday ...she is now an avid fan.

Jake Thackray hated being known as the north country Noel Coward, but at the height of his fame the description stuck. His songs are very British, but his influences were European - Georges Brassens and Jacques Brel.

The presenter is Matthew Parris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042jhlm

I enjoyed this the first time round ..an interesting and entertaining listen.

Radio 4 Afternoon Drama

Strangers on a Film
Patrick Stewart plays Raymond Chandler and Clive Swift is Alfred Hitchcock in their famous collaboration on 'Strangers on a Train'. In 1950, Alfred Hitchcock invited Raymond Chandler to work with him on a screenplay based on Patricia Highsmith's novel. Chandler was not only recognised as a fine novelist and had also received an Academy Award nomination for his original screenplay, The Blue Dahlia. The omens were good but their collaboration turned out to be a disaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0151t3t

Last edited:
Original British Dramatists

Radio 4 premieres dramas by ten writers new to radio and ones to watch, with stories ranging from a man who eats furniture to one who takes a holiday to Tanzania every week

Today's offering...

Paris, Nana & Me by Caroline Horton

A lovely insight into the relationship between Caroline and her Nana - a truly delightful listen.

In 2009 writer and performer Caroline Horton took her ninety year-old Grandmother on one last trip to Paris. Having grown up hearing her Nana's vivid stories of the city, Caroline excitedly planned their Parisian adventure. But it's hard to have an unforgettable trip with someone who can't remember what they were doing yesterday. And sight-seeing is not much fun with somebody who is virtually blind. A funny and heartbreakingly poignant journey through the city of love and the ravages of time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042zsy3

File on 4 on exploitation esp in the construction industry. Very good, not sensationalist doc on trafficking and modern day slavery.

Right then. Anyone a fan of the following?

Shedtown
Those little skits Isy Suttie does.
Desert Island Discs
The Paul Temple series

Just putting some feelers out for recommendations cos I usually have something wireless on.

Right then. Anyone a fan of the following?

Shedtown
Those little skits Isy Suttie does.
Desert Island Discs
The Paul Temple series

Just putting some feelers out for recommendations cos I usually have something wireless on.
I have LOVED Shedtown from the start. Maxine Peake's narration is terrific (put me in mind of Under Milk Wood) but the real star of the show is the writing by Tony Pitts which is superb. Alas the Sheddists will be no more as that was the last series.

I have LOVED Shedtown from the start. Maxine Peake's narration is terrific (put me in mind of Under Milk Wood) but the real star of the show is the writing by Tony Pitts which is superb. Alas the Sheddists will be no more as that was the last series.
I did really enjoy it. I almost want the whole thing on CD so I can do it all in one go. Shame the iPlayer doesn't offer it all. Maxine Peake's voice is very soothing.

Desert Island Discs was very good today I thought. Chris Packham is my all time favourite DID of all the ones I have listened to.

I did really enjoy it. I almost want the whole thing on CD so I can do it all in one go. Shame the iPlayer doesn't offer it all. Maxine Peake's voice is very soothing.

Desert Island Discs was very good today I thought. Chris Packham is my all time favourite DID of all the ones I have listened to.
Good ... it's a wonderful listen.:)

<snip>championing Jake Thackray. She hadn't even heard of him 9 months ago until a friend sent her one of his albums for her birthday ...she is now an avid fan.

Jake Thackray hated being known as the north country Noel Coward, but at the height of his fame the description stuck. His songs are very British, but his influences were European - Georges Brassens and Jacques Brel.
A mate of mine used a clip from one of his songs in one of his dj sets, I'd never heard of him either but I love this:

(*sent it to a friend who only listens to 'hip' music though, he stubbornly refused to comment.)

Last edited:
Book of the Week on Radio 4.

A Broken Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen's Secret Chord

As Leonard Cohen turns 80, a new biography by Liel Leibovitz explores the life, work and passion of the poet-turned-musician. What makes Cohen such an enduring international figure in the cultural imagination?

Granted extraordinary access to Cohen's personal papers, Leibovitz evokes a complicated, sometimes contradictory figure. Born into a Canadian religious Jewish family, for years a reclusive lyricist on the Greek island of Hydra, known for his bold political commentary, his devotion to Buddhist thought and his later despair over contemporary Zionism, Cohen hardly follows the rules of a conventional rock star.

An intimate look at a man who, despite battles with depression and years spent in hermit-like isolation, is still touring and now seems to be reaching a new peak of popularity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0458063

Tomorrow on Radio 4 a repeat of an entertaining play that was first broadcast in 2011.

Burning Both Ends: When Oliver Reed Met Keith Moon
Starring Sean Pertwee as Oliver Reed, and Arthur Darvill as Keith Moon.

Burning Both Ends tells the story of one of the most infamous, unexpected and touching of friendships between two icons of the 1970s, Oliver Reed and Keith Moon.

In the mid-1970s, Oliver was an international movie star, and Keith was a rock n'roll legend, the drummer for rock band, The Who. Both were famous for their partying and boozing, as well as their undeniable talents. Mercurial and unpredictable, both men were at the top of their game - but the top can be a very lonely place.

Then they met, on the film set of The Who's epic rock opera, Tommy. What followed was a revelation - in each other they found a true kindred spirit, their own shadow image.

This is a story of madness and mayhem, antics and adventures, but also of love and loss - the dangerous, dazzling brilliance of two unbridled spirits connecting, but then the huge pain when one of them dies prematurely.

Recounting the electrifying "bruv-affair" between these two iconic figures, Burning Both Ends is the story of two men who found in each other a true friend, and who loved each other as fiercely as they partied...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017x3pl

A couple of Afternoon Dramas on Radio 4 worth a listen...

Strangers In The Night.

By Georgia Fitch

It is 1969 and English actress Carol White is trying to make her name in Hollywood. When she finds herself unexpectedly drawn to Frank Sinatra, their intense friendship leads her on a journey of self-discovery. Will her career as a Hollywood star take off or will love prove the ultimate distraction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0499llf

And a repeat of one from a couple of years ago..

Love Virtually

Starring David Tennant and Emilia Fox.

Love Virtually by Austrian novelist Daniel Glattauer is a thoroughly modern epistolary novel with one difference - its protagonists Emmi Rothner and Leo Leike communicate exclusively by email.

The European answer to You've got Mail.

Two million copies sold in Germany to date. And bought by thirty-five publishers around the world, Love Virtually by Austrian novelist Daniel Glattauer, is well on the way to becoming a global publishing phenomenon.

They "meet" when Emmi mistakenly sends an e-mail to Leo's inbox. A romance ensues that allows them to live out a shared secret life far removed from their day-to-day existences. But to what extent does it rely on fantasy and escapism, and will it survive a real-life meeting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0499n6h

Well worth a listen, caught it on Radio 4 earlier:

Goldie the Alchemist
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045z8wn

Musician and artist Goldie passionately describes his challenging story, from the roots of a broken home to his commercial success and subsequent struggle to come to terms with personal issues and a painful past.
Featuring contributions from Pete Tong, DJ Fabio, Marc Mac, Nihal Arthanayake and Dr Anamik Saha, the programme explores the real character behind Goldie, who produced Timeless, one of the most iconic British albums of the nineties.

Sorry, what was I saying? Did I drop off? Oops, dreadfully sorry, I was listening to a foreign report of some unpleasantness somewhere, although I'm sure there was some balance in my not....

Sorry, what was I saying? Did I drop off? Oops, dreadfully sorry, I was listening to a foreign report of some unpleasantness somewhere, although I'm sure there was some balance in my not....

Back
Top Bottom