Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*wireless watch* > post your radio recommendations here

Props to lizzieloo for finding this:

Ghost Town - Post-Industrial Decline, The People's Songs - BBC Radio 2

Ghost Town was certainly one of the strangest and bleakest number one singles ever. And yet its success was no doubt due to the fact that it chimed perfectly with the times: providing a perfect soundtrack to the riots of 1981 and to Britain's general urban decay. In fact, Jerry Dammers' song seemed almost to be reportage; Dammers himself said he wanted to convey the sense of impending doom that was felt nation-wide. Rock writer Jo Ann Greene said of Ghost Town that the lyrics "only brush on the causes for this apocalyptic vision - the closed down clubs, the numerous fights on the dance floor, the spiralling unemployment, the anger building to explosive levels. But so embedded were these in the British psyche, that Dammers needed only a minimum of words to paint his picture."

Although the single was released on the ground-breaking 2-Tone label, the idealism of racial unity and equality the label (and indeed the band) embodied seemed to be purely a pipe-dream at that point in time. That utopian ideal didn't seem to be widely prevalent in the UK in the early '80s, particularly in places like Brixton, Toxteth or Bristol. The nation did feel doomed. Unemployment was rife. Britain burned and riots were happening all across the country. But the people of Coventry (the Specials' home town) were less than impressed that their home was the inspiration for this huge, but bleak, hit single.

Just caught the last twenty minutes of this afternoon play yesterday, sounded interesting and worth a listen.

The Liberty Cap, Drama - BBC Radio 4

Pete has been suffering from depression for many years but no therapy or medicine has had any lasting benefit. Now he is considering taking part in a clinical trial that is testing a new treatment that uses Psilocybin, the psychoactive chemical found in magic mushrooms.

The Liberty Cap is written by Hattie Naylor (award winning playwright whose many plays include Ivan and the Dogs and The Diary of Samuel Pepys) and made in consultation with Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, a psycho-pharmacologist at Imperial College London, who is conducting research into psychedelic drugs and their potential therapeutic uses.

Just listened to episode 2 of 9 of Tracks on radio 4.
Dark (especially for the time of day) and gripping thriller.
I hadn't heard the first episode but it still made sense.
Will be following to the end. :cool:

Just listened to episode 2 of 9 of Tracks on radio 4.
Dark (especially for the time of day) and gripping thriller.
I hadn't heard the first episode but it still made sense.
Will be following to the end. :cool:
Good isn't it? Was driving when I heard the first one, and by chance caught the second one too, didn't realise it was weekly.

Radio 4, iPlayer, 'Classic Chandler'

Basically the complete set of Marlowe books in audio book form. Really well acted and abridged.

I don't usually like radio drama, but Chandler's style works fucking well - at least I'm loving it, and I've got the attention span of a gnat.

6 days left for episode 1.

Load of Bowie related stuff on the BBC this month: Full BBC Bowie schedule for January - David Bowie Official Blog

"Here follows the dates for your diary, keep reading for more detail regarding each programme.

1 Thursday 5 January-1.00-4.00pm-BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC-Radcliffe and Maconie
2 Saturday 7 January-1.00-3.00pm-BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC-Liz Kershaw
  • 3 Saturday 7 January-9.00pm-10.30pm-BBC TWO-Bowie: The Last Five Years
4 Sunday 8 January-7am -10am-BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC-Mary Anne Hobbs
5 Sunday 8 January-1.00-2.00pm-BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC-Adam Buxton On Bowie
6 Sunday 8 January 4.00-6.00pm BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service
7 Sunday 8 January 6.00-8.00pm BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC Now Playing @6Music
8 Monday 9 January 10.00-11.00pm BBC RADIO 2 Exploring Life On Mars?
9 Tuesday 10 January 7.00-9.00pm BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC Marc Riley
10 Friday 13 January 7.00-9.00pm BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC Iggy Pop
  • 11 Friday 13 January 10.00-11.00pm BBC Four Bowie At The BBC"

indented stuff is on't'telly

Back
Top Bottom