Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will I die #2685 (out of date Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry)

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
OH bought home some out of date bottles, now normally I would say this doesn't go off and I could drink it with impunity but it looks a bit odd. Also is it supposed to smell of burnt sugar?

Yeah ugh no poured some out into a glass and it looked like mud - separated with loads of sediment floating in it, probably not worth the risk. What a waste. :(

One bottle (the one we tried) was open and is clearly fucked having poured some out.

The other bottle is still sealed so might be ok.

I actually love good sherry, this is Harvey's Bristol Cream though (but don't look a gift horse in the mouth)

That one was clearly off and has been chucked. Have another unopened bottle which I don't quite have the courage to try right now. Also a 1.5 litre bottle of Martini Rosso vermouth which is perfectly ok (well not gone off at least. whether it is ok is a different matter - recommend some cocktails to use it in!) This year giveth and it taketh away.

You may rue the day you chucked it if we end up back in lockdown... (Saying that, Martini Rosso <shudder>).

Last edited:
BTW even though I love GOOD sherry, I tipped the out of date manky sherry down the loo and now every time I go in the bathroom I am reminded of my granny's funeral party :eek:
I'm not sure I should ask, but why does going to the bathroom remind you of granny's funeral party? What happened?

Sherry is foul though, so rather you than me.
I used time think that till I lived in Jerez and discovered the wide variety of sherry. From very light dry to dark sweet there's something for everyone.

port, now :thumbs:
Another drink I thought was shit till I lived in Porto and discovered how good a good one can be.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd draw the line at drinking Harvey's but martini - that'd take me straight back to my teens when we used to buy that or vodka or special brew and get pissed in the park. I'd be curious to see how it tastes after all these years - we used to drink it neat so probably not very nice. :(

I used time think that till I lived in Jerez and discovered the wide variety of sherry. From very light dry to dark sweet there's something for everyone.

Another drink I thought was shit till I lived in Porto and discovered how good a good one can be.

Me too, until I went to that amazing sherry bar in Malaga where they chalk your tab on the bar in front of you.

Yeah, I'd draw the line at drinking Harvey's but martini - that'd take me straight back to my teens when we used to buy that or vodka or special brew and get pissed in the park. I'd be curious to see how it tastes after all these years - we used to drink it neat so probably not very nice. :(
Vermouth is another underrated drink nowadays. There's a lot of different ones with different flavours. But not too good drunk on their own.

Do love a nice lbv - even with the supermarkets' own brand ones I've never had a bad bottle.

I actually got a kit that supposedly brews (not distills) close to 20% alcohol sloe gin. I've been meaning to try it for ages but it looks a bit complicated with temperature controls and things for a rayburn :( .

I actually got a kit that supposedly brews (not distills) close to 20% alcohol sloe gin. I've been meaning to try it for ages but it looks a bit complicated with temperature controls and things for a rayburn :( .
When you say close to 20% do you mean 15% close or 25% close?

Back
Top Bottom