Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

The reason for said redunacies is a so called five year plan.the ABCs are showing that month on month year on year ,papers are losing circulation ,so how long can papers like the indie and graun etc survive

That'd do as well ;), but yes, round about the shortest day of the year is idealmost ...

<Lazily waits for campaigners for more Bank Holidays, distributed evenly across the most Bank Holiday-devoid periods of the year, to get going!!!! :mad: ;)

Minimum of 4 extra BH's is my armchair demand .... we're in the EU after all ;) >

When it came to Christmas, as atheists we always knew that feasting and getting presents was fun too, which justified in some way our enthusiasm for the season.

This year, I'm celebrating Christmas with my in-laws. They are Christian (they're old, you see). I wasn't in the least anxious as to how it would be, but it turned out their Christmas is no different to the atheist version of it I've always known, except they watch the fucking Queen. I go off and find batteries or something at that point. It works out well for everyone.

In other news, I've just found out Jews don't have tails.

In Guardian related non-news, there's a shedload of trivial gossipy shite in the G at the moment, even more than usual :rolleyes:

Along with some sensible-to-good coverage about stuff like the recent Hillsborough decision from the High Court.

And then far too much tedious shit about Andrew Mitchell and 'plebgate'.

And other shit that's a pain, and then other stuff -- sometimes quite well written even!! -- that's not bad at all.

Weird how 'quality' mainstream newspapapers are overall a bit mixed in quality isn't it ? ;)

(I can even find good articles in the Telegraph sometimes :p )

I wasn't in the least anxious as to how it would be, but it turned out their Christmas is no different to the atheist version of it I've always known, except they watch the fucking Queen. I go off and find batteries or something at that point. It works out well for everyone.

I feel sorry for you, about the Queen thing.

Full headline is:

UK’s Observer adds “kill Jews” to Hamas leader Khaled Meshal’s Gaza speech when he did not say it.

Seems fair enough to me.
That surprises me - you're usually quite tough on journalist bending the truth to improve their story.

I think using "adds" instead of "mistranslates" is clearly misleading, even without the failure to point out that the mistranslation 'addition' occurred three times not just once (how odd, not to mention that, eh?).

There was no phrase added. There was one word mistranslated three times. That's bad journalism and it is a story. There's no need for eI to stoop to the same level by using a headline which implies that they did much worse.

For reference, the text which was supposedly added to:

We don’t kill Jews because they are Jews. We kill the Zionists because they are conquerors and we will continue to kill anyone who takes our land and our holy places … We will free Jerusalem inch by inch, stone by stone.

and the correct translation:

We do not fight the Jews because they are Jews. We fight the Zionist occupiers and aggressors. And we will fight anyone who tries to occupy our lands or attacks us. We fight those who fight us, who attack us, who besiege us, who attack our holy places and our land.

The other words that didn't make it through to translation are at least as interesting as the fight/kill mistranslation but they barely get a mention.

Not really "way OTT" considering how bad a distortion this was.
How bad is the distortion? How similar are the Arabic terms which the translator confused for each other? Is there a meaningful distinction between fight and kill when referring to war between two countries?

I think it's a much more serious distortion to state that the words "kill Jews" were added rather than the word "fight" mistranslated as "kill" three times.

Mind you, if you had to pick a likely candidate for writing something like that Monbiot would be probably the safest choice.

Back
Top Bottom