Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

He's changed the opening hasn't he? I'm sure it said something like "yesterday was icy -icy like when...".The article history says it's been changed this morning.

He's changed the opening hasn't he? I'm sure it said something like "yesterday was icy -icy like when...".The article history says it's been changed this morning.

It originally said in the pre-article intro, under the headline, 'Boxing Day 2011' and now its changed to 'a winters day some years back'. It would not surprise me if a Guardian editor originally jazzed it up with boxing day and then had to change it as it was incompatible with the first sentence of the actual story.

The version on his own website has one extra fucking, and an initial reference to his coat being lost at a protest camp years before.

It also has a different title on his website:

The Brindled Hounds

“A sad tale’s best for winter: I have one / Of sprites and goblins.”

I reckon there might be some internet evidence of Lord Monbiot being elsewhere that (originally) fateful boxing day. Thing's got lazy made up BS written all over it.

the miracle of the returning jacket does strain credibility although he might have spoken to a traveller after going off his ride like a chump

I reckon there might be some internet evidence of Lord Monbiot being elsewhere that (originally) fateful boxing day. Thing's got lazy made up BS written all over it.

Either that or my simpler explanation of inconsistency between the sub headline and the start of the piece. Although it may have been Monbiot himself who made the initial mistake rather than an editor as I suggested, I dont know.

I finally found a page that had scraped just enough of the original article to demonstrate how poorly the original sentences meshed:

Boxing Day, 2011: a fall on the ice lands me in A&E – and that's when I meet the man with tattoos on his neck and knuckles …

It was at about this time of year, and the roads were icy. My bike slipped from under me and I rolled on to the pavement. I thought at first I was unharmed, but when I...
http://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/World/74rki664a/The-day-my-inner-anarchist-lost-out-to.htm

ie boxing day was at 'about this time of year'? No shit.

It's early for New Year's resolutions, but this one might take a while to get used to: for 2013 we have it as a civic duty to cheer up. Cheer up significantly; infuse debate with optimism and pride. This is unfamiliar territory for any lefty, "onwards, upwards" being more of a free-market mantra.

how do you reckon your unharmed and the next minute find your unable to walk ? If your ankles fucked it really hurts a lot
Shock? Sometimes it's taken half an hour for the pain to override the adrenaline before realising that the injury was worse than just a bit of a bruise. And I've got quite a low pain threshold.

Shock? Sometimes it's taken half an hour for the pain to override the adrenaline before realising that the injury was worse than just a bit of a bruise. And I've got quite a low pain threshold.

so while shocked and later in great pain the very first thing we think of doing is walking up to dodgy looking skangers and striking up jovial converstaions with them ?

jimmy-hill-220x300.jpg

yer, I'd go with that. Last time I came off the ride I twisted to fall on my bony hip and it took half hour before I realised I was hurt bad

so while shocked and later in great pain the very first thing we think of doing is walking up to dodgy looking skangers and striking up jovial converstaions with them ?<snip>
No, or at least I wouldn't, but I'd be wary of putting myself at risk while already in no fit state. Monbiot's a different class from me, is neither short nor female, and therefore wouldn't necessarily perceive risk in the same way.

No, or at least I wouldn't, but I'd be wary of putting myself at risk while already in no fit state. Monbiot's a different class from me, is neither short nor female, and therefore wouldn't necessarily perceive risk in the same way.

the average sized and aged white male is most likely to be perceived as either a threat or challenge by your average white thug , target of choice more often than not .

I wouldn't talk to many other people in A&E because
  • I'm usually concentrating on not throwing up when I'm there (I'll be there due to an acute flare-up of my condition)
  • I'm in a lot of pain
  • I can't think straight, let along have a conversation
  • Everyone else is in pain and not wanting a conversation with a stranger
Monbiot's an unthinking, insensitive tool.

[re the Zoe Williams thing quoted rom just above]thats a five pint rant if ever I read one

Never know what's going to piss off anti-Guardianistas on this thread the most! :confused: :D

I don't actually think ZW was that bad today -- the end paragraph quoted was the worst of it, some of the preceding stuff (contradicting Tory myths) not nearly so bad IMO.

As 5 pint rants go, I've seen worse -- including from myself :p -- and better.

There used to be a bunch of them hanging around in the Elephant & Castle subways. Pathetic thing was that most of them were obvious Tarquins who only got the bottle to be aggressive from being permanently cunted on cider and special. About as hard when they weren't in a gang as a fresh dog-turd.

May have encountered that same bunch there myself (?) but not that often. Those subways attracted all sorts of street drinker a few years back.

It's all very different round here in Swansea anyway.

What was Monbiot's motivation beyond "wanting a conversation", though? I get the feeling he was probably looking for something he could turn into an article or an anecdote, rather than primarily wanting human interaction.

Yes fair point, agreeing with that I think. Perhaps it's that which most undermines the accuracy/believability. A well edited anecdote if you like. Some truth, some embellished, plenty left out. Like plenty of 'personal experience' articles from op-ed columnists.

Monbiot gets 62K pre-tax for the Guardian columns and blogs.

I have two live contracts.

One is with the Guardian, to supply columns, blog posts and other material, from 1st February 2012 until 31st January 2013, for which I am paid an annual fee of £62,007.

The other is with Penguin, to write a book about rewilding, for which I will be paid £40,000, for work across 3-4 years.

I have one other regular source of income: the rent paid by my lodgers, which currently amounts to £6,000 a year.
http://www.monbiot.com/registry-of-interests/

On average he writes about once a fortnight, call it once a week. That piece of tripe collectively set Guardian purchasers back £1,000 on the most modest of calculations.

It's much closer to weekly that his column has appeared in the printed edition this year.

Stupidly overpaid whatever, though. And I don't even hate his stuff ... well not all of it :D

I have two live contracts.

One is with the Guardian, to supply columns, blog posts and other material, from 1st February 2012 until 31st January 2013, for which I am paid an annual fee of £62,007.

annual fee, to avoid PAYE perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom