Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Or, according to wikipedia, humans. I think we've got one or two believers in this stuff on some of the u75 energy threads, although they'd usually rather shout doom than get into the gory details. I doubt Monbiot belongs to this category, as he started promoting Nuclear power after Fukushima made him dream that the coal goblins were at the end of the bed, nibbling at his toes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewilding_(anarchism)

Rewilding is about overcoming human domestication and returning to behavior inherent in human wildness. Though often associated with primitive skills and learning knowledge of wild plants and animals, it emphasizes the development of the senses and fostering deepening personal relationships with members of other species and the natural world.[citation needed] Rewilding intends to create permanently wild human cultures beyond domestication.[2]
Rewilding is considered a holistic approach to living, as opposed to skills, practices or a specific set of knowledge
Insert sheep shagging joke here ;)

Probably.

And lodgers? really? He's not charging them very much by the sounds of things. Plus wtf is 'rewilding' and how do I get an advance of £40k to write about it?

his pompous register isnt very clear, but i make his income at around 80k a year, yet he says his net income is around £43k

so he's running up 37k a year expenses to write one shit column a week and spend four years writing a book :hmm:

also seems to clarify that his guardian payment is a fee and he is responsible for paying his own tax

Or, according to wikipedia, humans. I think we've got one or two believers in this stuff on some of the u75 energy threads, although they'd usually rather shout doom than get into the gory details. I doubt Monbiot belongs to this category, as he started promoting Nuclear power after Fukushima made him dream that the coal goblins were at the end of the bed, nibbling at his toes.
lolwut.

No dont. Its urban 75. "Physics" for political science types.

Why's Monbiot dreaming about coal goblins? We should be building more coal-fired power stations, not gas. The coal goblins aren't anything to be afraid of.

Sadly I dont think he ever mentioned coal goblins himself, that was just me trying to avoid what would otherwise be a tedious repeat-rant by myself about a disgraceful article he wrote about nuclear power after Fukushima went melty melty boom boom.

Sadly I dont think he ever mentioned coal goblins himself, that was just me trying to avoid what would otherwise be a tedious repeat-rant by myself about a disgraceful article he wrote about nuclear power after Fukushima went melty melty boom boom.
That's a shame, I'd think better of him if he had.

Melty melty boom boom :D is that a technical term?

A more technically precise sequence of events was:

Melty, leaky, boom, hiss, remelty. (reactor 1)
Melty, leaky, boom, hiss. (reactor 3)
Melty, leaky, hiss, whoosh very leaky indeed (reactor 2)
Boom, fire, fire (reactor 4 building)
Plop, plop, dribble, dribble, gush, oh dear (ocean contamination)

The above is somewhat incomplete pending future data from crap robots we havent got yet. In the meantime will have to make do with the above and a suggestion from one TEPCO shareholder that management should 'go inside the reactor and die'. Or the fall from grace of the regulators spokesman who had to step down after press articles of an affair at work where he eschewed vigorous sex for fear of his wig being displaced.

Wheres my £62k? Or my free apron from The Radical Tea Towel company? Or a pub lunch courtesy of the forestry commission?

Although to be honest I quite like his registry of interests, because I am nosey about how much people get paid in things like speaking fees and royalties.

a dilemma for ellie and the ukuncut liberals perhaps

UK Uncut also use tax-dodging Amazon http://by-strategy.tumblr.com/post/38008160316/boycotting-amazon-is-boycotting-ukuncut-or-why-a

UK Uncut's demands 'companies should pay their corporation tax' are - like it or not - remote from those they claim to represent, so they are unable to mobilise widely and have to rely on a section of hyper-super-"peaceful" activists like Ellie Mae O Hagan et al. More generally, a large part of its leadership (controlling website, leaflets, actions etc) are Labour through and through so Labour councils (often mostly working class areas) are not targeted. They also hold off any attempt to organise within the service sector, away from established USDAW UNITE unions - hence it's all about the activists.

A question in all seriousness:- Is there a large-ish single firm in Britain that doesn't either price fix (utilities, supermarkets, LIBOR etc) or evade taxation in some form? Can UK Uncut's demands possibly be imposed by external activists occupying centre-piece central London branches of these firms?

UK Uncut also use tax-dodging Amazon http://by-strategy.tumblr.com/post/38008160316/boycotting-amazon-is-boycotting-ukuncut-or-why-a

UK Uncut's demands 'companies should pay their corporation tax' are - like it or not - remote from those they claim to represent, so they are unable to mobilise widely and have to rely on a section of hyper-super-"peaceful" activists like Ellie Mae O Hagan et al. More generally, a large part of its leadership (controlling website, leaflets, actions etc) are Labour through and through so Labour councils (often mostly working class areas) are not targeted. They also hold off any attempt to organise within the service sector, away from established USDAW UNITE unions - hence it's all about the activists.

A question in all seriousness:- Is there a large-ish single firm in Britain that doesn't either price fix (utilities, supermarkets, LIBOR etc) or evade taxation in some form? Can UK Uncut's demands possibly be imposed by external activists occupying centre-piece central London branches of these firms?

I don't disagree with any of this, except to say in fairness they have been active with Disabled People Against Cuts as well so there are other dimensions to them outside of the pay your taxes famous five stuff

Blimey this thread continues.

In the near time frame - five to ten years - the Graun will cease to exist, on paper. Nobody wanting a range of material buys the morning star or the swappy thing or anything else. Hair shirt for breakfast? It's not appetising is it?

The last profitable papers are the Telegraph and the Mail.

Halle-fucking-luja.

Cheer on the death of the Guardian!

Blimey this thread continues.

In the near time frame - five to ten years - the Graun will cease to exist, on paper. Nobody wanting a range of material buys the morning star or the swappy thing or anything else. Hair shirt for breakfast? It's not appetising is it?

The last profitable papers are the Telegraph and the Mail.

Halle-fucking-luja.

Cheer on the death of the Guardian!

I don't understand what you are saying.

I think he's saying; well if it's as bad as everyone on here is saying, it's a good job that it'll fold sooner rather than later.

OK. I disagree with paolo, the constituency and political ideology it projects - liberalism - means inevitably 'The Guardian' will emerge under different headings with different titles - after any restructuring. It will absorb or be absorbed, but it won't end stone dead.

OK. I disagree with paolo, the constituency and political ideology it projects - liberalism - means inevitably 'The Guardian' will emerge under different headings with different titles - after any restructuring. It will absorb or be absorbed, but it won't end stone dead.
But you agree that it'll go from its current form and you're happy with that?

But you agree that it'll go from its current form and you're happy with that?

It changed form in 1974 I think after a strike, it also changed form in the mid-2000s to become Berliner size. It always changes forms - it's not really an emotional event for me. Was I happy/unhappy when the Evening Standard became a free paper? Not really.

It changed form in 1974 I think after a strike, it also changed form in the mid-2000s to become Berliner size. It always changes forms - it's not really an emotional event for me. Was I happy/unhappy when the Evening Standard became a free paper? Not really.
For me it's more of an emotional event when papers close, loss of jobs etc.

Even if it doesnt exist on paper anymore people will still be able to moan if it exists on the net, where it seems to be quite widely read.

For me it's more of an emotional event when papers close, loss of jobs etc.
You're mixing up separate things, I don't know why.

The Guardian isn't closing. Its management does, however, want to increase surplus by sacking journalists and others, weakening T+Cs in general, maintaining high rates for advertising and purchases, expanding even more into books, travel and events. It's threatening its workforce right now on the basis of lies.

You're mixing up separate things, I don't know why.

The Guardian isn't closing. Its management does, however, want to increase surplus by sacking journalists and others, weakening T+Cs in general, maintaining high rates for advertising and purchases, expanding even more into books, travel and events. It's threatening its workforce right now on the basis of lies.
I'm not mixing them up - it was a related but separate comment in the context of what Paolo also had said.

Even on-line form will result in loss of jobs, and I do feel strongly about that.

I'm also probably feeling a bit emotional about it at the moment because an old friend of mine from the (original days) of the print at Wapping died just before Christmas. I'm not looking for an argument, I was just observing.

Workforce threats worth a thread of it's own - start one now I'd suggest. There's good people here, including our very brilliant cesare. Can all be anonymous.

Back
Top Bottom