Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

William of Walworth said:
Yeah, I know. Fair point -- I like some Telegraph content myself (mostly sport ;) ).

But, etc.

sihhi said:
etc... what?

I do take the implication of that question.

Telegraph and Guardian are both very mainstream in media terms obviously. Not sure if any of my earlier posts contradict that however.

Purely IMO, I find far, far lower levels of insanely annoying content in the G than in the T.

And (like you maybe?) I'm capable of finding worthwhile content in both the Guardian and Telegraph.

For me personally, Guardian's better, but call that habit from roughly 35 years ago onwards ... as well as to do with me being neither a Tory nor a fanatically Europhobic nutter. Or a climate change denier .... etc etc etc ;)

Most people posting on this thread though, seem to start from complete resistance to there being anything even slightly tolerable in the Guardian at all, ever. Hence their dishonestly selective hunting for the worst bits possible. Throughout this thread, from beginning to end, more or less.

See my posts previous page.

For me personally, Guardian's better, but call that habit from roughly 35 years ago onwards ... as well as to do with me being neither a Tory nor a fanatically Europhobic nutter. Or a climate change denier

<The Telegraph is not wholly Tory and nor is it wholly Europhobic and it certainly isn't in favour of climate change. You'll have to do better. I'm not sure how you can make such a dishonest summary of the Telegraph>

Remember you're the one accusing those who post on 'Why the Guardian is going down the pan!' for being dishonest. You're the one trying it on.

thing is the torygraph doesnt go on about how left wing and progressive it is, it doesnt try and position itself as a voice of radicalism

the guardian does while allowing shit that is even more right wing than the torygraph

thing is the torygraph doesnt go on about how left wing and progressive it is, it doesnt try and position itself as a voice of radicalism

the guardian does while allowing shit that is even more right wing than the torygraph

Bit I've bolded : open to dispute in the detail, but CBA to argue the point today.

Can we put Observer stuff in this thread?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/06/jim-davidson-arrest-standup-comedy

Yet, today, I am genuinely sad that Davidson has lost his chance to return to TV in Celebrity Big Brother, after being arrested at Heathrow airport on the eve of filming.
In passing: what exactly is the remit of "Operation Yewtree"? It was set up to deal with allegations against Jimmy Savile. Then they started arresting other famous people, not all of whom even knew Savile but we assumed (in some cases, wrongly) that they were accused of similar things. Now it's Jim Davidson, with allegations from 25 years ago that the police say are "not directly linked to Savile" and apparently involve complainants who were in their mid-20s at the time of the alleged events.
So: no Savile and no child abuse. Why is Operation Yewtree in charge, then? Who are they, the Celebrity Crime Unit?
And why did they arrest him at Heathrow airport? He's not a jewel thief on the run across international borders. OK: he was about to do a series on Channel 5, which may be an even more effective way of disappearing completely. But he would have been evicted very soon. Couldn't the police have gone quietly to his house?
By the definition that is vital to our justice system and way of life, Jim Davidson – not charged with anything, let alone found guilty – is an innocent man, who was not expecting to be arrested. Why the dramatic swoop at a crowded airport, in front of hundreds of people? That would be cruel and humiliating if he were an accountant, never mind a well-known entertainer. Much loved? No. Very recognisable? Yes.
So far, Operation Yewtree seems to have arrested (without charge) a lot of people who are well-known but not much loved. The first door they knocked on belonged to Gary Glitter. We have yet to see them arrest a cool, respected rock star. I suppose this must mean that, 25 years ago, no cool rock stars ever went near a minor.
We might all ask questions about the precise agenda at Operation Yewtree. The biggest question might be: are similar resources, energy and urgency being directed into investigating abuse that's happening in care homes today?

Fuck off.

Our era's spirit of disapproval has triggered a widespread blandness and terror of challenging consensus, in everything from mainstream political discourse to the ordinary workplace, which makes the comedian or jester's traditional duty to shock and shake up more vital than ever. Haranguing them for shocking in the wrong way might be a luxury we can't afford.
I think I wanted to see Jim Davidson on TV again because I miss the certainty of really knowing which side to be on. The comics of the 80s never called for the old guard to be silenced; they just wanted noisily to disagree. It was fun.

Fuck off.

Can we put Observer stuff in this thread?

I'd say yes**, and that article you posted was truly a pile of shite (saw it earlier and gagged).

**So long as it really is clear when it is from the Observer (looks :hmm:-ingly at one or two previous linkers in this thread ;) ).

The Observer (IMO) has for a long time been conspicuously and consistently worse, with far far less in the way of even halfway reasonable stuff, than the Graun itself.

Significant, and not in a good way, that those two are by Michael White (lazy, formulaic politics hack, long overdue for retirement -- first one) and Patrick Wintour (Guardian's biggest and most nauseating Lib Dem fanboi -- second one).

The Observer (IMO) has for a long time been conspicuously and consistently worse, with far far less in the way of even halfway reasonable stuff, than the Graun itself.

Frinstance, how about this truly terrible review of 'Bang! A History of Britain in the Eighties' here

It's awful from start to finish. Book looks as if it's a Thatcherite hagiography (hadn't up to the other day heard anything about it), but it's even hard to be 100% sure of exactly how Thatcherite, given how fawning and utterly uncritical Ian Thomson's review is.

I'm not sure how significant it is - they're a Liberal paper, always have been.

I know, but Wintour is about the worst of anyone there, at spinning for the LDs. Editorials and op-ed pieces are one thing, it's that much worse when that kind of spin is thinly disguised as political reporting.

Actually that's one of my bigger criticisms of the Guardian generally.

Limp Dum it may be, but 'fluffing' pieces for UKIP, like this one, are certainly doing 'good work' for Labour:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/07/nigel-farage-party-eccentrics-ukip

" ...if you want to know what our political future might look like, Ukip's party leader is becoming harder to ignore."

"Farage turns out to be one of the most surprising politicians I have met – charismatic, funny, indefatigably good-natured and essentially cheerful"

"When he tells me he has no personal ambition for high office, and cares only about seeing Ukip policy implemented, I believe him."

Note also, the Telegraph and the Mail both running prominent stories attacking him yesterday to try and shore up the tory right. Playing right into his/their hands by doing that.

Limp Dum it may be, but 'fluffing' pieces for UKIP, like this one, are certainly doing 'good work' for Labour:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/07/nigel-farage-party-eccentrics-ukip

She's normally an OK interviewer is Aitkenhead (IMO), tends to aim at inducing people into being more revealing than they want to be and sometimes that's worked. But yes I had my doubts about that one!

Not sure she was deliberately 'fluffing' UKIP -- I'm sure she'd deny it -- but it came uncomfortably close to it in places ...

Back
Top Bottom