Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

What is this bit doing at the bottom of a piece about the attempted assassination of the Bulgarian politician?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/19/bulgaria-gas-pistol-politican

Having joined the European Union in 1997, Bulgarian citizens can move to the UK for work after temporary limits expire at the end of this year. Any Bulgarian who has been working legally as an employee in the UK for 12 months without a break will have full rights of free movement.

The reason I keep getting stuck in, time waste though it is to persist, is probably because I actually read the fucking thing, one of the very few on this thread to do so (as opposed to selectively picking the very worst Guardian bits and only them, from the website).

I appreciate I make myself unpopular on this thread.

I also think the level of contempt I get for being a tad more balanced about a paper that really isn't as bad in reality as made out, is unjustified.
No probs with the abuse, I expect little else on this particular thread, but I'm still right about the dishonesty point (>>#1647 and others).
It's not dishonesty - it's spin.

they're now spamming me on youtube saying thaT WHEN the guardian announce something it won't be an obnoxious marketing gimmick

err yes it will. just fuck off.

It's a thread about the decline of the Guardian.

Yes I do appreciate that, and that's one of killerb's main points as well.

It's faced with a profit squeeze - and a potential NUJ fightback hence it's articles are tending towards a soppy 'Pity the poor immigrant disabled benefit claimant'.

The way you word that is unreasonably harsh (IMO) on some of the BETTER critical articles in the G about claimant-related policy. And actually somewhat dubiously worded come to think of it!

It's trying to propagandise against the NUJ (see Media columns) in favour of responsible anticuts sentiment (actually procuts sentiment hence bigging up Ed Miliband again now that the Lib Dems are collapsing)

Wouldn't defend any Guardian articles that are specifically anti-union or that favour/defend cuts. I've criticised such things in it myself, and in this very thread too on occasion ...

Seumas Milne is an exception to the overall liberalist but he's been affected by being a star columnist too long - hence the automatic trend to ally with whatever Michael Moore and Ken Loach were saying about Assange, plus maybe.

I missed the Assange stuff from him, I'll take yours and ymu's word for it that what he wrote was out of order there. No single writer is ever fault free, even the better ones will produce pisspoor stuff sometimes. If I find and read that particular material, I'll most likely agree with you.

Again you're accusing people of dishonesty and saying the Guardian is not as bad as it is on this thread. It's a grossly meaningless statement, rather like a Mail reader saying: 'If you actually read the Mail most of it is about property, cooking, celebrities and holidays and travel - it's not as bad people make out only a handful of news articles actually blame poor people'.

Not a valid comparison. Even the Mail contains the odd good article I accept, it's well resourced editorially compared to most other newspapers so it'd be surprising if it didn't.

But to imply (as you were?) that the Mail's dominant aganda is scarcely distinguishable from the Guardian's is debatable to say the very least. Is the Guardian's dominant agenda to demonise claimants and foreigners? Is the Guardian out and out Tory? It's not nearly as left as I'd like and never has been, but it's not into hate-sensationalism.

On the dishonesty thing. I accept I'm hardly popular on this thread for defending aspects of the Guardian at times, but Maggot's right -- this is a thread designed to make out, on the basis of highly selective anti-Guardian spin from most contributors here, spin that the paper is 100% shite and nothing but, and always has been. It's not declining in most peoples' opinion on this thread, it's always been complete rubbish, which is hardly an honest assessment of a paper that contains its fair share of shite (which I've never defended) but also has a pretty reasonable share of good investigation and exposes and information and coverage of important issues.

I'm old enough to still retain the habit of buying a printed paper most days -- I'm banned from non work related net access in my job and need something to read at lunchtime, on the bus, in the pub. As much for sports news as other news tbh. IMO out of a pretty poor mainstream bunch the Guardian's better (or less bad) than most, I go no further.

Read my post above and identify my problem, precisely? I'm trying to be fairminded in the post just above yours.

Are you doing the same, in gratuitously chucking an irrelevant personal attack on me, into an entirely separate thread?**

How about other peoples' problem in this thread -- near-obsessive hatred of the Guardian to the point that it's been made out by some to be ridiculously appalling compared to the fairly mainstream reality of it?

**(I don't yet get the tagging thing properly btw, so I only found that post by chance)

stop whining and explain why you called everyone on the thread a liar you hippie cunt.

Just answered you, as well as sihhi, you quality ale drinking Northerner! ;)

I've been lied about myself, incidentally .... often enough I've been charged with accusations of uncritical worship of a paper that at times I've found a complete PITA myself ... and I've posted links/examples of why!

I don't understand why you post on this thread, attempting to defend the Guardian. Sure, there's the odd good artical in there. But this thread exists for peple to vent a bit of splean about the out of touch, liberal, faux radical politiccing and general knorsiating media wank, the Guardian so often plays hoste to. I presume there's no Daily Mail going down the pan thread is because it doesn't pretend to have any progressive politics. It doesn't make pretenses to stand on the same ground as real, non Oxbridge educated meeja circus denizens, grass routes activitsts.

Read my post above and identify my problem, precisely? I'm trying to be fairminded in the post just above yours.

Are you doing the same, in gratuitously chucking an irrelevant personal attack on me, into an entirely separate thread?**

How about other peoples' problem in this thread -- near-obsessive hatred of the Guardian to the point that it's been made out by some to be ridiculously appalling compared to the fairly mainstream reality of it?

**(I don't yet get the tagging thing properly btw, so I only found that post by chance)
Well, I'm sorry you haven't worked out tagging yet but you get a get a bloody huge red alert telling you and a link to follow so there's fuck all to work out. I made an effort to be courteous to you by tagging you so that you would be aware. It is not cross-thread beef, it's the equivalent of accusing someone of being firky. You have been like this since before ern started bullying you for it. Something I stood by you on when it was happening, you precious cunt.

So fuck you and your hysterical accusations. "Near-obsessive hatred", for fuck's sake. They're just the other side of the Mail coin. The permissible dissent that squeezes out real dissent. That doesn't mean it is somehow wrong to read that newspaper, or a reflection on your character that you do. The only thing that is reflecting badly on you is your most definitely obsessive need to defend your choice of paper in these ridiculous terms.

I think you're judging my posting habits on your impression of them from circa 2007 (?) rather than anything accurately up to date.

Read my recent posts on this thread please. I'm not being as unreasonable, right now, as you claim.

I don't understand why you post on this thread, attempting to defend the Guardian. Sure, there's the odd good artical in there. But this thread exists for peple to vent a bit of splean about the out of touch, liberal, faux radical politiccing and general knorsiating media wank, the Guardian so often plays hoste to. I presume there's no Daily Mail going down the pan thread is because it doesn't pretend to have any progressive politics. It doesn't make pretenses to stand on the same ground as real, non Oxbridge educated meeja circus denizens, grass routes activitsts.

Fair points really. The only qualification I'd add is that I don't defend it uncritically.

If you need to know why I still waste my time replying on this thread, well I'm not sure tbh!

But here's a go : I read the thing, perhaps more thoroughly than most on Urban, and I end up with a more balanced, dare I say objective, view of both its faults and its positives than most because of that. After more than 30 years of the Guardian habit I have to confess! :oops:

The other main reason I tend to defend its better aspects is because of the scarily reactionary default politics I'm surrounded by at work. Earlier posts from me further back on this thread on that one, but slamming the Guardian's politics ... well I've done that more than once on here myself, but it still seems like a bit of a self indulgent luxury when I have to put up with kneejerk Failisms most days from a fair few.

You have the self awareness of an acorn.

And your assessment of me is wildly, and negatively, exaggerated. Not to mention wildly out of date.

How about addressing what I've actually posted about the Guardian today, perhaps? I don't expect you to agree but you're smart enough to post something on topic. Give it a go, please. It's not like you at any time to be so abusive.

I read the Guardian too William. It's the tab most likely to be up there after Urban. Usually both. I read it less now I'm on Twitter, because that gives me an index of the best stuff from all the papers, but the kind of people I follow lead me to the best the Guardian has to offer.

And I can see what is wrong with it. You're not even sure what was wrong with the Assange article. For fuck's sake. Has it never occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, you're a recovering liberal who was not quite as left-wing as he thought before he joined urban and got exposed to the less permissible dissent?

On the dishonesty thing. I accept I'm hardly popular on this thread for defending aspects of the Guardian at times, but Maggot's right -- this is a thread designed to make out, on the basis of highly selective anti-Guardian spin from most contributors here, spin that the paper is 100% shite and nothing but, and always has been. It's not declining in most peoples' opinion on this thread, it's always been complete rubbish, which is hardly an honest assessment of a paper that contains its fair share of shite (which I've never defended) but also has a pretty reasonable share of good investigation and exposes and information and coverage of important issues.
Absolute crap, this thread was originally started to show that since the coalition government the Guardian had shifted somewhat. That there had been (and still are) a load of puff pieces, commentary and editorials supporting the LibDems and backing the coalition.

The Guardian may have always been liberal but there was a definite change in emphasis around 2010. With Glover leaving you could argue that the paper has shifted back (to some degree) but there was something of a change and it was/is worth keeping an eye on.

As for the stuff about the Mail etc, well quite frankly it's pathetic. The type of shit that articul8 and the other Labour fools come out with to get people to back their party. Ultimately the Mail and the Guardian are on the same side just like the Tories and Labour.

ETA: That's not to say that this thread hasn't also been used for general piss-taking/bitching as well.

Reactions: ymu
ymu : Thanks for that post. I still need to read that Assange article. Will find time to look for it soon promise. I did the opposite of claiming there was nothing wrong with it, though, and I'd be surprised if I end up disagreeing with you and sihhi about it like i said.

I'd find it hard to claim that I was anything more than somewhere between well left of Labour and very left of it politically. As for liberalism, I'll leave that for another time ... Suffice it to say that my recovery, if I ever had to have one, is fairly robustly healthy I hope ...

Redsquirrel : more later etc, got to retire pretty soon.

Reactions: ymu
:facepalm:

:D

All appearances to the contrary, I do love you William. I just think you need to step back a bit and stop seeing this as an attack on your psyche. Check these links out and see if you can work out what we're all banging on about. Unless you leap to the defence of every Lib Dem voter who intends to do so again, you cannot sustain your stance on this.

You still post articles from the Guardian in an attempt to prove a. the Guardian is a maintaining high standards and is a friend of the people.

The way you word that is unreasonably harsh (IMO) on some of the BETTER critical articles in the G about claimant-related policy. And actually somewhat dubiously worded come to think of it!

But it's not unreasonably harsh on the overall output of all its articles relating to the welfare state.

Wouldn't defend any Guardian articles that are specifically anti-union or that favour/defend cuts. I've criticised such things in it myself, and in this very thread too on occasion ...

My point is articles in the Guardian defending cuts are more evident in this recession 2008 onwards compared to the Major recession in the early 1990s or the first term cuts from Thatcher.

On Assange/Milne what is your point?

Not a valid comparison. Even the Mail contains the odd good article I accept, it's well resourced editorially compared to most other newspapers so it'd be surprising if it didn't.

What does well resourced editorially mean? It has well paid editors?

But to imply (as you were?) that the Mail's dominant aganda is scarcely distinguishable from the Guardian's is debatable to say the very least. Is the Guardian's dominant agenda to demonise claimants and foreigners? Is the Guardian out and out Tory? It's not nearly as left as I'd like and never has been, but it's not into hate-sensationalism.

It has been heavily into 'hate sensationalism' in the past - any brief glance at its editorials during the miners' strike, Wapping or the P&O strike shows this - the weakened labour response has reduced the need for this kind of hate.

Instead we get this kind of editorial 'hate' at the height of the Paulsgrove protests in 2000:

"One of the lessons learned fast by the plotters in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is that a mob, once aroused, will not easily be stood down: it cannot be switched on and off. The organisers of the protests in the Portsmouth estate of Paulsgrove will know by now if that rule still holds. Yesterday they asked the crowds to suspend their anti-paedophile protests, which had grown increasingly violent, and talk instead with the local council. "Have a night off, stay at home, see to your children, clean your house," said the protesters' spokesman, Barry Pettinger. But he added that it was not wholly up to him: "We do not control the people."

What Mr Pettinger seemed to be recognising was the same fact which had caused such alarm beyond Paulsgrove: that this was a mob out of control. The smashing of windows, the burning of cars, the hurling of petrol bombs, even at police - coupled with the sight of young children chanting "hang 'em" - had sent a chill through all those aware of the frailty of public order. Labour MP Robin Corbett has even suggested prosecution of the News of the World, whose "naming and shaming" of paedophiles has been blamed for igniting Paulsgrove.

The fact that the demonstrators sat down for talks yesterday is welcome. Perhaps they will be persuaded by the police evidence that they have repeatedly hounded the innocent, torching the homes and wrecking the lives of people who have nothing to do with child abuse. Perhaps, too, they will accept that their actions have actually increased the risk to their children, by driving paedophiles underground where they cannot be monitored. Maybe they will even realise that paedophilia is not a single enemy: that there are some abusers whose behaviour, though indecent and vile, does not represent a homicidal threat to children.

But there are grounds for pessimism. For what this stand-off has exposed is the chasm that divides the 3,000 or so estates (the government's figure) like Paulsgrove from the more affluent, sheltered parts of Britain where calmer discussion prevails. The liberal arguments familiar in newspapers, TV studios, parliamentary tea rooms and bishops' studies cut no ice among the boarded-up stores and sub-standard housing of Paulsgrove. For them, the distinction between a convicted and suspected paedophile is academic: "Either way, we just want them out of here," said one of the protesters' leaders on Wednesday. What might be the evidence against someone convicted of no crime? "Word of mouth," she said. What might count elsewhere as the basic principles of a civilised society are a foreign language in Paulsgrove.

This, then, is the real meaning of social exclusion. Thousands of estates have been allowed to become dustbins for the rest of society, out of sight and, until a moment like this one, out of mind. (sihhi - Out of mind to who? How can they be out of mind for people who live on them, have neighbours and friends who live on them etc.)
Now they are getting together, bonding as a community - if not in quite the way the prime minister and all his communitarian rhetoric envisaged. There are dangers here, and not just from those who abuse children."

'Selective anti-Guardian spin' that it is '100% shite and nothing but, and always has been' - pure fantasy.

I'm old enough to still retain the habit of buying a printed paper most days -- I'm banned from non work related net access in my job and need something to read at lunchtime, on the bus, in the pub. As much for sports news as other news tbh. IMO out of a pretty poor mainstream bunch the Guardian's better (or less bad) than most, I go no further.

I don't care what paper(s) you read, I object to your misrepresenting posters here and the wider claim that the Guardian is not going down the pan but maintaining intellectual honesty, high investigative standards and ample opportunity for the subjects of events to speak for themselves.

Let's do this more objectively less spin you say the new entries on the Guardian's comment and editorial C+P straight:

In praise of … Ken Stott
20 Jan 2013: Editorial: In the West End at the moment you can see Stott playing Uncle Vanya as it should be done

Animals: are they good for supper or good companions?
20 Jan 2013: Libby Brooks: We humans make distinctions in our closeness to different animals, but we continue to exhibit great cruelty

International development: big questions, small answers
20 Jan 2013: Editorial: In place of the searching global conversation we need, we have an anaesthetised debate

EU reform: Cameron and Miliband have a duty to act as statesmen
20 Jan 2013: David Owen: Treaty amendment should not wait until 2015 – and Labour should co-operate, in the spirit of one-nation politics

American politics: Obama 2.0
20 Jan 2013: Editorial: Obama's most dedicated supporters may hanker for a crisply radical agenda for change, but don't bank on it

A big lump of horse ran into your burger? Don't wave it around or everyone'll want one
20 Jan 2013: Charlie Brooker: Cheap food disgusts us, but many of the posh alternatives are just as likely to put you off your dinner

Martin Rowson on David Cameron's Europe speech – cartoon
20 Jan 2013: Cartoon The prime minister is due to deliver his long-awaited speech on UK relations with the EU this week, after it was postponed because of the Algerian hostage crisis

The readers' editor on… Philip Davies MP and setting fairness above dispute
20 Jan 2013: Chris Elliott: Open door: On reflection, an unqualified correction in a footnote to our story would have been the best way to respond to Davies's complaint

Obama's second inaugural address: don't believe the conciliatory language
20 Jan 2013: Michael Cohen: Inaugural speeches are always mushy, but make no mistake: the economy, gun control and immigration are going to be divisive

What ties Cameron's EU policy to his stirring words on Algeria? Impatience
20 Jan 2013: Gaby Hinsliff: Pick a fight in Brussels, send in a taskforce, shake it all up – on foreign policy David Cameron's like a bull in a china shop

What links Putin and US Republicans? Their rivals look like elitists
20 Jan 2013: Vadim Nikitin: Russia's president can paint his critics as out-of-touch wannabe foreigners. Wine-quaffing liberals must refocus on equality

Why we lean to the political right in Israel
20 Jan 2013: Yoaz Hendel: Most Israelis have had to conclude there is a serious flaw with the idea of 'land for peace' – reality has pushed them to the right

Scottish independence is fast becoming the only option
20 Jan 2013: Kevin McKenna: Even to a unionist like me, an Alex Salmond-led government is preferable to one that rewards greed and corruption

This is what used to be the Guardian's Comment & Analysis section now called Comment is Free - so much of it is pretty weak pap - do you accept that this objective sample - no messing proves the point?

Has it never occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, you're a recovering liberal who was not quite as left-wing as he thought before he joined urban and got exposed to the less permissible dissent?
Given that I have been quite harsh on acorns William, I should add here that I know this because

<stands up>

My name is ymu and I am a recovering liberal.

<bows head, sits down>

Back
Top Bottom