Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is gammon so preservatived?

On a serious note, why can't you get sausages without preservatives? Surely if they're fresh enough (or frozen) there is no need for it.

So how much gammon would a man need to eat to get an inadvertant erection? :hmm: :D

Saltpeter was widely believed to be a hamper to the libido, to the point US army recruits suspected their food was laced with it. THis isn't true, but it's one of the only chemistry facts I know.

My mum always boiled gammon for a couple of hours to remove the salt, and then roasted it for under a hour. Does that help?

On a serious note, why can't you get sausages without preservatives? Surely if they're fresh enough (or frozen) there is no need for it.

My guess woud be that it is bound up with the history of sausage making, as a way of preserving meat. Sausages are an ideal way to package scraps and fat for preservation from before refrigeration and the industrial food chain.

you'll never find a sodium-free gammon because gammon is salted and salt contains sodium. saltpetre is to stop the meat greying so at least a little bit is traditional in all recipes. don't know about the rest of the additives. gammon is meant to keep for ages -sometimes after heating/cooking - so it makes sense for it to be closer to pillar of salt than leg of pork.

however I've been told the poison power of the sodium can be neutralised by stabbing the gammon repeatedly with small toothpicks adorned with discs of pineapple.

Back
Top Bottom