Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

What I mean is that Whiteness becomes the default to 'otherness' so the conversation is rarely about what it means to be White, how White people are etc.

Whiteness is not examined or named/labelled in the same way Blackness/otherness is. The focus is Black/Brown/other people are x, y, z, on perceived, generalised difference, which in itself implies anything un-named as White because the gaze is 'White'. It creates absolute positions and representations.

Prevalent/institutionalised/accepted/internalised, yet for the most part unexamined and deconstructed by many.

Already in bed so not a full response. Hope it makes sense and maybe I can get back to this tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
What I mean is that Whiteness becomes the default to 'otherness' so the conversation is rarely about what it means to be White, how White people are etc.

Whiteness is not examined or named/labelled in the same way Blackness/otherness is. The focus is Black/Brown/other people are x, y, z, on perceived, generalised difference, which in itself implies anything un-named as White because the gaze is 'White'. It creates absolute positions and representations.

Prevalent/institutionalised/accepted/internalised, yet for the most part unexamined and deconstructed by many.

Already in bed so not a full response. Hope it makes sense and maybe I can get back to this tomorrow. :)

It's the same thing with saying 'female doctor', etc. Male is default. White is default. Straight is default. Able-bodied is default. None of them require prefacing with a descriptor because they are assumed to be the 'norm' and anything that isn't one of those things needs an explanation.

Edit: I don't know if anyone's read it, but Erasure by Percival Everett is a very interesting novel that covers a lot of these issues with an emphasis on being African American.

It's the same thing with saying 'female doctor', etc. Male is default. White is default. Straight is default. Able-bodied is default. None of them require prefacing with a descriptor because they are assumed to be the 'norm' and anything that isn't one of those things needs an explanation.

Yes it is. I was being specific because I was asked to be. :)

Thanks both... I get what you mean now but I'm not getting why POC as a phrase has an impact. Again not challenging but really interested in your views on this.

Thanks both... I get what you mean now but I'm not getting why POC as a phrase has an impact. Again not challenging but really interested in your views on this.

...in short because White is a colour too. The term POC doesn't include Whiteness, therefore the 'gaze' is generalised and by default White even if we are using it as a unifier/to talk about our collective experiences of racism.

Last edited:
We are on page 22 of this same discussion. Read the thread? :)
I read the thread title and asked myself... "Did I throw a wobbler when Brad Pitt played a piss-poor pikey in Snatch"... No, I didn't... what's the problem with anyone of any race playing the part of anyone from any race? :confused:

I read the thread title and asked myself... "Did I throw a wobbler when Brad Pitt played a piss-poor pikey in Snatch"... No, I didn't... what's the problem with anyone of any race playing the part of anyone from any race? :confused:

Yul Brynner made a great King of Siam too.....

Zoe Saldana is forever getting painted different colours isn't she?

e2a: I've seen some of the photos of her made up as Simone, and it's the kind of work you'd expect to see in a community theatre pantomime.

It was rather an offensive portrayal of an Irish traveller. The whole film demonises travellers, with the hero of the film repeatedly saying how much he 'hates fucking pikeys'.
Guy Ritchie should have been pitchforked for it.

Not familiar with the film Is this a fair representation of attempts to "africanise" Zoe?
th

But but but, I bet Saldana was literally the BEST actor for the job, so how dare you suggest she shouldn't have played that part.

Etc.

...in short because White is a colour too. The term POC doesn't include Whiteness, therefore the 'gaze' is generalised and by default White even if we are using it as a unifier/to talk about our collective experiences of racism.

Thanks for this. None of it's simple, eh. I hadn't thought of it in this way before.

ironically Nina Simone always felt her career was held back and that she failed to get the critical acolades her talent deserved because she refused to use skin bleaching creams prevalent in the show business industry

Indeed. This is clearly a case where someone's life, and therefore any story you might want to tell about that person, has been profoundly affected by the colour of their skin. To do justice to both the story and the subject of that story you'd need to cast someone who looks the part.

Back
Top Bottom