Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who will buy the Brixton Woolies?

I just popped into Woolies now and it's getting more and more run down. There's no shortage of customers there though, which adds to the craziness of them not at least trying to see through Christmas before having their big sellout sale.

Personally cheap clothes are as likely to be kept and worn for years or just not thrown out, just in case, and expensive clothes are often worn once and shoved in the back of a wardrobe. Both should be recycled. I don't see how man-made fibres can't have a life after clothes.

Not that you're not right. Just pointing out that some people labour under the misapprehension that spending more on clothes = not buying clothes made in sweatshops and that the percentage isn't just affected by Primark et al.
But for most charity shops, they've noticed that they can't actually sell a lot of the stuff that gets donated nowadays.

Decent stuff, people tend not to just shove in the back of their wardrobe, they'll either flog it on eBay or take it to one of those new fangled clothes swaps parties or events.

Stuff that people definitely don't want (and can't make money out of) they'll either chuck, and it'll end up in landfill, or they'll donate it to a charity shop, but it's of such poor quality that the charity shop can't sell it either, and it still ends up in landfill.

If you buy a shirt or t-shirt or whatever from Primark for 3 quid, the likelihood of it being in a decent state after a few washes is minimal. It's made on the cheap, it's meant to be disposable high fashion.

Even if you spend 20 or 30 quid on something from Next or M&S or another random high street shop, the quality will be better and might be suitable for a charity shop to sell on once you're done with it. Primark stuff, nope, that's unlikely.

Stuff that people definitely don't want (and can't make money out of) they'll either chuck, and it'll end up in landfill, or they'll donate it to a charity shop, but it's of such poor quality that the charity shop can't sell it either, and it still ends up in landfill.

I thought there was a market for recycling what are effectively rags - e.g. into industrial wipes, etc. Does anyone know?

I thought there was a market for recycling what are effectively rags - e.g. into industrial wipes, etc. Does anyone know?

There are other ways of recycling clothes, for insulation and all sorts. Don't know the details though.

I just popped into Woolies now and it's getting more and more run down. There's no shortage of customers there though, which adds to the craziness of them not at least trying to see through Christmas before having their big sellout sale.

I've read on another site that they're now selling off their own furniture including shelves, desks, chairs etc. even down to the carrier baskets :eek:

Woolies on Friday:

goodbye-woolworths-09.jpg

goodbye-woolworths-10.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/london/goodbye-woolworths-brixton.html

According to the official document listed on the BBC website the Brixton store isn't supposed to close until 5th January.

Bit pointless staying open if there's nothing inside... unless they open up to spot hire it as an illegal rave venue or something?

According to the official document listed on the BBC website the Brixton store isn't supposed to close until 5th January.

Bit pointless staying open if there's nothing inside... unless they open up to spot hire it as an illegal rave venue or something?

So that's where the secret venue in Brixton that the New Year party is :cool:

Bit pointless staying open if there's nothing inside...?

There's loads of stuff still inside. Editor's picture only shows the maybe quarter of the store that's completely empty

I went into Woolies for one last time on Saturday afternoon. Utterly crap, yet rather sad. There seemed to be more credit crunch tourists such as myself, than genuine bargain hunters (of which there are very few left.)

I managed about two minutes of nostalgia filming, before the poor sod of a security guard had to do his job and chase me out.

I bought it - it's going to be a community/arts/craft centre with amenities for all sorts of minority groups, and a bus shelter for when it's raining

It looks like someone has got the lease as clothes etc and people were busy in there tonight. I'm thinking it may be a sample sale.

I would like to see it turned into a knocking shop with male and felmale models in the large windows at the front. They could cater for ages. tasts etc. Make sure that the everyone is clean healthy and tested.

may just do away with all the ladies and gentlemen of the night/day which tender their trade along brixton hill.

just a thougt!

I would like to see it turned into a knocking shop with male and felmale models in the large windows at the front. They could cater for ages. tasts etc. Make sure that the everyone is clean healthy and tested.

may just do away with all the ladies and gentlemen of the night/day which tender their trade along brixton hill.

just a thougt!

There's enough obstacles in the way of getting to the bus stops without hundreds of people stopping dead in their tracks to look at window half naked in shop windows :mad:

Back
Top Bottom