Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who will buy the Brixton Woolies?

someone like Primark or Waitrose/Sainsburys moving

be the only people who could afford the rent.

unless it's split in to smaller units but not sure how that would work tbh as it's quite a deep store.

If all 32191 members of this site chipped in £20 annually then that would give us £643,820.00 then I reckon we could use it as a secret HQ and stuff?

Obviously if we remove all the Firky alters then the number drops down to about 18.

If all 32191 members of this site chipped in £20 annually then that would give us £643,820.00 then I reckon we could use it as a secret HQ and stuff?

Obviously if we remove all the Firky alters then the number drops down to about 18.

Count me in, we could disguise the outside as a Victorian taxidermist's store, then we'll never be rumbled

3116375958_5287020b6b_o.jpg

Posted under the influence of night nurse, I thank you

Woolworths is huge so they wouldn't be able to open for more than 6 hours on a Sunday (it's some law that applies to any retail space above a certain square footage)

Huh.. I didn't know that! I haven't been in Brixton Tescos since forever, but I remember on Sundays it used to be awfully short hours.

So how does it work then for those massive 24 hour places? Have they got some special "out of town" law?

(shouldn't you be in the Prince Regent?)

(shit.. i should be at Christmas dinner myself elsewhere!!)

*buggers off*

Fuck me, do you want a giant stirring spoon (currently at 50% off in Woolies) to go with that Twisted.
:D

I think Woolies would make an excellent food venue fwiw - I can see the signs for 'Chicken Palace' now.

Fuck me, do you want a giant stirring spoon (currently at 50% off in Woolies) to go with that Twisted.
:D

I think Woolies would make an excellent food venue fwiw - I can see the signs for 'Chicken Palace' now.

I just couldn't waste such an opportunity:D

Come to think of it though, all the shops in New Park Road could fit in there in some new slightly upmarket food arcade.

Count me in, we could disguise the outside as a Victorian taxidermist's store, then we'll never be rumbled

3116375958_5287020b6b_o.jpg

Magnificent pic!

Brixton Woolies is a great building - Art Deco?

I hope its character is kept whoever takes it on.

paddy.jpg

I havent seen paddy shop in brixton...maybe now it's the time:D

they would be the daddy of all brixton's betting shops.

Wilko

I hear (no more than idle rumours) that Wilkinsons - the store that for the last twenty years has made loads of money in the Midlands and North of England selling all the things that Woolworths stopped selling when they went for higher margins in the 1980s - have decided not to repeat the errors of William Morrisons's takeover of Safeway and are unlikely to bid for the whole Woolies business, but may be in negotiations with the administrators to take a portfolio of leases.

They have been slowly moving into cheap London locations - a store opened in Penge this autumn.

However, even after the splitting up of the Brixton store in the 1980s, it would still be pretty big for a Wilkinsons. I wonder if the property owners would be interested in splitting the site further so Brixton could have both a Wilkinsons and a Waitrose.

Do you really think that Waitrose will move to Brixton? More likely to be Aldi, no?

Want a proper bookshop - but we won't get one.

I like both the 'world's biggest nail bar' and 'bus shelter' and 'brixton cycles' options for pure brixtonianness but what about a truly radical step? why not let all the psst psst skunk skunk men stop loitering about on the pavement outside, get in, take over the tills and produce a shining business success story in the midst of crashing recession?

(they'll probably move faster than the old woolies' staff, that's for sure)
all we'd need would be an iconoclastic forward-thinking mayor and a charismatic local police chief eager to break out of the sterile logic of the war on drugs ... oh hang on a minute ... still, I say: Brixton Hamsterdamworld ftw!

Do you really think that Waitrose will move to Brixton? More likely to be Aldi, no?

Nah, I don't think we're posh enough for Waitrose. :D

M&S has only started picking up more customers since its' expansion and it only gets really really busy at Christmas

I've had a wonderful idea.

A food court, like they have in Singapore, Malaysia etc.

Everyone could sit down next to each other sharing their Chinese, Curries, Macdonalds etc. whilst waiting for a bus. This might reduce the smell on the buses :D

It could be a first in the UK, or are there already food courts here that I've not heard about?

I like the book shop idea - and also miss a decent all-rounder music store... perhaps a Border's style shop?....

... with a big bus shelter inside the doors.

I've had a wonderful idea.

A food court, like they have in Singapore, Malaysia etc.

Everyone could sit down next to each other sharing their Chinese, Curries, Macdonalds etc. whilst waiting for a bus. This might reduce the smell on the buses :D

It could be a first in the UK, or are there already food courts here that I've not heard about?

Would be nice but would be a paradise for bagthieves. Good idea, Wrong location.

[retail property analyst manqué]
Close to a busy Zone 2 tube station with a lot of professional singles and DINKY households within the pedshed so not a completely impossible prospect.
[/retail property analyst manqué]

Back
Top Bottom