Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whitehawk away 21 October 2023

A decent performance on the whole against opponents who are on a massive unbeaten home run, which we came close to ending. Unfortunately we still haven't won away in the league since January.

Chambers gave us the lead after 78 minutes with a well taken near post header from a Binnom-Williams corner. Apart from an early shot that hit the inside of our post and somehow wasn't touched over the line in a crowded box, Whitehawk had rarely threatened to score. Inevitably they committed more men forward after that but we defended really well with some great interceptions and clearances, until the 89th minute when an awkward cross from our right bounced through to the far post for a simple headed finish. Shokunbi was sent off in stoppage time for a lunging tackle near the halfway line, so he's suspended for 3 games from next Saturday.

A decent performance on the whole against opponents who are on a massive unbeaten home run, which we came close to ending. Unfortunately we still haven't won away in the league since January.

Chambers gave us the lead after 78 minutes with a well taken near post header from a Binnom-Williams corner. Apart from an early shot that hit the inside of our post and somehow wasn't touched over the line in a crowded box, Whitehawk had rarely threatened to score. Inevitably they committed more men forward after that but we defended really well with some great interceptions and clearances, until the 89th minute when an awkward cross from our right bounced through to the far post for a simple headed finish. Shokunbi was sent off in stoppage time for a lunging tackle near the halfway line, so he's suspended for 3 games from next Saturday.

Much more positive than negative, would you say?

Just popped into say that the mighty Hawks (my Isthmian team) are doing so well for a promoted side. Sounds like you lot were robbed a bit, though?

Late equaliser was annoying but is what it is. Red card was a joke though, good tackle and the whitehawk player came running in to fall over him. Not even a free kick never mind a red card. Not one to say this normally but the ref was ridiculous all game.

The secret tunnel under the train station (former horsedrawn cab rank) is open noon-6pm tomorrow for an art and music installation.
Just my luck I’m playing for Clapton & Peckham Town Women today 😢

Think we played well today and done enough to take the 3 points, but that's football.

I've despised Shitehawk ever since that cheating cunt Al Abd got Ray Powell sent off in 2011/12? and smirked and said that's football at the end. Today has just met this hatred from a different level, over the top stewarding that was unbelievable, taking tops off bottles of water yet allowing others to bring in water bottles. Only searching males as they didn't have female security.
Last time I ever go to this scum club!

Think we played well today and done enough to take the 3 points, but that's football.

I've despised Shitehawk ever since that cheating cunt Al Abd got Ray Powell sent off in 2011/12? and smirked and said that's football at the end. Today has just met this hatred from a different level, over the top stewarding that was unbelievable, taking tops off bottles of water yet allowing others to bring in water bottles. Only searching males as they didn't have female security.
I could never understand the love in, I’ve hated them with a passion too.

Just popped into say that the mighty Hawks (my Isthmian team) are doing so well for a promoted side. Sounds like you lot were robbed a bit, though?
Not robbed, just couldn't get over the line for the win. 20 games unbeaten at home vs 18 without an away league win sounds like a home banker, but about 75% of those sequences were before promotion and relegation brought our clubs together, having been 2 levels apart until 6 months ago.

Was great to catch up with Hamlet fan Dave Blythe, who's supported the Hamlet since the 1950s and lived at Whitehawk for the last decade or so. Now aged 77, Dave is unfortunately wheelchair bound (which must be tough, as he was a real fitness fanatic who played good level sport well into middle age) and hopes to get to a game at Champion Hill shortly.

At least you don't hold on to a grudge eh? 😉

Not robbed, just couldn't get over the line for the win. 20 games unbeaten at home vs 18 without an away league win sounds like a home banker, but about 75% of those sequences were before promotion and relegation brought our clubs together, having been 2 levels apart until 6 months ago.

Was great to catch up with Hamlet fan Dave Blythe, who's supported the Hamlet since the 1950s and lived at Whitehawk for the last decade or so. Now aged 77, Dave is unfortunately wheelchair bound (which must be tough, as he was a real fitness fanatic who played good level sport well into middle age) and hopes to get to a game at Champion Hill shortly.

Oh I miss that man so much. If you get prior warning what game he's coming to, please let me know.

Late equaliser was annoying but is what it is. Red card was a joke though, good tackle and the whitehawk player came running in to fall over him. Not even a free kick never mind a red card. Not one to say this normally but the ref was ridiculous all game.
He was very pedantic. Gave as many marginal free kicks as possible throughout. He was a whisker away from giving us a penalty in the first half when Wanadio jinked past a defender inside the box and was clipped. He put his whistle to his mouth, but our man regained his balance and tried to pick a pass into the goalmouth, which was intercepted. If Wanads had gone down I'm certain he'd have been taking a penalty kick seconds later, and he's never missed for us. I prefer it when players just try to carry on, I loathe that game of chess trying to win free kicks/penalties, but it's infuriating nevertheless.

Please note: The Brighton Bier brewery taproom (the best pub in the vicinity of Whitehawk FC) is now CLOSED. Dunno if they've updated the website but they've switched to seasonal opening so it's shut until Easter-ish now. (Source: The brewery run my local and I know the owners/brewers.) I don't know if the almost adjacent Loud Shirt brewery taproom is open or not (as I hate their beer).

Brighton Bier do have two pubs (Brighton Bierhaus and Haus On The Hill) that are halfway between the station and Whitehawk's ground if anyone is doing that three mile walk.

There's nothing else decent beer-wise around Whitehawk imho, so drinking near the station (eg the Evening Star, Battle of Trafalgar, Prince Albert or Lord Nelson) might be the best bet.

Tunnel/station nerds: The secret tunnel under the train station (former horsedrawn cab rank) is open noon-6pm tomorrow for an art and music installation. This is the first time I can remember them opening it and I've lived in Brighton for 30 years. It's free entry via a small (usually locked) doorway across the road from the Prince Albert if you fancy nerdily checking it out.
Was good to inadvertently bump into you at the Brighton Bier Haus. I'm now drinking Marble Stout at the Evening Star, mercifully free from televised rugby and associated rugger buggers!

That was so much better than our early season performances.

Whitehawk hit the post in a goalmouth scramble in the opening minutes, and never really threatened again until after we had scored. Wanadio was the best player on the pitch, seemed to be at the heart of every forward move. Scarlett linking up with him well and Scott looking much more assured in the middle.

Just need one of our forwards to go on a bit of a goal run, we need a 6 yard box poacher to finish things off because there were plenty of crosses today.

Whitehawk security was laughably over the top, but still friendly. I didn't pick up any sense of aggro so not sure why they needed to go around confiscating bottle tops and opening cans of juice.

Whitehawk security was laughably over the top, but still friendly. I didn't pick up any sense of aggro so not sure why they needed to go around confiscating bottle tops and opening cans of juice.
It was fucking ludicrous. I just don't understand what they were thinking of.

Someone at WFC authorised that. It wasn't local authority or FA rules. I've never experienced anything like it. WFC on their social media were promoting this fixture as a meeting of like minded clubs and supporters. I bought into that. All their supporters seemed great and I was expecting to feel welcome, as I did for the pre-season game last year.

On arrival I had my bag searched. Fair enough, I don't normally take a bag and it irritates me, but I can accept that. The security guy then asked to frisk me. I was dressed lightly in a hoodie and jeans, it's not like I had a massive "shoplifter" coat with huge pockets. What was he expecting to find? (He'd already slammed my bottle of water on a table to check for fizz.) It seems I got off lightly, as friends had their wallets searched and sniffed. (Yes, seriously! Presumably for drugs? I'm surprised they didn't have a fucking bloodhound on duty.)

Official attendance was 633. As far as I could tell there was no friction between opposing supporters and no misbehaviour. I'd quite like to know what they were expecting, and whether or not they actually prevented any sort of antisocial behaviour whatsoever. (Someone ahead of me at the entrance had some booze confiscated and was told he could collect it on the way out, again fair enough.)

I'd really looked forward to this trip beforehand, but it's probably the last time I shall visit Whitehawk FC for the foreseeable future. Someone definitely put the "Shite" into Shitehawk today.

On the security, I heard something about it being a practice ahead of Bognor coming in the week. It was a bit odd though, that's for sure.
While I'm here... I've mentioned this to people at games before but please can people stop the fighting song introduction to Just Can't Get Enough? I've never liked it, but singing about war and battlefields sits even more uncomfortably at the moment. JCGE is such a joyous song and it's being ruined. I am sure that those who sing the new intro have no intention of reveling in sectarianism or glorifying war so a polite request (again) to FUCKING KNOCK THAT SHIT ON THE HEAD

That was so much better than our early season performances.

Whitehawk hit the post in a goalmouth scramble in the opening minutes, and never really threatened again until after we had scored. Wanadio was the best player on the pitch, seemed to be at the heart of every forward move. Scarlett linking up with him well and Scott looking much more assured in the middle.

Just need one of our forwards to go on a bit of a goal run, we need a 6 yard box poacher to finish things off because there were plenty of crosses today.

Spot on with these comments. Was going to write pretty much the same. After the disapointments of the previous away games this a great improvement. I imagine if Romaine was in form he would start and we would pose more of a threat

On the security, I heard something about it being a practice ahead of Bognor coming in the week. It was a bit odd though, that's for sure.
While I'm here... I've mentioned this to people at games before but please can people stop the fighting song introduction to Just Can't Get Enough? I've never liked it, but singing about war and battlefields sits even more uncomfortably at the moment. JCGE is such a joyous song and it's being ruined. I am sure that those who sing the new intro have no intention of reveling in sectarianism or glorifying war so a polite request (again) to FUCKING KNOCK THAT SHIT ON THE HEAD
It’s bad enough at the mens games.
It’s straight up wtaf at the womens. “Shall we do the toxic masculinity one now yeah?” “Yeah sound, after you”.
When the songbook has such really good new other stuff recently, it’s a huge shame it’s getting a look in.

thought we played together positively as a team, agains a tight opposition, and a terrible ref. Security, sloping pitch and red card awful. Whitehawk fans engaging and positive, I had a great chat with some old timers about mutual love for Danny Mills. Good to see a keg of local beer on the bar, and a nice welcome message and Hamlet poster.

Last edited:
Was good to inadvertently bump into you at the Brighton Bier Haus. I'm now drinking Marble Stout at the Evening Star, mercifully free from televised rugby and associated rugger buggers!

Good to meet you. I was on the Marble Stout in the Evening Star (the other of my two main locals) prior to Bierhaus. I assume you didn't try the 10.1% whiskey barrel aged chili stout on keg there? It's absolutely disgusting (even the bar staff, knowing I love strong stouts, warned me off) - I don't know how they 'barrel aged' it but it tasted like paint stripper :(

Don't know if I mentioned that I stopped off at the cab tunnel installation on the way to Bierhaus. The lights/music felt like a 2020 Trustafarian's guess at what a 1990-ish acid house warehouse rave was like (having been to several of those, not very accurate). The tunnel, though an 1840 original, felt to me like a low budget stage set, eg from Doctor Who or something, but I actually quite enjoyed that and stayed until the bleeping gave me a headache.

I bailed on Bierhaus just as the last seat got filled by a rugby fan. Clearly none of them had set foot in the pub before. Five different rugby fans arriving in a 15 minute period asked if they did Guinness, then when the staff described the different stout options available, looked blankly before ordering a lager (or in one case, a pint of cranberry juice) instead! That tells me all I need to know about rugby fans.

Back
Top Bottom