Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whitehawk away 21 October 2023

The main advice for train travel is use Thameslink services and book from London Bridge or East Croydon for the cheapest fares. It's £14.50 return from London Bridge (£9.55 with a railcard) but twice the price buying a through ticket from your local station using any services other than Thameslink (e.g £28 from East Dulwich) even going via East Croydon and avoiding Zone 1. Use Oyster/contactless to get to LB or EC if necessary. Unless you want to walk to the ground or get a cab (it's the best part of 3 miles from the station) add a PlusBus ticket to your train ticket for £4.10, or £2.70 with a railcard. Bus 7 from Brighton station forecourt drops you at the nearest stop to the ground, although it's still a good 10 minute walk from there up a narrow lane. I can't remember the name of the stop, but it's the penultimate stop on the route and you don't want to miss it otherwise you'll end up at Brighton Marina with a long walk back! Brighton & Hove buses are relatively sophisticated with their ticketing options. There's an app you can download to pay for tickets or day rovers online, if anyone is making a day of it.

My go-to Brighton pub is always the Evening Star in Surrey Street, about 50 yards from the station therefore very convenient before the journey home, but there are countless other options all over the city centre and beyond. Good news is Brighton & HA are away, so the trains and pubs wont be packed with crowds from there.

Bus 7 from Brighton station forecourt drops you at the nearest stop to the ground, although it's still a good 10 minute walk from there up a narrow lane. I can't remember the name of the stop,
Bit of local knowledge that might help. The number 7 is a bit of a magical mystery tour to get to Whitehawk. It's slow and goes all around the houses. Plus as you rightly point out there's still a bit of leg work.up Wilson avenue. Used to take the boy over for the odd game. The number 1 and 1A are much better choices, more frequent, direct and will save you a walk up the hill from where the number 7 will leave you. If you opt for that you just need to walk from the station towards the sea until you get to the clock tower. It's a 5/6 minute stroll. From the clock tower and to your right is Western road / there's a 3 mobile shop right on the corner. Cross over to that at the lights and there's a couple of bus stops yards along from the lights where the 1 and 1A both stop. Hope this may be of help. Enjoy the game!

Best pub in Brighton is the Prince Albert right by the station. I was in there a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
We were meant to play Whitehawk in a pre-season friendly that got cancelled. I had a detailed itinerary figured out, which involved the Evening Star (as recommended by Pink Panther), a number 1/1A bus (as recommended by Sealion), but also a visit to the Loud Shirt and/or Brighton Bier Brewery Taprooms, which don't involve much of a detour.

We were meant to play Whitehawk in a pre-season friendly that got cancelled. I had a detailed itinerary figured out, which involved the Evening Star (as recommended by Pink Panther), a number 1/1A bus (as recommended by Sealion), but also a visit to the Loud Shirt and/or Brighton Bier Brewery Taprooms, which don't involve much of a detour.
I noticed the two microbrewery taprooms when we played there in pre-season last year but I needed to get straight back to London afterwards, so didn't visit. They're both on a small industrial estate near the bus stops close to the ground. Loud Shirt seems appropriate enough, given the Hamlet’s colours, but it's only open from 4-9pm. Brighton Bier opens from 2pm.

Please note: The Brighton Bier brewery taproom (the best pub in the vicinity of Whitehawk FC) is now CLOSED. Dunno if they've updated the website but they've switched to seasonal opening so it's shut until Easter-ish now. (Source: The brewery run my local and I know the owners/brewers.) I don't know if the almost adjacent Loud Shirt brewery taproom is open or not (as I hate their beer).

Brighton Bier do have two pubs (Brighton Bierhaus and Haus On The Hill) that are halfway between the station and Whitehawk's ground if anyone is doing that three mile walk.

There's nothing else decent beer-wise around Whitehawk imho, so drinking near the station (eg the Evening Star, Battle of Trafalgar, Prince Albert or Lord Nelson) might be the best bet.

Tunnel/station nerds: The secret tunnel under the train station (former horsedrawn cab rank) is open noon-6pm tomorrow for an art and music installation. This is the first time I can remember them opening it and I've lived in Brighton for 30 years. It's free entry via a small (usually locked) doorway across the road from the Prince Albert if you fancy nerdily checking it out.

Please note: The Brighton Bier brewery taproom (the best pub in the vicinity of Whitehawk FC) is now CLOSED. Dunno if they've updated the website but they've switched to seasonal opening so it's shut until Easter-ish now. (Source: The brewery run my local and I know the owners/brewers.) I don't know if the almost adjacent Loud Shirt brewery taproom is open or not (as I hate their beer).

Brighton Bier do have two pubs (Brighton Bierhaus and Haus On The Hill) that are halfway between the station and Whitehawk's ground if anyone is doing that three mile walk.

There's nothing else decent beer-wise around Whitehawk imho, so drinking near the station (eg the Evening Star, Battle of Trafalgar, Prince Albert or Lord Nelson) might be the best bet.

Tunnel/station nerds: The secret tunnel under the train station (former horsedrawn cab rank) is open noon-6pm tomorrow for an art and music installation. This is the first time I can remember them opening it and I've lived in Brighton for 30 years. It's free entry via a small (usually locked) doorway across the road from the Prince Albert if you fancy nerdily checking it out.
Thanks for that, some great info there. I was wavering over making the trip. I wanted to do it but dodgy weather forecast and a nasty bout of flu all week threatened to throw a spanner in the works. However a "training session" consisting of a couple of halfs of Kernel 1890 Export Stout (ABV 7.3%) from their taproom (conveniently 62 yards from my flat, according to Google Maps) has convinced me that I've passed the pre-match "fitness test". An early arrival for some sea air and a perusal of the Victorian cab rank now feels irresistible.

Feels likely to me with such relentless rain. Naturally I look forward to finding out once my train rolls into Brighton

Feels likely to me with such relentless rain. Naturally I look forward to finding out once my train rolls into Brighton
No one can legislate for a mad amount of localised rainfall between noon and 3pm but I can't see it being off. The weather hasn't been too wet until the last few days, so the water table should be fairly low. We'll probably cop a heavy shower or two, but there should be dry spells in between, going by the latest TV weather forecast. Don't rely on those misleading weather apps that always make it look like it's raining non-stop all day.

No one can legislate for a mad amount of localised rainfall between noon and 3pm but I can't see it being off. The weather hasn't been too wet until the last few days, so the water table should be fairly low. We'll probably cop a heavy shower or two, but there should be dry spells in between, going by the latest TV weather forecast. Don't rely on those misleading weather apps that always make it look like it's raining non-stop all day.
It’s a thing.

Can confirm it’s intermittently dry and very heavy and windy rain. I got wet playing air hockey on the pier just now and the table is a good twenty foot from the door.

Just visited this. Fankly the art and music installation was a bit over my head, although I permitted myself the brief fantasy of hailing a hansom cab for the journey to the ground. I'm now in the Prince Albert, which is a bit more me.
20231021_131455.jpg

Reactions: EDC
Back
Top Bottom