Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where is selling seville oranges?

ExtraRefined

Better than you at everything you love
Today was pencilled in as the annual marmalade making day, but my plans have been thwarted by an apparent death of seville oranges.

I've tried so far, East Street market, Morrisons & Sainsburys without any success.

During the Second World War making marmalade was considered so essential to British morale that special efforts were made to ensure the supply of Seville Oranges, so what has changed?

Has anyone actually seen - let alone bought - any Seville oranges in Brixton or environs this winter?

I seriously doubt that you will be able to get them before 2012. The season is very short - typically the last two weeks in January. I got a first lot around about the 15th Jan, then decided I hadn't made enough marmalade so got a second lot a couple of weeks later by when they were looking decidedly manky (and were much cheaper).

Oranges are in full season here, and hopefully some more will start to come into season soon. For marmalade does it really need to be Seville oranges or could you use any semi bitter orange? The ones coming off the trees just now are not as bitter as Seville oranges but have a nice sharpness.

A&C Deli on Atlantic Road had some last week, I vaguely considered buying some but then realised I don't actually like Marmalade.

Oranges are in full season here, and hopefully some more will start to come into season soon. For marmalade does it really need to be Seville oranges or could you use any semi bitter orange? The ones coming off the trees just now are not as bitter as Seville oranges but have a nice sharpness.

I think (without checking on Google) that Sevilles have a lot of pectin in them which is the setting agent in jams/marmalades.

*** New Park Fruiterers NOW sold out (well 3 (1 lb) left) ***

Threes enough to make a third of this rediculously complex recipe though !!!
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/preserve/dark-chunky-marmalade.html

The guy said hes unlikely to get more in :(

They've got a couple of kilos left in the greengrocer in Herne Hill but the guy there said the season has been incredibly short this year and it's finished now.

I got mine over a month ago in Sainsbury's (or it might have been Morrison's, I can't remember now) in Streatham - I think they're over now! That independent fruit shop just south of Streatham Hill Station sometimes has them later than other people, so you could try there.

There is a drink they sell in Italy they make from bitter oranges called Chinotto.. delicious stuff!

Last year I ended up getting them from Sainsburys in mid February. Not making any this year since I haven't even half finished last year's batch.

If the worst comes to the worst, use Ma Made. You can get thin or thick cut. All it consists of is sliced Seville oranges in a large tin. My mum usually used Ma Made and no-one could tell the difference. The season for Seville Oranges is short, but you can buy a tin of Ma Made any time of the year.

Hartleys_MaMade_Thin_Cut_Seville_Oranges_850g.jpg

I'll see how I go with that Delia recipe first. I like my marmalade Scottish so if it turns into a mare I'll fall back on Ma Made. Add some chunky rind, a slug of Talisker and. .... WHY HAVE I BOTHERED WITH BUYING FRESH ORANGES AND RESIGNING MYSELF TO 4 HOURS IN THE KITCHEN ??? DEAR LORD ... :facepalm:

No help I know but I had some lovelly tangerines recently.

Are they tangerines? the smallish ones with the loose skins.

Might have been Satsumas which are similar but with a more standard orange taste. Tangerines are a bit special with a distinctive flavour.

This doesn't help those wanting to make marmalade though.

No, indeed, but I love the small ones that seem to come at Christmas time, especially those easy peel ones with the loose skins. Would like to have them all year round.
News flash! The easy peel types of orange are the most popular ones all year round. Apparently the people who supply oranges have focussed on delivering these to supermarkets in particular. Apparently it is because people are too lazy to peel tight skinned oranges.

News flash! The easy peel types of orange are the most popular ones all year round. Apparently the people who supply oranges have focussed on delivering these to supermarkets in particular. Apparently it is because people are too lazy to peel tight skinned oranges.

I am ....... too lazy :)

Back
Top Bottom