Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to do in and around Anglesey

mattie

missing in inaction
A mate is getting married there in July and we're making a long weekend of it, so would appreciate advice on where to go, what to see and what to do.

I've been to Snowdon and experienced rain going upwards for the first time in my life, and I've 'enjoyed' the excellence that is the octagon, other than that I know nothing of the area outside of a few pubs in Bangor. I'd rather not repeat that particular weekend, so advice some more outdoorsy and spectacular things would be appreciated.

Ta muchly.

I love seasidey/estuary villages, so that's on list, ta muchly!

I assume north coast is worth avoiding?

I actually like the look of Llandudno, it was the one tidy place I passed on train fro Manchester to Bangor.

Rhyl had miles of desolate-looking caravan parks and (I think) a rusting ship on a beach, and a reputation to rival Southend-on-Sea.

I actually like the look of Llandudno, it was the one tidy place I passed on train fro Manchester to Bangor.

Rhyl had miles of desolate-looking caravan parks and (I think) a rusting ship on a beach, and a reputation to rival Southend-on-Sea.

Fish Tram Chips is one of the nicest chip shops in the country, but apart from that (and the tram itself of course) Llandudno is just a jumped-up version of Rhyl.

I live here so here's some tips:

Best beach - Llanddwyn, though there are dozens of other fantastic beaches.
Avoid Holyhead, unless you're going to South Stack... a lighthouse with nice walks and views around there.
Porthmadog is about 40 minutes away, If you go there I can highly recommend "Snowdonia Ale", by the Purple Moose brewery. Lovely stuff, buy a barrel.
If you want to go for a trek in the mountains do the Nantlle Ridge walk, amazing.
Rhosneigr is the place to go if you're into any form of surfing. Good shop there to hire stuff and even have a lesson.

(more coming...)

It's not "Anglesea", it's "Anglesey".

That could have resulted in satnav disaster.

We're booked into a place in Trearddur Bay, most of the day will be spent in a church orunder a bar table so I'm not sure what we'll see, but should be fun.

I live here so here's some tips:

Best beach - Llanddwyn, though there are dozens of other fantastic beaches.
Avoid Holyhead, unless you're going to South Stack... a lighthouse with nice walks and views around there.
Porthmadog is about 40 minutes away, If you go there I can highly recommend "Snowdonia Ale", by the Purple Moose brewery. Lovely stuff, buy a barrel.
If you want to go for a trek in the mountains do the Nantlle Ridge walk, amazing.
Rhosneigr is the place to go if you're into any form of surfing. Good shop there to hire stuff and even have a lesson.

(more coming...)

Ta for pointers - had a quick look at some of these and they look superb. Which bit do you live in, btw?

That could have resulted in satnav disaster.

We're booked into a place in Trearddur Bay, most of the day will be spent in a church orunder a bar table so I'm not sure what we'll see, but should be fun.

Treaddur Bay is where a lot of holidaymakers go. I've never been to the beach there as I'm closer to some far quieter ones. It's close to South Stack if you like coastal walks and birdwatching (there's an RSPB centre there). A couple of miles down the road is Rhosneigr which is where a lot of surfers go. THen a mile or two down the road is Trac Mon (car racing track if you're into that type of thing), Then a mile further is Aberffraw, a small village which has a lovely walk to the beach and amazing sand dunes to play in.

Right, we've wangled a few more days for this, so plan is to stop on way up - somewhere like Portmerion or Harlech - and maybe similar on way home as well as a few days on Anglesey.

Any suggestions for decent hotels or (preferably) b&bs at any of the above, or failing that anywhere in general environs?

Usually we just rock up and find accommodation, but not sure that'll work in tourist country in high season.

All advice greatly appreciated.

<snip> Rhyl had miles of desolate-looking caravan parks and (I think) a rusting ship on a beach, and a reputation to rival Southend-on-Sea.

Mate of mine got sliced with a Stanley there, resulting in 20-odd inch scar snaking down his back (he was running like fuck at the time and thought it was just a punch at first)

Back
Top Bottom