Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What makes a species an ok pet?

My sister has never neutered any of her dogs. I neutered mine because it reduces likelihood of cancer and prostate disease.

I think it’s anthropomorphism to suggest pets care one way or the other.
Yeah and it can also be anthropomorphism to object to things like animals on leads or even animals being kept in cages for periods of time. All depends on how and why it's done. As you said, to your dog, his cage is a safe place.

Most of the animals we keep as pets are creatures of habit. They're superstitious and don't like change. Yesterday went ok, so if today pans out the same way, I'll be alright. Giving them a feeling of safety through routine is often the best thing we can do for them.

My daughter had guinea pigs from age 6 to when she left home (extended by a couple of years when Ms747 adopted another pair). She did clean them twice a week and they lived in hutches outdoors at night and runs during the day (on really cold winter nights we brought them in).

They seemed ideal children's pets, they seemed to like being held and were quite interesting, and when they start 'pop corning' adorable. Sorry to rabit fans (existentialist and Ax^ :() but I much preferred them to rabbits.

I've always been a cat person. But I did have a rat as a young teenager which was very very clever in the tricks we could do together, they don't last long and their tail are off putting to many though.

ETA: I defy anyone to watch this video from Nagasaki and not smile and/or go awww.

Last edited:
In the US people keep dogs in crates, often all day long while they are at work and then again at night. I fell out with someone over this, they kept two large dogs in crates only big enough for them to turn around.

I know someone who does this. Breaks my heart seeing them like that. They go absolutely mental with excitement when they see me because they know I'll be fussing them and possibly taking them for a walk, which should really be what their life is like all the time. :(

Yes, I have said something.

I know someone else who has a crate, but it is basically the dog's bed and he is never locked in it - is a rescue and seems to feel most secure there.

But generally, it makes me sad.

Have another friend who has working dogs kept outside in a kennel. He has a very compartmentalised attitude to the difference between working dogs and pet dogs.

My daughter had guinea pigs from age 6 to when she left home (extended by a couple of years when Ms747 adopted another pair). She did clean them twice a week and they lived in hutches outdoors at night and runs during the day (on really cold winter nights we brought them in).

They seemed ideal children's pets, they seemed to like being held and were quite interesting, and when they start 'pop corning' adorable. Sorry to rabit fans (existentialist and Ax^ :() but I much preferred them to rabbits.

not wrong with a guinea pig :)

39299-Rabbit-and-baby-Guinea-pig-white-background.jpg

Last edited:
My sister has never neutered any of her dogs. I neutered mine because it reduces likelihood of cancer and prostate disease.

I think it’s anthropomorphism to suggest pets care one way or the other.

That woman with the fox sanctuary mentioned on a video about a couple of the foxes taking a long time to forgive her for the neutering, but then they're not really pet animals.

Only ever encountered one pet ferret and it was a vicious, horrible little bastard.

I understand they're popular in Yorkshire. Go figure.

I've encountered a few. Most seemed to largely hiding from their owners, but one was an absolute sweetie and would jump up to strangers for a cuddle.
I guess that explains people's different opinions about them - until I met that one I couldn't fathom keeping one, and generally regarded prey animals as poor pets.

edit: I read "ferret" as "Rabbit" - I am an idiot. :D

Crating dogs is becoming a thing in this country too, a number of people round here have got dogs in the past two or three years and routinely crate them when at home. What’s the point in having a dog you can’t snuggle up with?
I was told my previous dog had to have a crate as he was nervous. He showed no interest in it at all until I dismantled it to return it to the RSPCA. :D

One of my current dogs gets anxious if I go out and messes in the house so goes in a crate. The other dog just lays down beside the crate.

I'm not a fan of large dogs. I friend of mine got her nose broken by her great dane, who was a little too enthusiastic when greeting her.

My cousin visited the other day with his really big dog.
Must admit I found him a little scary at first. Absolutely lovely, though.

He went down the aisle at my cousins wedding - my nephew saw the pic and asked whether my cousin was blind.

I think keeping pets -- any pets -- is just plain weird.

(Maybe this is one for the unpopular opinions thread.)

Having had a man and a cat move into my flat, I am struggling a little with the whole notion as well if I'm honest. The cat is a lovely little creature but he just seems to demand food, do absolutely stinking shits and create more mess than I ever thought possible. I'm struggling to see the point of it all.

I actually agree with this. Albeit completely hypocritically, Or perhaps just comfortably weirdly.

Having had a man and a cat move into my flat, I am struggling a little with the whole notion as well if I'm honest. The cat is a lovely little creature but he just seems to demand food, do absolutely stinking shits and create more mess than I ever thought possible. I'm struggling to see the point of it all.
Having had a man and a cat move into my flat, I am struggling a little with the whole notion as well if I'm honest. The cat is a lovely little creature. But he just seems to demand food, do absolutely stinking shits and create more mess than I ever thought possible. I'm struggling to see the point of it all.
FTFY

Don't know if it's just a story I tell myself to justify late onset family and pet entanglement but despite now being a liker of my own company who barely has a moment to himself, I am of the view that we're designed to be members of irritating networks of commitments and responsibilities so this is in fact ideal living :D

I'm not keen on animals as pets, though I had hamsters, gerbils, fish and a cat as a kid.

Now -
I'm not much of a dog person.
I like cats, but I really dislike the way they murder wildlife.
Hamsters and things are very cute - but I don't believe animals belong in cages/tanks.

Far better to do what you can to support wild animals and attract them to your garden.

I'd like a goat as a pet but its not realistic, they need space and seem quite keen on goat business that doesn't involve me like eating clothes, headbutting things and climbing up cliffs to lick salt off the rocks.

Given our kids are making suggestions for a rodent of some kind (only real serious contenders would be a pair of rats or guinea pigs), following thread.

Re: neutering, tbf with cats it’s not just about your individual cat but both the other cats in the locale and the legions of as yet unborn cats.

So what makes something an acceptable pet? It strikes me that some animals that are currently not acceptable as household pets, for example sloths, would actually enjoy being pets. I might be wrong but certainly they don’t seem to be particularly interested in other sloths most of the time (other than for mating), and they also seem to quite enjoy contact with humans. Compare this with the aforementioned hamster. Or perhaps worse, birds kept in houses or cages – denied the chance to fly. How can that be anything other than cruel?
I think it has been answered that sloths would not be great pets, but the first thing to come to my mind is they only poo once a week :thumbs:;)

I feel like I can weigh in here, given I keep reptiles and arachnids and breed the former.

I'll write a longer reply later as I'm pushed for time right now but for me, it's about being able to replicate the animals environment and lifestyle in the wild but at home. This includes terrain, temperatures, food and range plus other factors. Some of this is piss easy for some reptiles and others, near impossible.

I'll give you a couple examples. I have a Salmon Pink birdeater tarantula, among others. Like almost all tarantulas, they have a very limited range and only ever roam in search of food. If they find a source of insects in the wild they'll dig a burrow and live there for the rest of their lives, happily snacking on cockroaches. Because I can provide everything it needs in the wild but in a domestic setting and assuming its female, I'm looking at 25 years or so lifespan for it as opposed to less in the wild which kind of proves that it does better as a pet.

Now snakes I fucking love but recently a disease swept through mine. There's a species that I love, the Green Anaconda. It gets to a minimum of 18ft and usually way over 20ft with weight and strength to match. It does need room to move around, both to replicate natural behaviour and to regulate body temps. It also needs a body of water to swim in, which basically means a swimming pool. There no way I can replicate any of that, and there's very few private keepers that could hence it being a fucking awful pet.

The reptile and arachnid pet sector used to be like the wild West. Unsuitable pets, like the green anaconda regularly sold, dodgy shops etc. I was offered a western diamondback rattlesnake once, no questions asked! Thankfully it's calmed down now through self policing by decent shops and breeders. The keeping of giant snakes is dying out and those that do are keeping them well. There's more work to be done for sure, but there always will be no matter the pet.
Someone I know used to foster reptiles when their owners were in hospital or prison or whatever and he has some stories! There was a caiman living in his bathroom at one point :eek:

I've been looking at my local reptile rescue place recently and I know I don't have the space or the experience for it but they have a massive tegu (called Chicken Wings :D) who I'd love to have as a pet.

Rats have lived alongside humans for a long time and are said to make excellent pets.
They do (the domesticated species anyway, maybe not wild rats), I've had many. And unlike hamsters they seem to form a bond with their keepers, and can answer to their name, and seek human attention. Also the average human habitat gives them plenty of space to run around in, unlike with a dog, but people seem quite queasy about keeping them for some reason.

I am growing to feel that there isn't a truly ethical way to keep pets, but agree you can mitigate it.

We have a bearded dragon who is lovely. He was rescued from somewhere with no electricity by my partner. Largely has the run of the house when were there and sits in the window for hours when he wants too. Obviously there is a lot he is missing, but the alternative was probably death so hopefully he'd be happy we took him on even if he can't really understand that emotion. Getting old now at 12+ and sadly will likely pass away in the nearish future. The lizard trade seems horrendous at times, but glad it has improved.

This thread has put me off rabbits. If we do get another animal then I feel that rescue is the only way. I have a feeling that I'd love old rescue dogs with just a couple of years left, but not sure at the moment on the viability of this.

I feel really sad about some of the animals I kept as a kid. Particularly a bird. :(

Someone I know used to foster reptiles when their owners were in hospital or prison or whatever and he has some stories! There was a caiman living in his bathroom at one point :eek:

I've been looking at my local reptile rescue place recently and I know I don't have the space or the experience for it but they have a massive tegu (called Chicken Wings :D) who I'd love to have as a pet.

Oh i adore tegus. Honestly if I wasn't already looking into a monitor lizard species, I'd be inclined towards a Tegu.

Back
Top Bottom