Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What makes a species an ok pet?

In the US people keep dogs in crates, often all day long while they are at work and then again at night. I fell out with someone over this, they kept two large dogs in crates only big enough for them to turn around.

In the US people keep dogs in crates, often all day long while they are at work and then again at night. I fell out with someone over this, they kept two large dogs in crates only big enough for them to turn around.

Wow I didn't know that was even a thing. :(

One of the reasons I've never had a dog is because I didn't think I could invest the time (or space) needed to have one. Cats are far more self-maintaining.

Dogs and cats stay by choice though. When I had a cat he always had a cat flap. He could leave whenever he wanted.

I think domestic dogs and cats can, and often do, live a good, happy life. Point about them being domesticated species is important as well. Poor things have smaller brains than their ancestors. They need us.
They do, but the book covers such issues with dogs and cats such as deliberately breeding pets with health problems eg. Rhodesian Ridgbacks have spina bifida - that's what the ridge is, owners being unable to afford care from a vet, animals left at home with little exercise, declawing in cats (it's an American book - most cats in the USA are kept indoors because there are predators to them and many are declawed), tail and ear docking, it's such a fun read!

They do, but the book covers such issues with dogs and cats such as deliberately breeding pets with health problems eg. Rhodesian Ridgbacks have spina bifida - that's what the ridge is, owners being unable to afford care from a vet, animals left at home with little exercise, declawing in cats (it's an American book - most cats in the USA are kept indoors because there are predators to them and many are declawed), tail and ear docking, it's such a fun read!
Yeah breeding animals with health problems is shite.

US seems to have a weird relationship with pets. They routinely de-scent gland ferrets as well, which is illegal here. Like they want some sanitised designer animal. :(

Dogs all seem to get cancers and breathing problems due to being fucked about with so much by humans so are pretty useless other than being a needy decorative mutant animal

So-called 'pedigree' ie. inbred dogs do for sure. Bulldogs get dodgy joints because they're built wrong. Pugs get breathing problems because their faces are all smashed in. Many insurers won't cover the vet bills for known breed malfunctions like these.

Yeah, the way they keep dogs in the US is really disturbing. There’s none of this ’must have x amount of exercise a day, can’t be left alone for more than 4 hours’ thing that dogs in the U.K. have.

Then again, around 50 kids die from being left in hot cars every year in the US

Rats have lived alongside humans for a long time and are said to make excellent pets.

Rats do make excellent pets. They like us, they eat anything, they're affectionate and quiet. You can take them anywhere. Downside is, a lot of people hate rats. Also, they pee all the time, which is pretty gross, but it's not much and they tend to keep it to the edges of the room.

Ferrets are even better, all the plusses of rats as well as being furry and cute. Even rat haters don't freak out too badly around a ferret.

Rats do make excellent pets. They like us, they eat anything, they're affectionate and quiet. You can take them anywhere. Downside is, a lot of people hate rats. Also, they pee all the time, which is pretty gross, but it's not much and they tend to keep it to the edges of the room.

Ferrets are even better, all the plusses of rats as well as being furry and cute. Even rat haters don't freak out too badly around a ferret.

Except ferrets are bloody terrifying. :eek:

I like ferrets, and they're another domesticated species so they're adapted to live with us. But I'm still a bit uneasy about the fact they need to be locked up for chunks of time.

From the pov only of the animal's wellbeing, I see no problem at all in principle with keeping cats or dogs, while keeping ferrets or rats seems ok if you're prepared to put in the effort. I guess that last point is true of most pet ownership - are you prepared to put in the effort required to give the animal(s) a good life?

Reactions: pug
I like ferrets, and they're another domesticated species so they're adapted to live with us. But I'm still a bit uneasy about the fact they need to be locked up for chunks of time.

From the pov only of the animal's wellbeing, I see no problem at all in principle with keeping cats or dogs, while keeping ferrets or rats seems ok if you're prepared to put in the effort. I guess that last point is true of most pet ownership - are you prepared to put in the effort required to give the animal(s) a good life?

One of the plus points to a ferret IMO is that you can basically carry them with you everywhere, they like riding in pockets. I've even seen people with them walking on leads (I guess till they get tired and hop onto a shoulder...)

One of the plus points to a ferret IMO is that you can basically carry them with you everywhere, they like riding in pockets. I've even seen people with them walking on leads (I guess till they get tired and hop onto a shoulder...)
And they're evidently pleased to see you. Dogs, cats (even if they may feign indifference), ferrets, rats. They're all capable of forming an attachment and being pleased to see you. Speaking purely from a selfish human-centred pov, that is part of what makes a species an ok pet.

Back
Top Bottom