Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is the meaning of the meaning of life?

We often hear people talk about “the meaning of life”. What does “meaning” mean in this context? What does “life” mean in this context? What is the meaning of the phrase “the meaning of life”?

The word “life” has several meanings. However, when people use the phrase “what is the meaning of life” they are not usually asking for a definition of the word “life”, they are asking a question of a different kind. What is the question that they are actually asking? Is it a proper question?

The word “life” has several meanings. However, when people use the phrase “what is the meaning of life” they are not usually asking for a definition of the word “life”, they are asking a question of a different kind. What is the question that they are actually asking? Is it a proper question?

Are you saying it's improper?

Life, oh life, oh life, oh life,
Doo, doot doot dooo.
Doo, doot dooo
I'm afraid of the dark,
Especially when I'm in a park
And there's no-one else around,
Oh, I get the shivers
I don't want to see a ghost,
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news
Doo, doot doot dooo.
Doo, doot dooo
I'm a superstitious girl,
I'm the worst in the world
Never walk under ladders,
I keep a rabbit's tail
I'll take you up on a dare,
Anytime, anywhere
Name the place, I'll be there,
Bungee jumping, I don't care!
Doo, doot doot dooo.
Doo, doot dooo
Life, doo, doot dooo
Doo, doot dooo
So after all is said and done
I know I'm not the only one
Life indeed can be fun, if you really want to
Sometimes living out your dreams,
Ain't as easy as it seems
You want to fly around the world,
In a beautiful balloon
Doo, doot doot dooo.
Doo, doot dooo

It's shorthand for a bundle of questions: What is the ultimate nature of the universe - and what bearing does that have on how we should live? How SHOULD we live? Is our existence random, or determined by some kind of being or purpose? Are there 'rules' that we can work out or discover?

It's not necessarily meaningless, just vague.

They're asking for purpose, because we all have egos that are a teeny bit fragile and might get blown by there not being purpose to being here.

The purpose of concrete is to build shit.

Next.

Reactions: PTK
It's shorthand for a bundle of questions: What is the ultimate nature of the universe - and what bearing does that have on how we should live? How SHOULD we live? Is our existence random, or determined by some kind of being or purpose? Are there 'rules' that we can work out or discover?

It's not necessarily meaningless, just vague.
Thank you.

Was that not what Wittgenstein said about religious experiences?
I read oft of this Wittgenstein,
Yea, in my younger days,
And what I read was half distaste,
And half again was praise,
And so I did bethink that I
Should take myself a look,
And read his rather short but dense
And dry, opinionated book,
But though I followed every claim,
For evidence, I do proclaim,
I found I had to search in vain,
And thus I therefore did decline,
To read much more of Wittgenstein.

I read oft of this Wittgenstein,
Yea, in my younger days,
And what I read was half distaste,
And half again was praise,
And so I did bethink that I
Should take myself a look,
And read his rather short but dense
And dry, opinionated book,
But though I followed every claim,
For evidence, I do proclaim,
I found I had to search in vain,
And thus I therefore did decline,
To read much more of Wittgenstein.
Is that one of yours Danny?

The question seems sufficient to have brought various interesting answers and discussions down the years so no entirely vacuous you'd say. Though I suppose definitions of interesting will also vary.

I'm not sure how concepts can have meaning; words have meaning insofar their meaning be understood by the parties communicating.

One may ask what the meaning is of the word “life”, perhaps.

I also gander that most who ask for the meaning of life, are rather asking for it's purpose.

Finally, I what is and isn't “alive” is often a matter of semantics — it is not as if the concept has a rigorous definition and endless debates are often had whether virus, are “alive” or not.

Back
Top Bottom