Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is the greatest service station?

Not actually been since the revamp but the one by Gloucester got a makeover and was apparently getting people making special trips to it. Same company as ran a lauded one in Cumbria, maybe Tebay but might have that wrong.

Service stations are supposed to be shit. Not sure why. Probably to make the rest of life seem not so bad. What's the point in a good one?

My local one does 95 unleaded for 1,20€ a litre. It has a nice little cafe which serves good snacks and coffee. It has Cruzcampo but not everything can be good.

I like Spanish petrol stations, they're so much better the UK ones.

Service stations are supposed to be shit. Not sure why. Probably to make the rest of life seem not so bad. What's the point in a good one?
A stop off in Gloucester on the way to the west Country is a pure joy, honestly. Where in most service stations people look tired and miserable as they trudge into the services to pay a fiver for a cup of shit coffee and a limp sausage roll, at Gloucester they skip merrily in with smiles on their faces to browse the sourdough loaves and unpasteurised British cheeses.

A stop off in Gloucester on the way to the west Country is a pure joy, honestly. Where in most service stations people look tired and miserable as they trudge into the services to pay a fiver for a cup of shit coffee and a limp sausage roll, at Gloucester they skip merrily in with smiles on their faces to browse the sourdough loaves and unpasteurised British cheeses.
Do they playfully roll a cheese down the verge, get with the local vibe?

If you're going somewhere you don't want to go, you might as well enjoy the pasty and the piss on the way there...

Tebay,Since it's family owned so much of its charm comes from the fact that it isn't part of a cookie cutter chain like the rest. The food is excellent and the farm shop which sells local produce is worth a visit. They have also a patisserie that is so good I'm not totally convinced they are not mixing crack in with the flour. It's one disadvantage is where it is but we always make sure to stop there if we've been to the Lake District or Scotland especially on the way back.
The rest of them well usually I just stop if I need a pee or am gasping for a coffee.

Ease of access plays a big part for me.

Which is why you should never go to Chieveley. Or is it Membury? Possibly both. Around and around about 3 miles off the motorway once you finally get there.

The answer is Tebay although I rarely use the M5 so never been to Gloucester. Of the big commercial ones, I quite like Warwick on the M40 or Cobham on the M25.

Ease of access plays a big part for me.

Which is why you should never go to Chieveley. Or is it Membury? Possibly both. Around and around about 3 miles off the motorway once you finally get there.

Definitely agree with this. Taunton Deane on the M5 is shit for this as is Donnington on the M1 which seems to add about an hour to your journey time just for a piss.

I haven’t been to Gloucester to compare, but Tebay is decent. Southbound is the better side, there’s an un-signposted road that links the two if you’re travelling north.

Apparently they also run Cairn Lodge on the M74 now. That was a complete dump when I stopped there a few years ago, so it’ll be interesting to see how much they’ve changed it next time I’m driving that way to Scotland.

They are all gash and in the interwebz days you should be ashamed at getting mugged off at the places when you can easily find much cheaper fuel and better everything else within a five minute drive of a junction. Unless you love fruit machines and massage chairs, of course.

They are all gash and in the interwebz days you should be ashamed at getting mugged off at the places when you can easily find much cheaper fuel and better everything else within a five minute drive of a junction. Unless you love fruit machines and massage chairs, of course.

People buy fuel at them?? :eek: I thought the pumps were just for show?

I’ve never bought fuel at Tebay, and their scotch eggs take some beating :D

Back
Top Bottom