Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is the biggest band named after a member who is no longer in the band?

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
After a fair bit of thought, the best answer I could come up with is Guns N' Roses - named for Tracii Guns, from back when his band LA Guns and Axl Rose's Hollywood Rose merged to create G'n'R.

Are there any other examples? I thought maybe Isabella "The Machine" Summers from Florence + The Machine, but Wikipedia tells me she is still a part of that outfit.

The Sun Ra Arkestra continued after Sun Ra's death in 1993, and I'm pretty sure it's still going today.
Saw it a few years ago ago so wouldn't be at all surprised. (Its members were very old then so imagine there've been a few changes in the line up since.)

Saw it a few years ago ago so wouldn't be at all surprised. (Its members were very old then so imagine there've been a few changes in the line up since.)
That must have been something - I've never seen them.

Looks like they are still going and still led by Marshall Allen who is less than two months away from his 98th birthday.

The Sun Ra Arkestra

Reactions: Sue
That must have been something - I've never seen them.

Looks like they are still going and still led by Marshall Allen who is less than two months away from his 98th birthday.

The Sun Ra Arkestra

It was. It was in Passing Clouds (RIP) and was their second show of the day which given the amount of energy they put into it, was pretty astonishing.

The Glenn Miller orchestra

Broke up in 1942, and Miller never left. Apart from that, spot on.
The original Glenn Miller Orchestra lasted from 1938 to 1942, when Miller joined the Army and the band disbanded. Miller was transferred to the Air Force and led the Army Airforces Band from 1942 until his disappearance in 1944.

In 1946 Miller's family put the Glenn Miller Orchestra back together with original saxophonist Tex Beneke leading the band (and a young Henry Mancini on piano). By 1950 Beneke was bored of playing the same songs with the same arrangements, so left to form his own band and the orchestra disbanded again.

Following renewed interest in Miller and his music after the 1953 film The Glenn Miller Story the orchestra was put back together again in 1956, this time led by Army Airforces Band drummer Ray McKinley. The band has continued with an ever changing line up since then.

It's a matter of perspective whether it's the same band - lots of bands go on hiatus and change members, occasionally continuing with none of the originals - or if it's an early example of a tribute act.

I was misreading the thread. I thought we were talking about sun ra’s arkestra playing in Sweden.
I heard jive bunny non stop for the early 90s or whenever it was. The beginning bars of swing the mood bring me out in Hives.
Better off with The Jesus and Mary Chain then...!

Back
Top Bottom