Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Underrated but essential band members..

Krist-Novoselic.jpg

The basslines on a lot of nirvana's stuff are very overlooked. He was very very good.

I saw Young Fathers last summer and there's a bloke who basically does everything except drum or sing. The 5 people up front are achingly cool and beautiful and even the drummer is all trendily standing up with tight top and tattoos.

This other guy though - he very rarely had a light on him and was never still; switching guitars, pushing buttons, playing keyboards etc. He looked like shit too - I mean he had a suit on but his was more Brilleaux than Bowie. He looked knackered and in need of bath tbh. I was standing over his side of the stage and became quietly convinced he was being kept prisoner like Jesse Pinkman.

only thing i can think to add is the first drummer Placebo had, Robert Schultzberg, was really good and gave the band a funkier energy, lacking in a lot of rock, making them that bit more special. I dont think they were anywhere as good without him....much more ploddy. Seems as if he stopped professional drumming after this too.

Top 5:

1. Marx, Adams, Avalanche and Hussey (yes, Hussey)

2. Peter Hook (by the rest of his band..)

3. Gerard Love

4. Will Heggie

5. Martin Duffy

I really like the very brief period of the Fall with Mike Leigh on drums. He played inside the music and allowed the others to flourish, if you listen to those records (Dragnet and Totale's Turn) everyone is doing something interesting. With Hanley and/or Burns on drums the sound is (generally) more mechanical.

The best line up is the even briefer period with Mike Leigh on drums and Yvonne Pawlet on keyboards. Nothing much ever became of either of them.

There are a few posts on this thread which have made me scratch my head, but this one is just bizarre.

McGeoch was widely recognised as a great guitarist at the time, and is now one of the most celebrated of his generation.
thats true amongst musos and music nerds - but a lot more people know Budgie, Steven Severin and Siouxie or Howard Devoto but have never heard of McGeoch. I wasnt really aware of him until recent years - depsite growing up with the music and really rating the guitar playing in magazine and his era of the banshees (didnt even know it was the same person).

thats true amongst musos and music nerds - but a lot more people know Budgie, Steven Severin and Siouxie or Howard Devoto but have never heard of McGeoch. I wasnt really aware of him until recent years - depsite growing up with the music and really rating the guitar playing in magazine and his era of the banshees (didnt even know it was the same person).
Fair enough. I wouldn't consider myself either a muso or a music nerd, but I'm aware of how well regarded McGeoch was/is as a guitarist among both his peers and those who came after.

Two examples off the top of my head - Siouxsie is on record as saying he was the best guitarist the Banshees ever had, and Johnny Marr was/is a huge fan.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I wouldn't consider myself either a muso or a music nerd, but I'm aware of how well regarded McGeoch was/is as a guitarist among both his peers and those who came after.

Two examples off the top of my head - Siouxsie is on record as saying he was the best guitarist the Banshees ever had, and Johnny Marr was/is a huge fan.

for sure - but its a bit like the motown house band, funk brothers (who i also listed) - plenty of musicans will know of them and rate them - especially bass player james jameson (paul mc cartney was a big fan of his for one) - but they are nowhere near as well known as the singers of the songs the arranged and played on or as the "classic" 60s rock bands.

He was the spirit of the band, or at least the bands spirt animal. Right from the start it's what the audience and journalists latched onto. He certainly contributed to their success and arguably their musical direction with his influence.
I think it's quite right to say that his role in the band was underrated.

When I was a teen heading out to watch the Happy Mondays, it was Bez & Shaun people wanted to see. Not the other static band mates. Bez set the pace and groove.

I sound like I'm a fan boy. I'm not. I liked a couple of early singles and two or three tracks off the second album. I think Bez and his dance drugs setting the pace and groove took them into a quite objectionable direction. . . . . But the people seemed to love it. Same as always.

He was the spirit of the band, or at least the bands spirt animal. Right from the start it's what the audience and journalists latched onto. He certainly contributed to their success and arguably their musical direction with his influence.
I think it's quite right to say that his role in the band was underrated.

When I was a teen heading out to watch the Happy Mondays, it was Bez & Shaun people wanted to see. Not the other static band mates. Bez set the pace and groove.

I sound like I'm a fan boy. I'm not. I liked a couple of early singles and two or three tracks off the second album. I think Bez and his dance drugs setting the pace and groove took them into a quite objectionable direction. . . . . But the people seemed to love it. Same as always.
Aye, he was like the cox in a rowing team.

Ignorant nonsense. He wrote, produced and sang. One of the most influential artists in the history of funk.
It’s not ignorant nonsense. I wasn’t criticising him. He’s a genius. He didn’t really play any instruments, but he provided direction and vibes on stage, hence the comparison with Bez

It’s not ignorant nonsense. I wasn’t criticising him. He’s a genius. He didn’t really play any instruments, but he provided direction and vibes on stage, hence the comparison with Bez
Sorry, no. If you had said Paul Rutherford, would agree. But GC is nothing like Bez. Not underrated at all.

Back
Top Bottom