Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What films are currently on your TO WATCH list?

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
So I maintain lists of films I want to see, what of it? And so I collect films from those lists that I then folder up and make additional lists prioritising what I will most likely watch, what of it again?

Anyway, help me refine things further by letting me know which are the really unmissable ones, and which ones I really can do without seeing. And whats' on YOUR list(s)?

Currently in my primary list:
  • American Insurrection (2021) - trashy resistance flick set in a near future dystopian America
  • Boy Kills World (2023) - silly action comedy
  • Calibre (2018) - spooky British psychological thriller
  • Challengers (2024) - sexy tennis
  • Chris The Swiss (2018) - animated biopic about Christian Würtenberg, the Swiss journalist murdered whilst undercover in the International Platoon fighting for the far-right Croatian militia HOS in the Yugoslav Civil War
  • Civil War (2024) - didn't get a chance to see it when it came out
  • Déjà Mort (1998) - was recommended to me by @upsidedownwalrus years back (cheers pal)
  • Diva (1981) - not seen it since a teen
  • Empire Of Dreams: The Story Of The Star Wars Trilogy (2004) - looks like undemanding but mildly pleasurable stuff
  • Frantic (1988) - I know, verboten, but I'm in the mood for an 80s Hitch-style thriller
  • Girlfriend's Day (2017) - Bob Odenkirk comedy about a burned-out greetings card writer given a second chance
  • Hardcore Never Dies (2023) - Dutch gabber comedy
  • I.D. (1995) - WE'LL KICK YER BLEEDIN' 'EADS IN!
  • In A Violent Nature (2024) - I don't know anything about it except the reviews really vibed
  • In China They Eat Dogs (1999) - Danish bank heist comedy
  • In The Fade (2017) - Diane Kruger tries to deal with guilt, loss, anger after a tragedy
  • Klute (1971) - the Lumet paranoia film I've seen the least, figure I should balance the books
  • Made In France (2015) - French journalist investigates radicalised youths
  • Richard III (1995) - saw it in the cinema and stuck with me: Ian McKellen as a 1930s Fascist dictator
  • Scream For Me Sarajevo (2017) - documentary about young Bosnians who managed to organise a Bruce Dickinson gig whilst their city was shelled during a civil war
  • Shotgun Stories (2007) - heard good things about this tale of familial feuding in rural Arkansas, the first collaboration between director Jeff Nichols and actor Michael Shannon
  • Sisu (2022) - spaghetti western-style revenge thriller set in wartime Lapland; I accidentally watched Blood & Gold thinking it was this, so I’m looking forward to finally getting round to catching it
  • Species (1995) - schlocky 90s SF horror creature feature, never seen it I don’t think, but it’s calling me now
  • Stranger's Kiss (1983) - fictionalised version of the drama behind the camera in the making of Kubrick’s early feature, Killer’s Kiss
  • Taking Sides (2001) - American denazification officer Harvey Keitel investigates German conductor Stellan Skarsgård in postwar Germany
  • The Act Of Killing (2012) - Joshua Oppenheimer’s experimental documentary about the bloody New Order period in Indonesia
  • The Nile Hilton Incident (2017) - noirish Egyptian detective tale with Fares Fares
  • The Settlers (2023) - a trio of gunslingers is hired for a shady pacification mission in late nineteenth century Chile
  • The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep (2007) - promised the kiddo we'd watch this Dick King-Smith adaptation (looks terrible)
  • The Iron Claw (2023) - biopic about a family of journeymen pro wrestlers in 80s America
  • The Look Of Silence (2014) - the companion piece to The Act Of Killing, with a focus on the family of a single victim and his killers
  • The Pigeon Tunnel (2023) - documentary film version of John le Carré's smoke-and-mirrors twilight years memoir
  • Wil (2023) - a Belgian cop walks the tightrope between resistance and collaboration in occupied Antwerp
  • World War III (2022) - caught the trailer for this Iranian thriller; looked absolutely bonkers but intriguing and original

And the secondary:
  • 22 Chaser (2018) - drama about a tow truck driver trying to make ends meet in Toronto
  • Beau Travail (1999) - Claire Denis’ Billy Budd-based tale of man-love set amongst a bunch of French Foreign Legionnaires in Djibouti
  • Captain Fantastic (2016) - comedy about a family of anarchists who have lived off-grid for a decade are forced by circumstance to reenter the regular world
  • Diên Biên Phu (1992) - I’ve seen Pierre Schoendoerffer’s epic, about the siege that precipitated the French departure from Indochina, before, but it would be good to have English subs this time
  • Kompromat (2022) - French film about an international worker in Russia being blackmailed by the FSB
  • Mandy (2018) - hyper-intense psychedelic horror revenge thriller, with Nicolas Cage putting in a full day of work if the reviews are to be believed
  • Master Gardener (2023) - not seen a Paul Schrader flick since The Walker, and this one has Joel Edgerton and Sigourney Weaver in it and is shopped as a crime thriller, so I figure I’m in
  • Monkey Man (2024) - Dev Patel goes John Wick
  • Path To War (2002) - Michael Gambon IS Lyndon Johnson! Alec Baldwin IS Robert McNamara ermmm…
  • Pig (2021) - another late period oddity from Nicolas Cage, here playing a truffle-hunter with a porcine pal
  • Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City (2021) - I came to the 2002 original late, and was pleasantly surprised; no idea how this franchise reboot with the younger sister from Skins will pan out though
  • Rhymes For Young Ghouls (2013) - I started watching this 70s-set story focusing on a bunch of First Nation kids living on a reservation ages back, and really enjoyed it, but for reasons I can’t remember I paused and never got back to it. Definitely time to give it another go
  • Screamers (1995) - I have a soft spot for this cheapo Philip K Dick adaptation from Canadian hack director Christian Duguay, it’s nice SF comfort food, and pessimistic as fuck
  • She Said (2022) - straight dramatisation of the reporters who exposed Harvey Weinstein
  • Silent Hill (2006) - another video game adaptation I never got round to seeing, even though I remember seeing the trailer on Front Row (god I loved you, Tiger) and being impressed enough to stick it on a list
  • Soeurs D’Armes (2019) - drama about the ISIS genocide of the Yazidis told as a war film focusing on an international Kurdish all-women fighting formation
  • The East (2020) - a young Dutch squaddie gets a short sharp shock in colonialism when he is deployed to Indonesia to put down a rebellion after WW2
  • The Final Days (1989) - Lane Smith (Perry White from Lois & Clark) as Tricky Dicky in what is sort of a sequel to All The President’s Men, in the sense it is based on the follow-up book by Woodward and Bernstein
  • The Secret Army (2024) - documentary about a lost 1972 documentary on the Provisional IRA; might be terrible as it’s presented by Darragh ‘brother of Donal’ MacIntyre
  • Utøya: July 22 (2018) - Norwegian drama about the Anders Breivik terror attack, portraying the summer camp massacre in real time; I’ve seen the Greengrass film which was very Greengrassy

And the outliers:
  • 600 Miles (2015) - arms buyer for a Mexican cartel duels with an ATF agent
  • Border (2018) - weirdos fuck-sounding Swedish film about a Neanderthal-looking customs officer with a heightened sense of smell she uses to sniff out drugs
  • Brother (1997) - young Afghan War veteran gets dragged into St Petersburg underworld shenanigans by his shady brother
  • Freedom (2023) - Romanian drama set against the backdrop of the 1989 revolution that ousted Ceausescu
  • Glorious (2022) - horror-comedy in which dumped man trips out after a supernatural experience in a service station toilet
  • Kill Your Darlings (2013) - period piece about the early years of the Beats
  • Lessons Of Darkness (1992) - Werner Herzog’s dreamy documentary/art movie about the burning oil fields of Kuwait after the Gulf War
  • Love Lies Bleeding (2024) - 80s-set neo-noir about star-crossed lesbian lovers taking on the Mob, and it’s not Bound
  • Marmalade (2024) - romance, gaol breaks, bank heists and severe manic pixie dream girl vibes
  • My Way (2011) - based-on-a-true-story war movie business, about a Korean man first press-ganged into the Japanese Army, then the Red Army, then the Wehrmacht
  • Sleeping Dogs (2024) - Russell Crowe as an ex-murder police with amnesia
  • Special Section (1975) - Costa-Gavras morality play, in which the Vichy government must supply some innocent (criminal) patsies to be executed in recompense when a German officer is killed
  • Stolen (2024) - Swedish revenge thriller about a Sami girl who witnesses her reindeer being killed by a poacher and I’ve started it but I hit a bump in the road dammit I just need to get back in the saddle on this
  • The Bricklayer (2023) - Aaron Eckhart’s campaign to offer a cheaper alternative to late period Neeson, Cusack or Willis continues apace, here taking on the role of “a disillusioned and hardened CIA field agent, [who] has moved on in life to become a bricklayer with a penchant for classical jazz” and aww shit it’s directed by Renny Harlin fuxxakes
  • The Flowers Of War (2011) - drama set against the backdrop of the Nanjing Massacre
  • The Lighthouse (2019) - that black and white one with Willen Dafoe and Robert Pattinson as a pair of lighthouse keepers
  • The Old Gun (1975) - in deepest Vichy France in 1944 a pacifist maquisard doctor must make tough choices
  • The Channel (2023) - standard bank-heist-goes-wrong high jinks, with a cast I’ve never heard of, but the haircuts look interesting
  • Uproar (2023) - New Zealand coming-of-age comedy-drama in which a mixed-heritage teen gets into political activism and makes a stand against the backdrop of the 1981 Springboks tour
  • Veteran (2015) - a hard-bitten police detective faces off again the spoiled scion of a powerful family in this (it says here) comedy-drama
  • Wander (2020) - conspiracy theories, private investigators, podcasting dickheads, a suspicious death, cover-ups, with Aaron Eckhart and Tommy Lee Jones

Lifeforce
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Cat People
Altered States
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
RRR
The Woman King
Hamlet (Branagh version)

Last edited:
Can highly recommend Silent Hill. One of the few decent video game adaptations for the big screen (at least until the recent Mario and Sonic movies).

I thought this had to be made up but no, no it's not. :(
  • The Bricklayer (2023) - Aaron Eckhart’s campaign to offer a cheaper alternative to late period Neeson, Cusack or Willis continues apace, here taking on the role of “a disillusioned and hardened CIA field agent, [who] has moved on in life to become a bricklayer with a penchant for classical jazz” and aww shit it’s directed by Renny Harlin fuxxakes
(If you replaced 'Aaron Eckhardt' with Steven Seagal' and 'classical jazz' with 'whale music'...well pretty sure that's actually already a film.)

I thought this had to be made up but no, no it's not. :(

(If you replaced 'Aaron Eckhardt' with Steven Seagal' and 'classical jazz' with 'whale music'...well pretty sure that's actually already a film.)
“TROWEL BE BACK!”

“This won't be the last stretcher you see today...”

“I guess you could say he has been... <beat> ...‘mortarly’ wounded”

“Is that a bullnose? Or are you just pleased to see me?”

(etc)

• Haha
Reactions: Sue
This is from my Alexa list, hence some interesting interpretations of film titles

1. bedknobs and broomsticks
2. private idaho
3. being john malkovich
4. encino man
5. children of the corn
6. clockwise
7. country
8. queen
9. usual suspects
10. existence
11. yonderland
12. el condor
13. memento
14. marcel the shell with shoes
15. joyride
16. master and commander the far side of the world
17. zone of interest
18. dagenham
19. mare of easttown
20. the secret genius of modern life
21. debs
22. phantom thread
23. portrait of a lady on fire
24. lighthouse
25. operation mincemeat
26. terrorvision
27. raising arizona
28. burn after reading
29. basketball
30. love
31. i need
32. roman holiday
33. it happened one night
34. the wedding banquet
35. wes craven's new nightmare
36. morning
37. moon
38. last night in soho
39. the wicker man original
40. twenty four hour party people
41. ladykillers
42. midsummer
43. eric the viking
44. this is spinal tap
45. mona lisa
46. requiem for a dream
47. big short
48. hachiko
49. white god
50. car
51. blue is the warmest color
52. lyle lyle crocodile
53. Young Sherlock
54. dirty rotten scoundrels
55. it follows
56. chaplin
57. unstoppable
58. lock with an e.
59. all is lost
60. dancer in the dark
61. godzilla minus one
62. Polite Society
63. constantine
64. Voir (netflix)
65. Velvet goldmine
66. barry lyndon
67. Jason and the Argonauts
68. Clash of the titans
69. Cloud atlas
70. in time
71. candy
72. Round The Twist
73. Lola rennt
74. do the right thing
75. under my skin
76. beautiful thing
77. black widow

So I maintain lists of films I want to see, what of it? And so I collect films from those lists that I then folder up and make additional lists prioritising what I will most likely watch, what of it again?

Anyway, help me refine things further by letting me know which are the really unmissable ones, and which ones I really can do without seeing. And whats' on YOUR list(s)?

Currently in my primary list:
  • American Insurrection (2021) - trashy resistance flick set in a near future dystopian America
  • Boy Kills World (2023) - silly action comedy
  • Calibre (2018) - spooky British psychological thriller
  • Challengers (2024) - sexy tennis
  • Chris The Swiss (2018) - animated biopic about Christian Würtenberg, the Swiss journalist murdered whilst undercover in the International Platoon fighting for the far-right Croatian militia HOS in the Yugoslav Civil War
  • Civil War (2024) - didn't get a chance to see it when it came out
  • Déjà Mort (1998) - was recommended to me by @upsidedownwalrus years back (cheers pal)
  • Diva (1981) - not seen it since a teen
  • Empire Of Dreams: The Story Of The Star Wars Trilogy (2004) - looks like undemanding but mildly pleasurable stuff
  • Frantic (1988) - I know, verboten, but I'm in the mood for an 80s Hitch-style thriller
  • Girlfriend's Day (2017) - Bob Odenkirk comedy about a burned-out greetings card writer given a second chance
  • Hardcore Never Dies (2023) - Dutch gabber comedy
  • I.D. (1995) - WE'LL KICK YER BLEEDIN' 'EADS IN!
  • In A Violent Nature (2024) - I don't know anything about it except the reviews really vibed
  • In China They Eat Dogs (1999) - Danish bank heist comedy
  • In The Fade (2017) - Diane Kruger tries to deal with guilt, loss, anger after a tragedy
  • Klute (1971) - the Lumet paranoia film I've seen the least, figure I should balance the books
  • Made In France (2015) - French journalist investigates radicalised youths
  • Richard III (1995) - saw it in the cinema and stuck with me: Ian McKellen as a 1930s Fascist dictator
  • Scream For Me Sarajevo (2017) - documentary about young Bosnians who managed to organise a Bruce Dickinson gig whilst their city was shelled during a civil war
  • Shotgun Stories (2007) - heard good things about this tale of familial feuding in rural Arkansas, the first collaboration between director Jeff Nichols and actor Michael Shannon
  • Sisu (2022) - spaghetti western-style revenge thriller set in wartime Lapland; I accidentally watched Blood & Gold thinking it was this, so I’m looking forward to finally getting round to catching it
  • Species (1995) - schlocky 90s SF horror creature feature, never seen it I don’t think, but it’s calling me now
  • Stranger's Kiss (1983) - fictionalised version of the drama behind the camera in the making of Kubrick’s early feature, Killer’s Kiss
  • Taking Sides (2001) - American denazification officer Harvey Keitel investigates German conductor Stellan Skarsgård in postwar Germany
  • The Act Of Killing (2012) - Joshua Oppenheimer’s experimental documentary about the bloody New Order period in Indonesia
  • The Nile Hilton Incident (2017) - noirish Egyptian detective tale with Fares Fares
  • The Settlers (2023) - a trio of gunslingers is hired for a shady pacification mission in late nineteenth century Chile
  • The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep (2007) - promised the kiddo we'd watch this Dick King-Smith adaptation (looks terrible)
  • The Iron Claw (2023) - biopic about a family of journeymen pro wrestlers in 80s America
  • The Look Of Silence (2014) - the companion piece to The Act Of Killing, with a focus on the family of a single victim and his killers
  • The Pigeon Tunnel (2023) - documentary film version of John le Carré's smoke-and-mirrors twilight years memoir
  • Wil (2023) - a Belgian cop walks the tightrope between resistance and collaboration in occupied Antwerp
  • World War III (2022) - caught the trailer for this Iranian thriller; looked absolutely bonkers but intriguing and original

Sisu is lots of fun. :thumbs:

Pan’s Labyrinth has been on my “to watch” list for years since I first heard good things about it. But it’s elusive and the closest I got was watching about a third before Prime Video geoblocked me.

I found it on flixtor.ch but it’s not available on a free account and I’m tight fisted and refuse to pay for stuff. One day I’ll catch up with that movie! Will be very disappointing if it’s no good 😄

This is from my Alexa list, hence some interesting interpretations of film titles

1. bedknobs and broomsticks
2. private idaho

3. being john malkovich
4. encino man

5. children of the corn
6. clockwise
7. country (1984?)
8. queen
9. usual suspects
10. existence (eXistenZ?)

11. yonderland (TV show?)
12. el condor
13. memento
14. marcel the shell with shoes
15. joyride
16. master and commander the far side of the world
17. zone of interest
18. dagenham
19. mare of easttown (TV show?)
20. the secret genius of modern life (TV show?)
21. debs
22. phantom thread
23. portrait of a lady on fire
24. lighthouse
25. operation mincemeat
26. terrorvision
27. raising arizona
28. burn after reading

29. basketball (BASEketball?)
30. love
31. i need
32. roman holiday
33. it happened one night
34. the wedding banquet
35. wes craven's new nightmare
36. morning
37. moon
38. last night in soho
39. the wicker man original
40. twenty four hour party people
41. ladykillers (the original I hope!)
42. midsummer

43. eric the viking
44. this is spinal tap
45. mona lisa
46. requiem for a dream
47. big short

48. hachiko
49. white god
50. car (Cars???)
51. blue is the warmest color
52. lyle lyle crocodile
53. Young Sherlock
54. dirty rotten scoundrels
55. it follows

56. chaplin
57. unstoppable (Denzel & Chris Pine?)
58. lock with an e.
59. all is lost
60. dancer in the dark
61. godzilla minus one
62. Polite Society
63. constantine
64. Voir (netflix)
65. Velvet goldmine
66. barry lyndon

67. Jason and the Argonauts
68. Clash of the titans

69. Cloud atlas
70. in time
71. candy
72. Round The Twist (TV show?)
73. Lola rennt
74. do the right thing

75. under my skin
76. beautiful thing

77. black widow
SEEN
WOULD LIKE TO SEE
FFS
:D

SEEN
WOULD LIKE TO SEE
FFS
:D

I just worked out that Car was one of my attempts to add Tar, which I have now seen half of and gave up on due to boredom.

Really don't know what "country" and "I love" were supposed to be.

A lot of them I have already seen, but want to rewatch, or watch with my GF or daughter. I think my daughter would love Round the Twist (have you ever, ever felt like this?)

I just worked out that Car was one of my attempts to add Tar, which I have now seen half of and gave up on due to boredom.

Really don't know what "country" and "I love" were supposed to be.
As long as it wasn't Cars, which I watched far too many times when #1 was young (still, could be worse - could've been Planes :mad: )

This is one of the tabs of my spreadsheet (there are some tabs for specific genres, but this is a general tab)

I tend to make a note of the title but then forget exactly why I wanted to see them. I might have seen some of these a few decades ago so want to rewatch (eg Adaptation since spending some time in Florida er 11 years ago) or quite possibly have seen recently and not updated the list!

12 monkeys
8 1/2
8 mile
A foreign affair
A hen in the wind
A most violent year
a star is born which version?
a touch of zen
adaptation
Alfie
Alice Adams
American honey
american splendor
An autumn afternoon
And if we should meet again
And the heavens above us
andrei rublev
Annie hall
Au revoir Les enfants
Ball of fire
battleship potemkin
Beau travail
Between yesterday and tomorrow
Birdman of Alcatraz
Black swan
blackboard jungle
blood diamond
Blum affair
booksmart
brokeback mountain
buena vista social club
bugsy malone
bull durham
cabaret
chicken run
city lights
City of lost children
Come and see
Confidential report
control
crouching tiger hidden dragon
Cruising
Cry macho
Daughters of the dust
Delicatessen
dig!
Django unchained
Dodge city
dont look back
downfall
earth
Easy riders raging bulls
el cid
end of the century
enter the dragon
etoir et avoir
fantasia
Film without a title
fireworks wednesday
Five easy pieces
Forrest Gump
gangs of New York
Get carter
Get out
godfather 3
gold
goodbye Charlie bright
Goodbye Christopher Robin
Gorky park
grave of the fireflies
grease
hamlet
Hannah & her sisters
Heartlands
heathers
high noon
hoop dreams
house of flying daggers
How green was my valley
I was a male war bride
i'm not there
Ikiru
in the name of the father
In those days
It happened one night
ivan the terrible
ivansxtc
Jackie brown
jailhouse rock
jerry maguire
Justified
Kanal
kids
la dolce vita
la la land
Last year at mariebad
Late spring
Le petit soldat
Leave no trace
lolita kubrick
Long is the road
Lost command
Love ‘47
M
Make way for tomorrow
malcolm x
Man with a movie camera
Manchurian candidate
Mank
Marriage in the shadows
mccabe and mrs miller
meet me in st louis
metropolis
Michael Collins
midnight cowboy
midnight express
Millions like us
Modern times
Monkey business
Moonlight
Morituri
Morning glory
my fair lady
my neighbor totoro
Natural born killers
new Batman films
Nixon
Nuit et brouillard
Odd man out
oliver!
olympia
once upon a time in china
ong-bak
Paris Texas
persepolis
planet of the apes
point break
police story
prime of miss jean brodie
Queen & country
raging ball
Rashomon
Razzia / raid
red dawn
red river
Red rocket
rob roy
Roman holiday
rumble fish
SAN Demetrio London
saturday night fever
See how they run
Seven
seven days in May
Seven samurai
Shoah
Shop on the corner
shutter island
singing in the rain
slap shot
Sleepers
Sneakers
Someone to watch over me
Somewhere in Berlin
spirited away
spring fever
Street acquaintances
sunrise a song of two humans
surviving Picasso
The apartment
the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
The awful truth
The battle of San pietro
The Berliner
the bounty
the cabinet of dr caligari
the conformist
The crew of the Dora
The cruel sea
The damned United
the diving bell and the butterfly
The edge of the world
the elephant man
The fall of Berlin
the fallen idol
The fighter
the firm
The girl with a bracelet
the great beauty
The hateful eight
the hit
the hustler
the Irishman
the iron giant
The last illusion
The leopard
The life and death of Peter sellers
The limey
the lodger
The lost daughter
The lost one
The machinist
The Manchurian candidate
the matrix
The murderers are amongst us
The nice guys
The original sin
The outsiders
the passion of joan darc
the plot against America
the raid
The search
The set up
The special relationship
the tale of the fox
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
The train
the umbrellas of cherbourg.
The wanderers
the wild bunch
The wild one
the wind
The wind that shakes the barley
the wrestler
thirty two short films about glenn gould
this sporting life
tommy
top secret
touki bouki
tropic thunder
Twentieth century
Tyrannosaur
Und weider 48
up
waltz with bashir
war dogs
we need to talk about kevin
west side story
Witness for the Prosecution
yellow submarine
yojimbo
Z
Zero hour 1977
A place in the sun
Peyton place
Duel in the sun
The American friend
Midnight run
The seventh seal
Drive my car
Shoplifters
Libelled lady
Saboteur
Mrs Parker and the vicious circular
Wild river

I’ve just realised I’ve got a list of my own that I started three years ago and haven’t updated in about two.

Uncut Gems
Vice
A Fat Wreck documentary
Ad Astra
The Keeper
Apollo 11
Aniara
Man on Wire
The Act of Killing

This is one of the tabs of my spreadsheet (there are some tabs for specific genres, but this is a general tab)

I tend to make a note of the title but then forget exactly why I wanted to see them. I might have seen some of these a few decades ago so want to rewatch (eg Adaptation since spending some time in Florida er 11 years ago) or quite possibly have seen recently and not updated the list!
Obviously, because we are all list people here, there is never just one list.

Here's my in chronological order list:

Code:
FILMS to WATCH - MASTERLIST
Chronologically & alphabetically sorted

Black Fury (1935) - American crime film

High Sierra (1941) - Bogey leads a jewel heist

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp (1943) - Archers classic

Dillinger (1945) - Roaring Twenties gangster biopic

No Orchids For Miss Blandish (1948) - British gangster film

Impact (1949) - noir thriller
Riso Amaro AKA Bitter Rice (1949) - crooks on the lam plan their next job

Decision Before Dawn (1951) - war’s-end drama
Pool Of London (1951) - Ealing thriller about a smuggler on the lam for a murder he didn't commit

Deadline - USA (1952) - hack Bogey battles hoods
Jeux Interdits AKA Forbidden Games (1952) - kids try to survive WW2

Battle Cry (1955) - WW2 USMC melodrama
Desperate Hours (1955) - Bogey escapes prison and plans to kill
The Ship That Died Of Shame (1955) - British naval veterans turn to smuggling

The Quiet American (1958) - American spook in Indochina

Ballad Of A Soldier (1959) - Soviet soldier returns home
Die Brücke AKA The Bridge (1959) - teenage conscripts try to repel American advance

The Creation Of The Humanoids (1962) - nuclear holocaust survivors create cyborgs
War Hunt (1962) - war is hell on Korean front line

Blood Feast (1963) - American splatter film.
The Victors (1963) - ever-dwindling US army unit staggers towards war’s-end

Seven Days In May (1964) - political thriller film about a military-political coup
Suna No Onna AKA Woman In The Dunes (1964) - Japanese bug hunter meets woman
The Americanization Of Emily (1964) - cynical US sailor meets stoic Englishwoman

Alphaville (1965) - noir about government agent sent on mission to futuristic dystopia
None But The Brave (1965) - American and Japanese soldiers battle on remote island

Blow Up (1966) - photographer faces mystery in Swinging London
Le Deuxième Souffle AKA The Second Wind (1966) - gritty French gangland drama
The Professionals (1966) - Western about American mercenaries in Mexico
Objectif 500 Millions (1966) - OAS veteran plans heist

How I Won The War (1967) - WW2-set black comedy

Deadfall (1968) - British neo noir crime film with Michael Caine directed by Bryan Forbes
Madigan - (1968) - Don Siegel hard boiled detective drama

Le Cercle Rouge (1970) - Paris crime story
Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) - sexy bloodsucking horror
Entertaining Mr Sloane (1970) - weird black comedy
Uomini Contro (1970) - Italian anti-war film set on WWI Alpine Front

$ / The Heist (1971) - screwball comedy
The Devils (1971) - Ken Russell historical drama horror
Wake In Fright (1971) - teacher is marooned in Australian backwater hellhole
Welcome Home, Soldier Boys (1971) - Nam veterans go on a road trip
Year Of The Yahoo! (1971) - country & western singer persuaded to campaign for office

A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die (1972) - Western Dirty Dozen
Across 110th Street (1972) - cops chase killers who ripped off the Mob
All Coppers Are... (1972) - London cop and crook vie for the same woman
Doomwatch (1972) - eco-activists investigate industrial pollution
Night Of The Lepus (1972) - mutated rabbits cause mayhem in Arizona

Day Of The Dolphin (1973) - George C Scott’s dolphins are to be assassinated
La Planete Sauvage (1973) - adult animation about future revolution
Manson (1973) - documentary about The Family
The Blockhouse (1973) - forced labourers trapped after Allied bombing
The Last Of Sheila (1973) - Anthony Perkins/Stephen Sondheim-penned whodunnit

Black Godfather (1974) - blaxploitation gangster thriller
The Gambler (1974) - academic struggles with gambling addiction
Stone (1974) - Aussie bikies fight back after witnessing a political assassination

The Devil's Rain (1975) - supernatural horror with satanic nutters
La Guerre Du Pétrole N'aura Pas Lieu (1975) - Moroccan oil industry conspiracy thriller
The Man In The Glass Booth (1975) - Mossad abduct a rich New Yorker
Night Train Murders (1975) - Italian revenge horror
Pure Shit (1975) - documentary-like drama following a bunch of Melbourne junkies
Sunday Too Far Away (1975) - revolting sheepshearers band together against bosses
White House Madness (1975) - satire on Nixon’s Watergate-afflicted White House

Death Weekend (1976) - Canadian horror/thriller with locals terrorising incomers
The Devil’s Playground (1976) - Australian new wave coming-of-age story
Don’s Party (1976) - bourgeois Aussie election night dinner party shenanigans
Duelle (Une Quarantaine) AKA Twhylight (1976) - experimental fantasy-drama
Sky Riders (1976) - hang-gliding circus performers attempt antiterrorist hostage rescue

The American Friend (1977) - Tom Ripley with Dennis Hopper
Backroads (1977) - early Philip Noyce-directed raw Aussie road movie

The Brink’s Job (1978) - Friedkin-directed caper comedy with Peters Falk & Boyle et al
Newsfront (1978) - post-war TV boom threatens newsreel cameraman’s livelihood

Breakthrough AKA Sergeant Steiner (1979) - ersatz Cross Of Iron sequel with Mitchum
The Odd Angry Shot (1979) - Vietnam War comedy through the eyes of Aussie SAS
Over The Edge (1979) - youth-gone-wild coming-of-age tale set in boring suburbia
Quintet (1979) - post-apocalyptic SF by Altman with Paul Newman
Stalker (1979) - mysterious guide leads explorers through wasteland in Soviet SF
Winter Kills (1979) - JFK assassination satire with Jeff Bridges
Zulu Dawn (1979) - Battle of Isandlwana

Cannibal Apocalypse (1980) - Italian horror, Nam vets return home & spread virus
The Club (1980) - Australian
In God We Tru$t (1980) - Marty Feldman pokes fun at American televangelists
HealtH (1980) - health food-based political lobbying satire
Kojak Budapesten (1980) - Hungarian rip-off of American cop show
Little Darlings (1980) - two teenagers from different backgrounds come of age at camp
My Bodyguard (1980) -
Times Square (1980) - teen runaways in New Wave New York

Deadly Blessing (1981) - Wes Craven horror
The Funhouse (1981) - Tobe Hooper amusement park slasher
Inchon (1981) - xxx
Road Games (1981) - Australian

Attack Force Z (1982) - xxx
Heatwave (1982) - Australian true-crime inspired thriller
Megaforce (1982) - xxx
Monkey Grip (1982) - Australian
Les Petites Guerres AKA Little Wars (1982) - Lebanese Civil War
Turkey Shoot (1982) - Australian
Wrong Is Right (1982) - comedy-thriller about TV reporter drawn into nuclear conspiracy

2019 After The Fall Of New York (1983) - Mad Max ripoff
Copkiller (1983) - xxx
The Return of Captain Invincible (1983) - Australian
Testament (1983) - xxx
Warrior Of The Lost World (1983) - xxx
Yellowbeard (1983) - pirate breaks out of prison and seeks treasure

La Balance AKA The Nark (1984) - French crime drama
Firstborn (1984) -
Grandview, USA (1984) -
Lassiter (1984) - xxx
Overdrawn At The Memory Bank (1984) - xxx
Razorback (1984) - Australian
Runaway (1984) - shlocky Michael Crichton-penned Blade Runner clone
Special Effects (1984) - Larry Cohen

Better Off Dead (1985) -
Cocaine Wars (1985) - xxx
Fever Pitch (1985)
The Good Father (1985) - British divorce drama
Guinea Pig 2: Flowers Of Fresh And Blood (1985) - xxx
Heaven Help Us AKA Catholic Boys (1985) - xxx
Miami Supercops (1985) - xxx
The Sure Thing (1985) -
Des Terroristes À La Retraite AKA Terrorists In Retirement (1985) - doc about FTP-MOI

Comrades (1986) - xxx
Dogs In Space (1986) - Australian
Lucas (1986) -
Native Son (1986) -
One Crazy Summer (1986) -
Riders Of The Storm (1986) - Nam vets hijack a B29 to broadcast peace propaganda
River’s Edge (1986) -
Tras El Cristal AKA In A Glass Cage (1986) - xxx
Wisdom (1986) - xxx

Amazing Grace And Chuck (1987) - kid/sport/nuclear nonproliferation
Dark Age (1987) - Australian
Deadline (1987) - Chris Walken as a TV journalist in Lebanon
Ground Zero (1987)
The Hidden (1987) - xxx
Hot Pursuit (1987) -
Ôritsu Uchûgun Oneamisu No Tsubasa AKA Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise (1987) - xxx
The Pick-up Artist (1987) - xxx
Rampage (1987)
White Of The Eye (1987) - xxx

Cop (1988)
Fresh Horses (1988) -
Kansas (1988) -
License To Drive (1988) -
Men Behind The Sun (1988) - xxx
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988) - Australian

Arena (1989) - xxx
The Blood Of Heroes (1989) - xxx
The Final Days (1989) - xxx
Nineteen 96 (1989) - xxx
Police State (1989) - xxx
Say Anything (1989) - teen romcom

1990 onwards:

Code:
A Cat In The Brain (1990) - Fulci giallo

Betsy’s Wedding (1990) - xxx

The Big Steal (1990) - Australian

Death In Brunswick (1990) - Australian

Invasion Force (1990) - xxx

Metropolitan (1990) - waffling bourgeoises

Police Crop: The Winchester Conspiracy (1990) - xxx

Two Evil Eyes (1990) - Romero/Argento horror anthology

The Pit And The Pendulum (1991) - Stuart Gordon does Edgar Allen Poe

Proof (1991) - Australian

Floundering (1992) - post LA riots comedy

Hors La Vie AKA Out Of Life (1992) - French journalist kidnapped in Lebanon

Light Sleeper (1992) - Willem Dafoe as a drug dealer, Paul Schrader directs

One False Move (1992) - crime thriller

Storyville (1992) - xxx

Bad Boy Bobby (1993) - Australian

Le Bunker De La Dernière Rafale AKA The Bunker Of The Last Gunshots (1993) - soldiers trapped in a bunker

Clean, Shaven (1993) - schizophrenic father seeks daughter back

Malice (1993)

Matinee (1993) - Joe Dante

Tallinn Pimeduses AKA Darkness In Tallinn (1993) - Estonian satirical political thriller

Aftermath (1994)

Lone Star (1996) - Texas lawman Chris Cooper investigates his predecessor’s murder

Set It Off (1996) - 4 women in LA plan a heist

The War At Home (1996) - xxx

Amnesia (1997) - xxx

The Castle (1997) - Australian

The Nightwatch (1997) - xxx

Welcome To Woop Woop (1997) - Australian

Amsterdamned (1998) - xxx

Déjà Mort (1998) - xxx

Head On (1998) - Australian

In The Winter Dark (1998) - Australian

Le Dîner De Cons AKA The Dinner Game (1998) - French farce

Sling Blade (1998) - Billy Bob Thornton-directed drama

Thursday (1998)

World War III (1998) - German alternate history pseudodocumentary

Zero Effect (1998) - weirdo private eye Bill Pullman

Doomwatch: Winter Angel (1999) - xxx

Erskineville Kings (1999) - Australian drama

The Last Seduction II (1999) - xxx

Random Hearts (1999) - corruption thriller/romcom collision

Two Hands (1999) - Australian

Almost Blue (2000) - xxx

Apocalyptic Adventure On The Eastern Frontier (2000) - xxx

Baise Moi (2000) - xxx

The Dish (2000) - Australian

Total Western (2000) - xxx

100 Days (2001)

Daddy And Them (2001) - xxx

Frailty (2001) - psychological thriller with Bill Paxton

Heist (2001) - Mamet crime drama

Ichi The Killer (2001) - sadomasochistic yakuza enforcer vs repressed psychokiller

Monster’s Ball (2001) - romantic drama

Novocaine (2001)

The Score (2001) - De Niro/Norton safecracking thriller

Silent Grace (2001)

Visitor Q (2001) - xxx

Après La Vie AKA After the Life (2002) - xxx

Cavale AKA On The Run (2002) - xxx

Un Couple Épatant AKA An Amazing Couple (2002) - xxx

Crackerjack (2002) - Australian

D-Tox (2002) - xxx

Lilja 4-ever (2002) - xxx

One Hour Photo (2002) - psychological thriller

The Tracker (2002) - Australian drama film/meat pie Western

11:14 (2003)

Forbidden Lie$ (2003) - Australian

Kontroll (2003) - comedy-horror about Hungarian metro fare-enforcer

Memories Of Murder (2003) - Korean murder investigation

Ni Pour Ni Contre AKA Not For, Or Against (2003) - xxx

Underworld (2003) - xxx

Silmido (2003) - South Korean Dirty Dozen train to assassinate Kim Il-Sung

I'm A Juvenile Delinquent, Jail Me! (2004) - xxx

Primer (2004) - a pair of scientists accidentally invent time travel

The Ice Harvest (2005)

River King (2005) - a cop, a friend and a teacher investigate a student’s death

A Sound Of Thunder (2005) - xxx

A Sunday in Kigali (2006)

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters (2007) - xxx

Better The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007) - Lumet's last

Boxing Day (2007) - Australian

Chrysalis (2007) - xxx

Le Deuxième Souffle AKA The Second Wind (2007)

La Fille Coupée En Deux (2007) - xxx

Flight Of The Living Dead (2007) - xxx

Koreatown (2007) - xxx

The Lookout (2007) - heist flick

Jetsam (2007)

Noise (2007) - Australian

Saddam's Tribe (2007) - xxx

Trick ‘R Treat (2007) - horror comedy anthology

Il Divo (2008) - political biopic about Andreotti

Gomorrah (2008) - grimy Neapolitan crime business

Just Another War (2008) - xxx

Largo Winch (2008) - xxx

Redbelt (2008) - martial arts film by Mamet with Chiwetel Ejiofor & Tim Allen

Revanche (2008) - Austrian crime/revenge thriller

Reykjavík-Rotterdam (2008) - Icelandic smuggling

Stop-Loss (2008) - Iraq War fallout with Ryan Philippe & Channing Tatum

Waltz With Bashir (2008) - Israeli adult animated war documentary drama

Autumn (2009) - xxx

Big Fan (2009) - sports fan Patton Oswalt suffers a tragedy

The Book Of Revelation (2009) - Australian

Fanboys (2009) - xxx

The Messenger (2009) - xxx

Black Swan (2010) - ballet

Djinns AKA Stranded (2010) - French soldiers attacked by djinn during a rescue mission

Hors-La-Loi AKA Outside The Law (2010) - maghrebi resistance to French colonialism

The Killer Inside Me (2010) - xxx

Morning Glory (2010) - older people romcom

Ironclad (2011) - xxx

Oslo August 31st (2011) - xxx

L’Affaire Dumont (2012) - French Canadian miscarriage of justice drama

Contraband (2012) - New Orleans smuggler

Get The Gringo (2012) - American thief ends up stuck in Mexican prison

The King Is Dead (2012) - Australian

Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning (2012)

American Milkshake (2013) - geeky white kid gets on his school basketball team

Oz The Great And Powerful (2013) - xxx

Upstream Color (2013) - experimental SF

The Way, Way Back (2013)

Wolf Creek 2 (2013) - Australian serial killer/horror sequel

99 Homes (2014)

The Clearstream Affair (L'Enquête) (2014)

Eden (2014)

Stretch (2014)

Tigers (2014) - based on the Nestlé whistleblower scandal

Veronica Mars (2014)

Macbeth (2015) - Fassbender does Shakespeare grittily

Sky (2015) - French couple falls apart on American vacation

Girl With All The Gifts (2016) - British post-apocalypse

Grave AKA Raw (2016) - French-Belgian coming-of-age horror drama

I Am Not A Serial Killer (2016) - supernatural psychological horror

King Cobra (2016) - biopic about gay porn star

The Limehouse Golem (2016) - serial killer panic in Victorian London

Crowhurst (2017) - based-on-true-story British yachting drama (1)

The Florida Project (2017) - kids come of age in cheap motel over summer

The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (2017) - psychological horror thriller

Logan (2017) - ageing superhero

The Mercy (2017) - based-on-true-story British yachting drama (2)

Mom And Dad (2017) - horror comedy

The Nile Hilton Incident (2017) - Egypt-set detective story

Sweet Country (2017) - Australian meat pie western/revenge thriller

Wake In Fright (2017)

The Work (2017) - documentary about group therapy at Folsom State Pen

The Mercy of the Jungle (2018)

Under The Silver Lake (2018)

Upgrade (2018) - cyberpunk body horror

Blue Story (2019) -

Dvēseļu Putenis AKA Blizzard Of Souls (2019) - 1917 Eastern Front war drama

The Farewell (2019)

Waves (2019)

Ya No Estoy Aquí AKA I’m No Longer Here (2019)

The Kid Detective (2020)

The New Mutants (2020) - X-Men-adjacent superhero horror

Wife of a Spy (2020)

Zola (2020)

C’mon C’mon (2021)

Licorice Pizza (2021) PTA drama about lives intersecting in 70s San Fernando Valley

No Sudden Move (2021)

Pig (2021)

Red Rocket (2021)

The Last Duel (2021) - Ridley Scott does medieval chivalry and violence

Bullet Train (2022)

Triangle Of Sadness (2022) - satire about class warfare on a luxury cruise

Vengeance (2022)

World War III (2022) - Iranian thriller

Black Snow (2023)

Enys Men (2023) - folk horror from Bait director

Inland (2023) - folk horror in Forest of Dean with Mark Rylance

Kill Boksoon (2023)

Killers Of The Flower Moon (2023) - Scorsese period drama about reservation murders

Law Of Tehran (2023) - tense Iranian crime drama with cop chasing down drug kingpin

Limbo (2023)

The Night of the 12th (2023)

Pamfir (2023) - weird Ukrainian

Reality (2023) - reconstruction of arrest of suspected NSA leaker Reality Winner

You'll Never Find Me (2024) - Australian horror

A quick one sentence summary is a good idea. Which obviously I will never do as there are hundreds of films to summarise and I can’t remember why I wrote them down - I’ll just learn the hard way when I want something easy for a Sunday afternoon and mistake Chicken Run for Come and See

Of course my lists only ever get longer. So to some extent its just watch at random or try and work through the list organically, perhaps pass on the list in my will for future generations to complete

A quick one sentence summary is a good idea. Which obviously I will never do as there are hundreds of films to summarise and I can’t remember why I wrote them down - I’ll just learn the hard way when I want something easy for a Sunday afternoon and mistake Chicken Run for Come and See

Of course my lists only ever get longer. So to some extent its just watch at random or try and work through the list organically, perhaps pass on the list in my will for future generations to complete
It's an ongoing work-in-progress, and hopefully will fit in with my main list, which is all the films I've watched, itself built off a spine of my list of films seen at the cinema, and my weekly blog of films seen anywhere (which gives me a solid 15+ years-worth). I'm trying to sequence everything so it all tapers in to a final LIST OF LISTS so I can free up some memory when I'm in my dotage.

Back
Top Bottom