Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

oddly a very good movie
the plots not real but the setting is slightly unnerving and an amazing for a young director

not surprised to find out he is algerian

oddly a very good movie
the plots not real but the setting is slightly unnerving and an amazing for a young director

not surprised to find out he is algerian

Algerian heritage, French citizen but describes himself as a Londoner.

It's a gripping, nightmarish film and great performance from Jack O' Connell.

Reactions: Ax^
The Bromley Boys.

Passable coming of age film set in Bromley, late 60s / early 70s.

Of interest to me as I grew up in the area though never went to watch them. A good deal of it seems to be of filmed on location too.

Reactions: Ax^
Schmigaddon! A parody musical comedy miniseries. I’ve already mentioned it in the Apple+ thread but have now finished and it deserves a further plug here.

Properly funny and uplifting, and without being corny as well. I love musical comedies so a cert winner for me, but even many of those who hate musicals should still enjoy this very much if they like well produced comedies at all. Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and with a very good cast, there really is much wrong with this.

Jimmy P: Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian - Went into this with some qualms, Benicio del Torro playing an Indian, and an expectation of lots of ACTING and big explosive dramatic scenes. I was totally wrong, a really well developed subtle character driven drama. There are not explosions, just two people talking and trying to communicate. del Toro and Mathieu Amalric are both good in the two central roles and the supporting performances are good too. Definitely recommended.

The 10th Victim - Elio Petri's sci-fi satire. At a quick 92 minutes it just about worked, although it did feel very 60s, all consumers needing new "entertainment", etc. There is a lot of running around which you feel could be reduced. Mastroianni was as good as usual. Not quite sure about Andress, she's not terrible but did not seem to have the charisma the role needed.

Maso and Miso go Boating - A group of French female directors re-edit talk show discussing the year of the woman in 1975. The misogyny of the host and most guest is clear and shocking, with the French Minister for Women being forced/participating in it. 55 minutes is probably stretching it, could lose 10 minutes but worth a watch.

Siege (aka Self Defence) - Canadian exploitation film, which uses the background of the real 1981 Halifax police strike as plot background. With the strike on a bunch of fascists decide to beat up people in a gay bar, things spiral out of control, some gets killed and the survivor makes a break for it and takes refuge with a bunch of sort of counter-cultural types. The fascists then decide they have to kill everyone in the building to stop them talking, so it is a fight to the death. It's schlocky and obviously very cheap budget but has some definite originality and a (reasonably coherent) political point.

I love The 10th Victim, by far my favourite of the 60s mod/pop art sci-fi movies but yeah, Andress was never much of an actress. Monica Vitti, who starred in the similar but inferior Modesty Blaise, would have been great.

Gunda - wordless, musicless, titleless black and white documentary of farm animals just existing. It’s intended to promote vegetarian ism. It will probably not convert anyone, but it’s a beautiful engaging film all the same. There are cows standing head to tail in pairs so they can swat flies off each other’s faces. There’s a curious one-legged chicken cautiously exploring a new environment. But it’s mostly about a sow and her litter of piglets, including a poor little runt that gets stood on and limps for the rest of the film. You almost get to know the huge litter individually - some have sticky up ears, some floppy, some have patches on their faces, so you do get to love them all, so the inevitable separation of the litter from their mother is heartbreaking to watch, esp when we’re left with the mother alone, confused and distressed, wondering where all of her children have gone.

5 bacon sandwiches out of 5

Watched Palm Springs, a timewarpy comedy with miladdo from Brooklyn 99 in it. Great cast, enough mild curveballs to keep things interesting, some genuine big laughs, and an obvious but touching cinematic treatise on the ultimately doomed wonder of relationships. Recommended
yeah, i was quite surprised at how good it was. funny and clever and a surprisingly singular take on the whole Groundhog Day thing

I've started 3 TV series and gave up on each after a few episodes, Loki, Superman and Lois (with that one I didn't even make it through the first episode) and Katla. I think turning into ATOMIC SUPLEX. :(

I’m going to say this and to hell with the haterz. Cruella is actually pretty good. The performances of the two main leads, Emma Stone and Emma Thompson, are fantastic; the latter one in particular is sublime. That alone makes the film worth checking- though not necessarily paying £20 to do so.

For those interested in fashion and/or production values, the film actores highly in that department too. The dress designs must be as cert an Oscar winner as you’ll ever likely see.

I’m going to say this and to hell with the haterz. Cruella is actually pretty good. The performances of the two main leads, Emma Stone and Emma Thompson, are fantastic; the latter one in particular is sublime. That alone makes the film worth checking- though not necessarily paying £20 to do so.

For those interested in fashion and/or production values, the film actores highly in that department too. The dress designs must be as cert an Oscar winner as you’ll ever likely see.
Didn’t notice any “haterz” here, most of us liked or at least didn’t mind it. Cruella 'action comedy' 'set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution

Rubber - Look at us we're doing a schlocky bloody horror movie with a watchers watching the watchers theme, aren't we all meta and crazy! No you're just shit.

The Prostitutes of Lyon Speak - 1975 documentary interviews. Despite being almost half a century on much of it feels absolutely relevant to today. Perhaps the bit that feels the most dated (unfortunately) is how the women recognise that their struggle is part of the class struggle. Well worth watching.

Jessica Forever - peculiar debut feature, about near day dystopian where a young woman rescues orphan boys (really young men I guess) and tries to save them from their violent pasts and from the authorities. Credit to the ambition of the first time directors, they don't really pull it off. There is plenty of style and some effective moments but a lack of characterisation and confusion mean that the end result does not quite live up to the promise. Still a ambitious and interesting first effort.

Paranoid Park - Gus van Sant doing teenage alienation. Maybe I just was not in the right mood, or just seen too much of this thing but while it is all put together well I just didn't really get into it.

After Dark My Sweet - Neo-noir adaptation of a Jim Thompson novel, a pretty good effort but it just feels a little flat. I've not read the book but despite working very hard the film does not capture the real weirdness of Thompson's world.

The Human Factor - Otto Preminger's last film, an adaptation of the Graham Greene novel. load of old British darlings turn up - Gielgud, Attenborough, Jacobi - as well as Iman (who's better than you might think). It's not going to dazzle you but it is very solid at what it does.

Bad Moon, a werewolf film from 1996. I'd never heard of it, it got poor reviews when it came out and then was quickly forgotten about but recently it has been mentioned on a couple of horror movie podcasts I listen to, as being the most underrated of werewolf movies. The fact that it was written and directed by Eric Red, who wrote The Hitcher and Near Dark, also made me want to check it out.

While no classic along the lines of American Werewolf In London or The Howling, this is good fun. Summed up in one sentence it's Lassie Meets The Werewolf, as the hero of the film is a dog (a German shepherd) who is the first to suspect something is wrong with one of the three main characters and then goes up against the werewolf to protect his human family. Mariel Hemingway, still most famous from Manhattan, is ok as the lead, a single mom living with her young son in a house in the woods. The real star here are the special effects, the werewolf itself is very impressive, one of the best put on the screen and apart from a brief, dodgy looking CGI transformation scene, the film relies entirely on practical effects. It's gory, moves along at a swift pace and doesn't outstayed its welcome at 81 minutes.

MV5BODZmZGU3MjktZGUyMi00Njc5LWFkMjgtNTQyMDA5ODI4NTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom