Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Watching the new HBO dark comedy-drama miniseries White Lotus. Set in a hotel in Hawaii where something bad has happened, we get to discover the story and know the aloof characters in the week leading to it.

Not fantastic but good enough to merit watching it imo. Think a more luxurious version of the Fawlty Towers hotel but with characters far more fucked up, and darker themes.

Watching the new HBO dark comedy-drama miniseries White Lotus. Set in a hotel in Hawaii where something bad has happened, we get to discover the story and know the aloof characters in the week leading to it.

Not fantastic but good enough to merit watching it imo. Think a more luxurious version of the Fawlty Towers hotel but with characters far more fucked up, and darker themes.

Just finished this and really enjoyed it. Liked that I could only watch one per week.

Have got hold of two episodes Reservation Dogs to watch which is getting decent reviews.

The China Syndrome.

Now started to plough through the Blakes 7 boxset. The whole things runs for 2,615 minutes so it may take me a while...

Started Brand New Cherry Flavour, a kind of David Lynch inspired tale from early 90s Hollywood. Looks great, some familiar faces including 90s indie film icon Catherine Keeler . Weird, in a good way.

Started Brand New Cherry Flavour, a kind of David Lynch inspired tale from early 90s Hollywood. Looks great, some familiar faces including 90s indie film icon Catherine Keeler . Weird, in a good way.
As she is iconic, it's Catherine Keener. ;)

Will get round to this at some point because Nick Antosca was also the creator Channel Zero, an excellent horror anthology series similar in format to American Horror Story but far superior.

Censor. Had high hopes for this. It starts out as a potentially interesting plot relating to video nasties and 80s censorship but becomes a missing persons story with some terrible dialogue. I'm yet to be convinced by Niamh Algar whose accent slipped out a few times and I can't help but think she looks a bit like Samantha Morton but not as good. Bit of a let down really.

Censor. Had high hopes for this. It starts out as a potentially interesting plot relating to video nasties and 80s censorship but becomes a missing persons story with some terrible dialogue. I'm yet to be convinced by Niamh Algar whose accent slipped out a few times and I can't help but think she looks a bit like Samantha Morton but not as good. Bit of a let down really.
aah, I had hoped for this, may well still do it, depending what else is on. Niamh Algar is very good in Deceit, on C4 at the mo

Failed to show up to see Fast and Furious 9
so paid £15 to stream it at home. I had to watch it over the course of 48 hours, cos my attention wasn’t really grabbed by it but cos I paid to rent it, I <had> to finish it.
I have largely or totally ignored this franchise and its wider fast car action movie genre. (Loved Ronin from the 90s and a couple of the 70s ones but not much else).
However, I’d read some positive reviews on here, and, since my positive experience of watching another big block buster at the cinema in a genre I don’t usually care for - The Suicide Squad - I thought I’d give this one a chance instead of snobbishly dismissing without checking it out.
well, it’s shite and I didn’t understand the plot or the characters, not that it matters cos there’s a lot of preposterous car chases and action set pieces which I didn’t find very entertaining. I always struggle with action car chases, especially in cities, cos car crashes, explosions and mass death and injury are always treated like collateral damage and I always think of the poor non-combatant drivers and pedestrians (and even residents of buildings) and the first responders who have to deal with the carnage. Such reckless behaviour should never be condoned and depicting such scenes only furthers to encourage such antisocial, dangerous, destructive and selfish conduct should be banned outright.
1 overworked paramedic out of 5

Cemetery Junction, pleasant enough comedy nostalgic look at growing up in the 70s in “Reading” although none of it was filmed there. Even though I lived in Reading for over 20 years I hadn’t seen it and I used to live by the aforementioned junction for 5 of those years.

Decent cast of British actors. I had fun picking up on Reading references, and quite enjoyed the fact that two characters reminded me of people I knew who were Reading born and bred.

Only because of the hype round the anniversary, might be worth it for an overview of events in a big budget effort but of course very much official line.
Cheers, I kind of thought that was going to be the case but they just appeared on a certain torrent tracker and had half a mind of grabbing them

Alternately funny, bizarre and frustrating, Climate of the Hunter is considered the most accessible of outsider filmmaker Mickey Reece films so far, I haven't seen his previous ones. Two sisters, who live in the middle of nowhere, catch up with an old friend after a couple of decades when he comes to stay with them. Sexual tensions flare up and one of the sisters comes to suspect their guest may be a vampire after he coughs up a used tampon during dinner.

It takes its style from 70s B-movies and daytime soaps, the original Dark Shadows in particular looks like it was an influence. The acting is stilted on purpose and it's more camp than horror but there are enough laughs and oddball moments to make it worth a watch if you are prepared to go with it.

Reece's latest film Agnes, looks like it has a bigger budget and is a nunsploitation/possession film.

Last edited:
They're certainly going all in for the nostalgia market with their PR

Where is the Friends House?...Iranian film about s boy's quest to return his friend's exercise book which he has mistakenly taken home from school. A simple idea but absolutely gripping. Oustanding performance by the young lead. A masterpiece.

Shiva Baby. A Jewish girls meets with her sugar daddy at a funeral. Really fast paced and very funny. Also only 77 minutes long. Recommended.

Two similar things:

The White Lotus - great
Nine Perfect Strangers - shit
I wouldn’t describe Nine Perfect Strangers as anywhere near shit so far. I suspect the plot might become ludicrous but some of the characters and the performances alone make this a perfectly watchable series so far, if certainly nowhere near great.

Melissa McCarthy is fucking great in this imo :)

Back
Top Bottom