Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

2012: Effects-laden disaster movie that was far too long and full of cliches but not entirely terrible.

Continuing my current trend of spending my Saturday nights watching fucking atrocious films, last night I saw Solomon Kane.

Jesus fuck. How on earth did that get 83% on Rotten Tomatoes? Someone appears to have typo'd an 8 in there...

Toy Story 3....brilliant and very moving. I'm in agreement with Kermode on this..the Toy Story trilogy is the best trilogy in film history!

Layercake
Very good film
Surprised I have taken so long to watch this. Will need to be watched again I feel.

Second Evangelion Rebuild film.

Ok so now for sure it has departed from the original storyline. One fairly major surprise at only two films in (of five) Yipes. First film was shite and we had seen it all before, this one is much better but I think I am just too old/bored to really care enough to get enough excitement together for it.

skeletons - what an odd but pleasing find - a no-budget briish film about two oddballs who go around finding the skeletons in people's cupboards (their dakrest secrets) using antiquated technology. the two leads are excellent (a comic double act apparently), even though they resemble john digweed and andrew weatherall and jason isaacs is a surprise as their grumpy northern boss. it's well impressive as it's a truly original film and it was clearly put together with very little money. shame no one seems to know about it.

skeletons - what an odd but pleasing find - a no-budget briish film about two oddballs who go around finding the skeletons in people's cupboards (their dakrest secrets) using antiquated technology. the two leads are excellent (a comic double act apparently), even though they resemble john digweed and andrew weatherall and jason isaacs is a surprise as their grumpy northern boss. it's well impressive as it's a truly original film and it was clearly put together with very little money. shame no one seems to know about it.
other than me, and the awarders of the Michael Powell Award at the Edinburgh Film Festival. Mark Kermode likes it too.

e2a: some other fella watched it too, can't remember who now....

other than me, and the awarders of the Michael Powell Award at the Edinburgh Film Festival. Mark Kermode likes it too.

e2a: some other fella watched it too, can't remember who now....

yeah, i saw your review. just you and butchers and a couple of other mentions of it on here. saw a review in S&S too, but it deserves a much bigger audience.

"Storyville: Children of the Chinese Circus" about children at the Shanghai Circus School. Really quite depressing, such a culture of bullying, intimidation and, at times, humiliation from the top downwards.

Made me really appreciate what the kids have to go through in order to become acrobats and performers but I am not sure I would want to see the Chinese State Circus and support what came close, imo, to abuse.

yeah, i saw your review. just you and butchers and a couple of other mentions of it on here. saw a review in S&S too, but it deserves a much bigger audience.

That is very true. Nearly everyone I've made watch it really enjoyed it too.

Scanners: Cronenberg! Exploding head! Michael Ironside! Patrick McGoohan! "I'm gonna suck your brain dry!" Yay!

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide. Excellent three disc DVD set on the entire 80s video nasty controversy. Includes a feature length documentary and trailers with introductions by the likes of Kim Newman, Alan Jones and Stephen Thrower to all the 74 films on the list.

Back
Top Bottom