Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

i watched solaris again, this time on dvd and is was a much more rewarding viewing this time. the print they showed at the BFI was old and scratched and the subtitles appeared to be printed on dymo tape and were only partial. i actually think i understand what happened now. it's an extraordinary film. will go and see stalker next month. i'd like to see tarkovsky's earlier films on the big screen soon.
i'm in love with natalya bondarchuk now
i

Shinjuku Incident - A Jackie Chan movie without jokes or fighting. 1st half was good and gives a good insight to Chinese immgrant culture. Gets lost on the final 2nd. In fact it gets well shite. Terrible.

Caught up on some telly including the Top Gear episode from last night with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz.

If it's possible to love Cameron Diaz more, I definitely do after :D

Lourdes, a French/Austrian film about a severely disabled woman with MS who goes on a pilrgrimage to Lourdes, more because she wants to get away and because they are set up to look after disabled people there, rather then out of piety. Then a miracle does or maybe does not occur. I rather liked the style of the film, which is carefully composed mostly in wide and mid-shots and it has Elina Loewensohn as a scary nurse.

I also watched the last episode of season one of Breaking Bad and the first episode of season two of True Blood.

i watched "The Human Centipede" (great thriller) then "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" (adequate modernisation of the original with lots more gore and silly bits, but lacking the quirkiness so was a bit dull). also some of "Valley Girl", a 1983 chick flick with nicolas cage as a... punk i think? new waver? i'm not sure. anyway he was the outsider kid from downtown goin out with the posh girl from the valley. but the music the posh kids listened to at their party was much cooler. and actually they were all dressed pretty much the same as far as i could tell. anyway i turned it off after about half an hour.

The Pusher Trilogy

Brilliant :)

Three stories containing the same group of people but following each different ones' story each time. All are well into drugs from the high to the low end of the scale and all get in a right load of shit. Well worth watching, back to back if you can.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117407/

i have these are they really that good? i thought valhalla rising was a pile of wank.

Outlander because it had aliens and john hurt as a viking king.

I wish the protagonist had kept hold of his badass gun but I appreciate that the film would have been a sight shorter if he had. Alien turns up, hero shoots it, john hurt is impressed and names him successor. Roll credits.

Not a DVD or video, went to the Prince Charles Cinema (love that place) and saw Beetlejuice - Edward Scissorhands double bill.

Excellent Burton films, have not seen Beetlejuice for a long number of years and was good fun. Cost £12 each for both films, happy/helpful staff, comfy seats and NO TRAILERS, just a guy playing piano before the first film and in the interval :cool:

i have these are they really that good? i thought valhalla rising was a pile of wank.

I also thought that was shit. Didnt even realise they were done by the same guy. Absolutely nothing like these, if you want a gritty, realistic glimpse into the gangster life of copenhagen's streets then you could do far worse than Pusher :cool:

some ultra surreal episodes of Roobarb - including a Jekyl and Hyde/Phantom Of The Opera pastiche & one where he became a pirate,
complete with Robert Newton namecheck, a peg leg and a "plastic parrot called polystyrene":D *groan*

Oh and all the gold coins turned out to be dark chocolate on biting them (very that fake pounds thread lol)

death wish iv
clash of the titans

not exactly disappointing but dismal viewing all the time.
bronson was very wheezy - he didn't look too healthy, but murdering drug dealers and anyone else who gets in way seems to make him feel better. i think bush must have got his war on drugs policies from this film.

clash of the titans was considerably brightened by the hammy performances from neeson and fiennes, though i don't think the intention was to make us laugh so much. the plot was almost incoherent and judging by the amount of well-known actors who appeared to be extras (esp the gods), it has been cut considerably. the cgi was well ropey and the monster scenes nothing special. no clockwork owl as well :( pointless remake really. nothing can hold a candle to the original clash of the titans. this, excalibur, flash gordon and monty python & the holy grail were the most watched film in my childhood.

just watched the first episode of The Young Ones (Demolition) via seesaw (one of the episodes I've never seen) genius :D:D:D esp. the ultra serious and disparing russian(?) two handed drama/play like what BBC2 used to show happening next door, and the hip n' trendy + ernest yoof tv show w/ Ben Elton playing himself, the patronising twat.

eta: seesaw is wonderful, specially now my dvd player seems to be refusing to even load any discs it thinks are looking at it funny. Not sure about the fake ad break showing the same plugs as at the beginning in the middle of BBC shows though.:hmm:

Bronson - Tom Hardy's bloody brilliant and the film's a million miles away from the 'aren't criminals hilarious and admirable' nonsense I was expecting. You can't help liking Bronson and empathising with his plight (30 years locked up, 26 of it in solitary) whilst recognising how dangerous and unhinged he is. The more I think about it, the more I liked it - there are a couple of genuine laugh outloud moments, too.

Back
Top Bottom